leading with my hips

the boss

golf addict help me!!
Reaction score
Handicap
hi Andy
my takeaway is good but im starting my downswing by leading with my hips and leaving my arms behind anything you could suggest?
cheers Darren
p.s i will get a video up this week

You need to lead with the hips. It sounds to me like the arms are not connected to the body in the down swing. Are you able to feel your right elbow get into your side in the down swing or does it feel like all arms and you are working to catch up?

If that is the case work on this around the house for a while. Get to your top and stop from here I want you to feel your right elbow move towards the ball NOT YOUR SIDE. When the elbow starts this move I want you to feel your right shoulder start to drop. The goal here is to get the right shoulder lower than the left as early in the downswing as possible. This move will also get you the feel of getting the arms connected to your body on the down swing. Let me know if this makes sense and I look forward to the video.

forgot to mention my 3 hybrid im hitting that sweet as but im topping pushing and slicing my irons badly

Not too bad on the camera work! I am seeing the disconnect that I was talking about above. I also notice at address you have a lot of your weight up in your toes. I would like to see you more balanced at the setup position.

cheers mate ill work on brining myelbow to the ball and dropping my right shoulder on the downswing

That was some great stuff boss. Your son sounds like he's having a blast, lol. "Come on dad", haha. Hard to tell on this laptop speaker what else he said.

#5 down, you looked pretty solid. Andy will have you smoothing it soon.

Haha, sounds the same on this, let along at that age. Must be nice to have a night range, or is it just that dark in the UK, lol.

hi andy
ive hit about 6 balls today with the ball alittle closer to help get my balance abit better and it seemed to work a treat ill have a propper session and post another vid for you.
would moving the ball a little closer work?

A little closer can help. Try this roll up a towel and place it under your arches at setup. Make sure you can feel the weight shift from heel to toe over the towel. Work into a position where you feel balanced over the towel.

ok quick update had a session last night and today. last night went well moving the ball closer and making sure i was balanced really helped. today my pro was back to work and he had a quick look just got me to stop leaning over so much and away i went very happy. will post another video ove rthe weekend when i take the lil un with me again.

Sounds like some great progress boss. How's things looking for an actual round this weekend? My guess is that you will be blowing away the 100 mark.

not sure yet we are having a very wet week. my lil girl turns 5 tomorrow and ive got her some clubs so looks like im taking her up the range lol but if my neighbour asks im going golf:golf3:

not sure yet we are having a very wet week. my lil girl turns 5 tomorrow and ive got her some clubs so looks like im taking her up the range lol but if my neighbour asks im going golf:golf3:

Happy Birthday to your little one. Sounds like you need to be filming her if it's her Birthday, lol.

ok so i didnt get to play a round today glad really weather wise buti did go down the range. my irons was spot on really happy there worked on getting balanced and getting my right arm in to my side. but what amazed me today was my driver i took the same advice with the swing first shot i didnt release my hands/club second rocketed out to about 260 yards:bulgy-eyes: thats easily 50 yards better than what id been driving last week. by the end of the session i had hit 275 yards going straight where the hell that extra yardage came from i dont know. but im getting the feeling of the right arm tucking in on the down swing and find it easier to turn through. i did however have a few shots where i didnt release my hands/club so working on that and a video will be up tomorrow.
only other problem was my 3 wood from the deck they was starting straight and spinning of right

Last edited:
The spin off to the right is the hands releasing a touch too late. Keep at it and I would love some updated video. Sounds to me like we are on the right path. 260 plus is awesome! Keep up the good work and I am looking forward to some new videos.

[video=youtube;kFovyZ-6lIU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFovyZ-6lIU[/video]

It looks like you are getting more comfortable with the move. You are looking more connected. By the way your daughter looks like the future of the game!

Keep at it and I will get you some more things to work on.

cheers Andy she enjoyed herself lol watching herspin like a helicopter was funny.

Haha, your daughter did a great job filming. Keep at it, looks like great headway so far.

Back