Toe strikes and a sharp draw

jnug

Reaction score
Andy,

I have a question for you about hitting a sharp draw that is not quite a hook and toe hits.

Lately when I take my first swings out at the range, I will usually hit this thing that is not quite a hook but is surely one heck of a draw. I know that on occasion I hit the ball off the toe as well but sometime at this initial stage of a session I will hit the ball toward but not quite on the toe with the same result, a really sharp draw.

As I start to get my right elbow (I am right handed) pointed back toward the ball on the downswing I seem to start to get the ball straightened out. Once I get there I will usually stay there with the ball flying either straight or with a modest draw for the rest of the session.

In fact even though I have my wrists hinged properly I can just tell that I am not in position to hit the ball properly during those initial swings. I also suspect that I am not moving my weight forward as I turn during those initial swings as well and I might hit the ball fat on occasion as a result.

Anyway I guess what I think is happening is that I am coming across the ball too much inside out when I do not get my elbow pointed at the ball on the downswing. If you do come across the ball too much inside out would that cause the aforementioned toe strike and also cause the ball to turn pretty hard left ala’ the sharp draw that I referred to earlier?

More likely the club isn't getting down range enough post impact. You may be getting inside out, but it sounds to me like you aren't letting the club travel out and away from your body post impact. The quick exit will help cause the big hooks and it brings the toe of the club into play.

Yep that is it I believe. In fact, I have been warming up more before I start to swing in earnest and that has cut down on the number of early shots off line. So I think one thing I am going to do is take just a little more time warming up before taking the first cuts at the ball. I guess I thought that cutting across too sharply and "bailing on the shot" were the same thing. I did not think about them as two different things but I take your point. God I can't wait for the warm weather. Even though I use a heated bay range in the winter in reality it is still cold as hell there and it is just so hard to get feeling right. You want your swing to be loose and natural and all you can get your body to do is wrap in around itself to keep from freezing over.

Thanks as alway Andy!

Back