PGA Tour Sponsor Rumors

I could see it working. He is also a pretty boring dresser and only seems tow ear red white and blue which could easily change into adidas clothes and do the monochromatic look that so many of their guys do.

No wonder he had a rough day today, hes been OEMing.

I think Tmade would be a good fit.

Players Switching Sponsors

Players Switching Sponsors

With the recent post about players jumping ship in the off season I was wondering how the process worked to sign a golfer? Does the golfer try out the company's equipment first and then get signed? Or, are they approached by the company, signed and then begin the selection process for clubs? Just curious.

SMG

Moved to Golf on Tour.

In golf it is very much like any other sport. Agents and companies are involved. Sometimes its the former and sometimes its the latter.

Thanks JB. I guess it can be quite lucrative for many people.

I think this is a good question. We all saw Rory eyeing Tigers Method last weekend, makes you wonder what goes on in their head as their contracts are coming to an end.

True Seth. Just think back to earlier this year we saw Justin Rose gaming the white putter (can't remember name right now) and several others started using it a few weeks later. I guess some of the PGA players are club hoes just like many of us.

My personal feeling (and I have zero real knowledge on this subject) is that it is about 90% money and 10% equipment. If money wasn't a big part of it, then why do they all have a sponsorship? Most of these guys make enough that they could spend $4000-5000 a year on equipment. While these guys probably have some favorites, if you give them a little time, they could be great with just about any clubs. Tiger could be just as good (or bad) with a full set of Cleveland gear that he his with Nike, but I doubt Cleveland could pay him as much.

Definitely true on some level. I love it when a player plays something that s/he is not sponsored for. I feel like that is a true sign that the club company can manufacture something of good quality that a tour player would play.

Definitely true on some level. I love it when a player plays something that s/he is not sponsored for. I feel like that is a true sign that the club company can manufacture something of good quality that a tour player would play.

You see a lot of Adams hybrids in non Adams players bags, and a lot of the deals don't seem to include 3 woods, when player find a 3 wood they like they rarely change it regardless of their sponsor. That's my opinion from looking at the player's bags in the back of Golf Magazine, you see a lot of adams hybrids and old steelhead 3 woods etc...

To be honest, I don't think the difference between manufacturers is that big when it comes to the type of irons most of these guys use. Almost no-one signs on for 13-14 clubs anyways, from what I gather, so they just have to chuck a set if irons + some wedges or a driver/rescue in the bag.

I saw a WITB last month for Bernhard Langer. I thought it was pretty cool that he plays old Ben Hogan blades. Here's what he said, "My mixed set includes old Ben Hogan Apex long irons (3- through 5-iron), and the Adams Idea Pro Black MB in the 6-iron through pitching wedge. I use some old Apex shafts in them. I don't even know how old they are." If you look at the pic he had lead tape all over 2 of the Hogans.

WITBB_langer.jpg

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equi.../2010-12/photos-bernhard-langer#ixzz17TedcS9e

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/whats-in-my-bag/2010-12/photos-bernhard-langer#slide=13

I red that Tim Clark may be leaving Srixon/Cleveland as well, any truth to that?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question (i haven't been able to play or watch golf since the ryder cup) but was tiger using a odyssey sunday

sorry haven't figured out the quote thing -
the putter was a NIKE method 003

To be honest, I don't think the difference between manufacturers is that big when it comes to the type of irons most of these guys use. Almost no-one signs on for 13-14 clubs anyways, from what I gather, so they just have to chuck a set if irons + some wedges or a driver/rescue in the bag.

very true. It is very hard to keep up with what equipment a certain pro player is actually using.

Back