Anyone Watching Q-School Final Day?

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Unlike any other tournament in golf it's a serious emotional roller coaster...one shot either way. Oy vey!

I watched Scott Gordon three-putt 18 (missing a 3-footer for par) to drop to -9, which then meant he missed his card by a shot. It just made me sick to my stomach to see and I had to turn it off, the putt was so tentatively struck. But lucky for him, it dropped to -9 later on.

Congrats to my fellow Bama alum Michael Thompson on his 16th place finish earning his tour card for 2011!!! This was the same guy who called the penalty on himself at the Masters in 2008 that (if I remember correctly) cause him to miss the cut by 1.

It really is fun to watch...The last 2 days are the best...You can see some guys are near tears after every hole..Some guys are just throwing up on themselves on the last few holes trying to crawl in..So much can be riding on 1 shot..Over the years you've seen a number of guys bogey 18 to miss the number by 1...Heartbreaking to watch, but good TV drama...And it's great when a player can birdie the last few holes to wiggle his way in...Pressure golf...A lot of pressure, and I believe the medalist wins $50K...Not much for a pressure filled week of golf...BUT, they do get their tour card...And the pressure really begins...Q-School, It's just good TV...

I don't think there is a tournament in golf that has more pressure than Q-School. There is just so much at stake for these fellows.

It's amazing how some players can deal with the pressure and thrive on it while others let it get in the way. The ones that fold are not neccesarily poorer players. They have great golfing skills, however the mental part of golf is a total different animal.

It's amazing how some players can deal with the pressure and thrive on it while others let it get in the way. The ones that fold are not neccesarily poorer players. They have great golfing skills, however the mental part of golf is a total different animal.
You hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head Gray. All these guys are great ball strikers, have great short games, etc. At this level the only thing that separates them is what goes on between that five inches between the ears.

I really blew it missing this year's Q school. It is one of my favorite events. You can see how much it means to these guys. The release of pressure and anxiety at the end for the guys that are going to get their card is hard for them to hide even if they tend not to wear their emotions on their sleeves. I guess the gals version is still to come though. I am really going to make an effort to make sure i don't miss that.

I really blew it missing this year's Q school. It is one of my favorite events. You can see how much it means to these guys. The release of pressure and anxiety at the end for the guys that are going to get their card is hard for them to hide even if they tend not to wear their emotions on their sleeves. I guess the gals version is still to come though. I am really going to make an effort to make sure i don't miss that.
I think it's a lot tougher on the women as I don't believe they choose as many. The senior tour only takes the top five.

I think the ladies take 20 Sean so at least 5 less than the guys take.

Thanks Jnug. The senior tour only takes five! What's up with that?

Geez, I had no idea it was just 5. You would think they have enough guys tryin' that they would have to take more. Maybe it has something to do with the number of available pay slots per actual tourney and they want to keep the pay days per player up where it is. I wonder how many guys are trying for the 5 spots.

I don't know. Perhaps it's an exclusive club that they try to keep closed? Perhaps it's only really open to PGA Tour players?

Back