Cast vs Forged - The Master Debate

I just recently was looking to upgrade my iron set and I compared two sets side by side, one forged one cast. The JPX 800 vs 800 Pro, some will argue that Mizuno has the best forgings on the market today so it should be a good set to compare. Well if that's true then I have my answer regarding this thread, I honestly could not significantly tell a difference. I hit out on the toe, of course felt different but a sweet spot hit felt the same to me. For those that scream sound tips off the player to feel, I got you covered, I hit both sets while listening to A7X on the ipod so sound was not an issue. To me it boils down to cast has came along way in recent years so it's not your daddy's castings.

so, are we gonna see a set of JPX 800's in your bag soon?

btw, i love those irons.

Believe it or not there is more than one club ho on this forum. Having gone through my share of irons I've found that regardless of what club you have, forged or cast, if you hit it on the sweet spot the feeling is superb. In fact sometimes the cast feels better than the forged. For example, I owned a set of Adams CB2's and they were the harshest feeling set of forged clubs I ever hit. The nicest I ever hit were the Callaway X-Protos (weren't mine though).

That said the casting process has come a long way and IMHO it is difficult to distinguish between the two.

I will say that forged sounds cooler when you say it. Coolness can count for some.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Believe it or not there is more than one club ho on this forum. Having gone through my share of irons I've found that regardless of what club you have, forged or cast, if you hit it on the sweet spot the feeling is superb. In fact sometimes the cast feels better than the forged. For example, I owned a set of Adams CB2's and they were the harshest feeling set of forged clubs I ever hit. The nicest I ever hit were the Callaway X-Protos (weren't mine though).

That said the casting process has come a long way and IMHO it is difficult to distinguish between the two.

I think this is the key. Modern day casting is good.

That's the main reason I smoke.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

I can't really notice a difference between forged and cast for my game. I think it's much more important to get your irons fit for you and optimize shafts and so on than worry about whether the club is forged or not. I'm sure for some it matters more but i'm not swayed either direction.

ah, thank you sir! yes, i am one of the few that finds the "buttery soft", "working the ball", "supreme feel and performance" of forged clubs to be complete B.S. when compared to a cast iron. i've been doing slews of research and conducting my very own experiments and the simple fact is this:

forging is just a process, and cast'ing is just a process. the point is, it's just a different process in which golf clubs are made. i've said it a million times, the difference in feel between a well struck golf ball between cast/forged is virtually impossible to tell the difference between, and i'd be willing to be that blind testing would prove that.

personally, i think what one perceives as "feel" has a ton to do with what one hears at impact, ie, the sound of the ball strike.

this will be a great thread b/c there are the die hard forged heads out there. i hope that they can convince me.

We don't need to explain anything to you.You believe what you want.

If forged wasn't better,why don't we see any cast blades?Why is it that PING has always said Forged and cast is no difference,but now they have released a forged product?Why go against your belief?

If forged wasn't better,why don't we see any cast blades?Why is it that PING has always said Forged and cast is no difference,but now they have released a forged product?Why go against your belief?

i've been waiting for you mr. hostile and you didn't disappoint. perhaps you are a victim of good marketing? in fact, i think you are. i never went into anything thinking cast is better or forged is better. all i've ever said is that in my experiences there is absolutely no difference in feel between a well struck golf ball off of a cast club and a forged club.

maybe ping went against their belief so they can make more money off of suckers who buy into marketing hype? you tell me.

I currently play Adams Idea Pro Forged irons and they are very sweet. Not so forgiving if you thin it or toe it but super plush on center hits. I have also owned som Ping I5's that were great irons. Come to think of it I kind of regret selling them, but I digress. The forged definitely have something over the cast in terms of feel. There's just nothing like it. My two cents.

Isn't how the clubs feel when hit "on the button" more a function of the type of steel used, as well as clubhead design, rather than whether the clubhead was forged or cast? For example, if Mizuno made all their clubheads - forged or cast - out of 1025E mild carbon steel, I seriously doubt anyone could feel the difference between say a cast MP iron and a forged one.

i've been waiting for you mr. hostile and you didn't disappoint. perhaps you are a victim of good marketing? in fact, i think you are. i never went into anything thinking cast is better or forged is better. all i've ever said is that in my experiences there is absolutely no difference in feel between a well struck golf ball off of a cast club and a forged club.

maybe ping went against their belief so they can make more money off of suckers who buy into marketing hype? you tell me.
I said the same thing just a few posts before.

There you go right there. More money.

Here is your qoute "of forged clubs to be complete B.S. when compared to a cast iron." This line doesn't say anything?

Isn't how the clubs feel when hit "on the button" more a function of the type of steel used, as well as clubhead design, rather than whether the clubhead was forged or cast? For example, if Mizuno made all their clubheads - forged or cast - out of 1025E mild carbon steel, I seriously doubt anyone could feel the difference between say a cast MP iron and a forged one.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

It just so happens for many years only forged irons used softer metals. That has since changed. Its not a hard and fast rule anymore.

Because the people that buy blades have made it clear that they only buy certain types of equipment.

There you go right there. More money.

yep, more money for sure, and off of who? amateur golfers!

why is it that more and more tour professionals are migrating to cavity/split cavity cast irons and not playing forged blades? imo, b/c they aren't sacraficing performance one bit and they're getting more FORGIVENESS!

I know this isnt the place... but could we get a ding ding ding smiley?
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

It just so happens for many years only forged irons used softer metals. That has since changed. Its not a hard and fast rule anymore.

Here is your qoute "of forged clubs to be complete B.S. when compared to a cast iron." This line doesn't say anything?

yes, it says what i've been saying for months, that there is absolutely no difference in feel between a well struck golf ball of the face of a cast club and a forged club. that's exactly what that line says.

You may be correct on this.

Could you explain something for me? Vokeys are 8620 cast and the ADAMS New forging are aslo 8620,but IMHO the Vokey's feel better at impact.why?

I think most will agree that on a well struck shot, there isn't much difference in feel. What does everyone think on misshits like off the toe or thin struck shots?? I don't hit the sweet spot every time, so does the feel in that aspect make a difference??

Because the people that buy blades have made it clear that they only buy certain types of equipment.

Only untill something else is better.To me the best feeling Cast clubs has been the R7 Tp,but nothing else has been close.

You may be correct on this.

Could you explain something for me? Vokeys are 8620 cast and the ADAMS New forging are aslo 8620,but IMHO the Vokey's feel better at impact.why?

Doesnt that de-myth the entire argument. it has been what many have said for years. Process does not matter much anymore. Its about metal and weighting. The vokeys have great weighting in comparison when it comes to feel. Shape, weighting, metal used are more important than process.

I think most will agree that on a well struck shot, there isn't much difference in feel. What does everyone think on misshits like off the toe or thin struck shots?? I don't hit the sweet spot every time, so does the feel in that aspect make a difference??

And this is the key reason why a more forgiving and just as good feeling cast club wins out. The shots out on the toe dont feel nearly as bad as they do with a forged club.

Everything I've been told from several people with connections to PING is that they created those forged clubs pretty much so they could try to break into the Asian market participially Japan where they won't buy anything buy forged...

If you haven't noticed marketing for the Anser irons in the US is pretty much non-existent

Of course hitting any club on the sweet spot is going to make the club feel better.The only cast club to this date that had me look twice was the TM R7 Tp clubs.Those felt pretty darn good.

To one writter who said more pro's are switching- They are switching to CB type clubs not GI,and unfortunatly those clubs never see the retail market.98% of the time

Back