Speaking of Westwood...Unified Schedule?

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Golf-Westwood Calls for Unified Schedule
Reuters
Sun, 05 Dec 17:43:00 2010

World number one Lee Westwood called on Sunday for a unified golf schedule after winning the Sun City Challenge by a commanding eight strokes.

The Sun City is a 12-man invitational tournament that was the first to offer a million dollars to the winner and attracted a top-class field through the 1980s and 90s.

But the advent of the Tiger Woods era has led to massively increased prizemoney in the U.S. and the man Westwood deposed at the top of the rankings has had his own tournament -- the Chevron World Challenge -- running at the same time this week.

Westwood was in a league of his own at the Sun City Challenge where there were just three other golfers ranked in the top 20 and the Briton produced some top-class golf to shoot a 17-under-par total of 271.

He told reporters: "I always enjoy coming here but there are so many big tournaments now around the same time.

"It's unfortunate that the different golf bodies don't talk, instead of working against each other, and get a schedule that suits everybody, especially in this financial climate."

What do you think of his concept of a more unified schedule?

These guys aren't in the same "financial climate" as the rest of us! I guess he should have asked Tiger if he could have played in his tournament.

Separate tours, separate events, Lee. Has he gotten more mouthy since becoming Number 1?

I can see where he would think that it might be helpful, but I was just happy to have something to watch on network TV last weekend.

He's funny looking.

Kevin

Yeah maybe, but he sure can hit a golf ball.

I think it has merit, but deciding which events would be included I think would kill those events that did not become part of the unified schedule. You have the WGC events plus the majors already, granted all do not play the WGC events. But I'm sure between the R&A and USGA a decent schedule could be completed that left ample room for players to take part in adequate events of their choosing.

These guys aren't in the same "financial climate" as the rest of us! I guess he should have asked Tiger if he could have played in his tournament.

Separate tours, separate events, Lee. Has he gotten more mouthy since becoming Number 1?

His stay at number 1 won't be for long.

Westtooth reminds me of a kid who just got promoted to third key and is now on a huge power trip. Kind of makes you thankful for the kind of #1 that Tiger was/will be.

funny, i've been hearing this for close to a month now. yet one guy got it done over the weekend and another one didn't.

funny, i've been hearing this for close to a month now. yet one guy got it done over the weekend and another one didn't.

It won't be him for awhile.Westwood should never have been allowed to get that ranking.He never won anything worthy to earn it.Now, Martin Kaymer has played much better golf then westwood

There should be a unified league.
Then we wouldn't have an off season, they could just go down to south america during the winter time.

It won't be him for awhile.Westwood should never have been allowed to get that ranking.He never won anything worthy to earn it.Now, Martin Kaymer has played much better golf then westwood

He placed second in the Masters and the Open Championship and 16th in the US Open. And he won the st jude Classic this year which is US PGA tour Event.
I think he's done enough to appease the American fans, and every time he wants to draw the attention outside of America he get ridiculed for it.

don't hate the player, hate the game. i agree though, kaymer had the better year, but over the past two years no one has been as consistent as westwood.

don't hate the player, hate the game. i agree though, kaymer had the better year, but over the past two years no one has been as consistent as westwood at not winning majors after leading for 3 days.

FIFY :alien:

I have come to really, really like Westwood. I follow him on Twitter and he is even better than Poulter. A really funny guy. Plus in his interviews he seems so much more grounded and considerably less guarded than the US players who have basically become robotic in their responses.

I also would like to see a semi-unified tour. Designate certain events or dates as unified. Maybe something like, the majors, the WGC events and then 1 event per month for every month of the season. Not sure if that is realistic, but hey it's Christmas so put it on my list.

I have come to really, really like Westwood. I follow him on Twitter and he is even better than Poulter. A really funny guy. Plus in his interviews he seems so much more grounded and considerably less guarded than the US players who have basically become robotic in their responses.

I also would like to see a semi-unified tour. Designate certain events or dates as unified. Maybe something like, the majors, the WGC events and then 1 event per month for every month of the season. Not sure if that is realistic, but hey it's Christmas so put it on my list.

Semi-Unified Tour. I like it.

This whole semi-unified tour thing is rather funny to me. They have that. Its called WGC and Majors. If someone wants to compare tours, look no further than those events I guess. But the truth is, the only people that want this done (outside of fans of course) are the people that IN MY OPINION are playing on lesser talented tours from top to bottom. Of course Lee said what he said. Look at the two events that took place this weekend and decide which one had a better field.

I would rather enjoy more of the WGC type events. Including about 3 more a season (with top players from US, Euro and Asian tours invited) would be well received by me. Of course, doing so would just raise more issues/questions about whether they would count for points/money for all the various matrix systems.

don't hate the player, hate the game. i agree though, kaymer had the better year, but over the past two years no one has been as consistent as westwood.

I have to agree.He has been very consistent at collapsing in the final round to lose what should have been his win :D

I think Greg Norman proposed this in the 80's. It didn't fly then and won't now. There is too much money to be made by the tours and the players with multiple tournaments during the same weeks.

Should we feel bad that some have to choose between Sun City' $ million and Tiger's money? I don't think so.

The Unified Tour rant doesn't hold any water. We're talking about 2 events. One had 18 players. The other had 12. It's freaking December....The Silly Season.

Unless Freddy 'Boom-Boom' Couples, the wiki-proclaimed King of the Silly Season says the November-December schedule needs to change, then leave it alone.

Did he not get invited to TW's event? Or is he all pouty because Rory Mac and Poulter chose Thousand Oaks over sharing a gulfstream with Westy down to sunny S.A.

The bottle-opener becomes #1 and now he's like some kid who just got a Rosetta Stone for English CD. Look at me, I can talk.

In all seriousness I wish they were on separate weeks. I'd like to see the same 20-30 man field for each event. Maybe each major winner and each WGC winner. Along with Tour Champ, Euro Masters, Johhny Walker and Dubai winners. Then, complete the field from the world rankings.

Something like this:
EVENT WINNER OWGR
PGA Kaymer 3
Masters Mickelson 4
USOpen McDowell 7
WGC - Accenture Poulter 10
WGC - CA Els 12
WGC - HSBC Francesco Molinari 15
Dubai Robert Karlsson 16
WGC - Bridgestone Mahan 18
Johnny Walker Edoardo Molinari 19
British Oosthuizen 24
European Masters MA Jimenez 25
The Players Tim Clark 27
Tourn of Champ Ogilvy 31
OWGR 1 Westwood 1
OWGR 2 Woods 2
OWGR 5 Furyk 5
OWGR 6 Stricker 6
OWGR 8 Casey 8
OWGR 9 Donald 9
OWGR 11 McIlroy 11

Wow, what a good thread. Some very well grounded responses. I am almost left speechless…….nah you guys know me better than that.

There is simply too much money at play and the various competing interests have already got their lines drawn in the sand so I don’t see unified or semi- unified or any more unified than what we have now happening.

I would like to see a concession made to the RC by he PGA Tour with its FEDEX Cup so that the RC does not get pushed so far back into the year next time. If that happens though it will be because the PGA Tour is given a financial interest in rearranging its scheduling to accommodate the RC. No money, no accommodation.

Back