Mount Rushmore of Putter Makers

Surprised none of you have mentioned Clay Long yet. Clay's made some legendary putters and practically invented the oversize putter category with the model Nicklaus used to win the 1986 Masters. Perhaps he is more well-known for his iron and wood technology, but when I think of great putter designers, I have to give consideration to Clay Long.

Surprised none of you have mentioned Clay Long yet. Clay's made some legendary putters and practically invented the oversize putter category with the model Nicklaus used to win the 1986 Masters. Perhaps he is more well-known for his iron and wood technology, but when I think of great putter designers, I have to give consideration to Clay Long.

Good point. I can attest to Clay Longs great putter making by the one I tested at the Florida outing. I've wanted that beauty ever since, lol. I just havn't seen a lot of design changes for a while.

How do you find out where Duey is?

Spoiler
Mention CL and he will come running ;)

How do you find out where Duey is?

Mention CL and he will come running ;)

Haha, picked right up on that one huh?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Of course, maybe the putter that started it all is the Calamity Jane and to this day, no one knows the original designer or producer. So maybe we should have one faceless spot on Mt. Puttmore to pay homage to the anonymous genius that changed putter design forever with it. It seems to me that I've ready somewhere that Calamity Jane even inspired the 8802 which inspired so many more heel-shafted gems.

It seems that there are a lot of repeat "performers" on here, but the last spot or two always is up in the air.

It seems that there are a lot of repeat "performers" on here, but the last spot or two always is up in the air.

I think there should be a fifth spot on this list. I think the top 4 should all be sitting on Scotty Cameron's head.

John Reuter Jr- Bullseye Putter
Karsten Solheim- Anser and many more
TP Mills- Milling and black oxide too name a couple
Dave Pelz- 2-Ball putter, science of putting probably influenced many designs also

John Reuter Jr- Bullseye Putter
Karsten Solheim- Anser and many more
TP Mills- Milling and black oxide too name a couple
Dave Pelz- 2-Ball putter, science of putting probably influenced many designs also

Great list.

I feel like there are some great names in this thread, except I feel that Ray Cook is left out. He has over 200 tour wins to his name and has been around forever. I know the company isn't what it used to be in the 80's and 90's, he still made some great putters that change the golfing world.

I feel like there are some great names in this thread, except I feel that Ray Cook is left out. He has over 200 tour wins to his name and has been around forever. I know the company isn't what it used to be in the 80's and 90's, he still made some great putters that change the golfing world.

Thats a great one for sure! Forgot all about RC, the Blue Goose's are still great sticks.

Sean from Putterzone and myself will be talking about this very topic on the upcoming Greenside Radio Show.

Sean from Putterzone and myself will be talking about this very topic on the upcoming Greenside Radio Show.

Great, can't wait to hear who's to be immortalized.

Karsten Solheim is my pick for the top of the litter. The man just had an awesome vision and talent for creating some master pieces with the flatstick.​

I am not super knowledgable about names of designer, but here is my two cents on what I think are the biggest achievements in putting history, if you know the names I left out please let me know.

The Anser style putter (Karsten Solhiem). The has never been a more influential design than this one.

The milled putter (TP Mills). From reading the posts it seems that most are in agreement that he is the father of milled putters.

Whoever designed the first insert for putters. I don't know who this is but go to the local golf shop and do a survey of all the putters. The majority of today's putters are either milled or have an insert (or sometimes both). Which is fitting since the putter insert is the biggest innovation to hit putters since milling.

Whoever created the 2 ball. I personally don't use it but it is everywhere. To me the 2 ball is the embodiment of the science of putter that rules the putting world today. Companies dump hundreds of thousands of dollars into putter technology so they can deliver the most technically advanced putter on the market.

These are my thoughts sorry again that I don't know the names of everyone.

Back