Too Much Driver and 3-wood back spin

coolbreeze

Aspiring Golferr
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 8.9
I recently did a driver and 3 wood fitting on a launch monitor with some interesting results. On both the 3-wood and the driver my launch angles were great, swing speed 105-108 driver, 93-96 3 wood, but I was getting wayyyyy to much spin. For driver and 3 wood I was around 5000 rpm to 5300 rpms and the launch monitors showed what my distances could be if I reduced my spin rates. My question is what causes the excess spin, too step, too flat and is there a drill to correct this issue. Thank you in advance.

Too much spin can be brought on a number of ways. DO you play a fade/slice? If so cut spin increases back spin readings on a vector. Flipping your hands through the impact zone versus turning the hands down to square the club face adds back spin. Looking into the gear side of things the lower the kick point on the shaft the spinner that shot will be. Let me know if you think might be the cause and we can work from there.

Thanks Andy. I am a lefty and play a baby fade on almost all shots. The 3 wood a bought had the least amount of backspin and it had a mid kick point, but if I had to guess based on my swing I would say it would flipping my hands at impact versus turning them.

To try and get the feel of turning the hands down versus the flip try this around the house. Place an old pillow on the ground. Take some very easy swing and try to turn the toe of the club into the pillow. I don't mean just feel the club rotate, I mean I want the toe of the club facing down range as it gets to the pillow. This will get you the feel of a proper release.

Now I don't want you hitting shots this way I want you to use this to feel the rotation of the hands versus flipping. Let me know how things go.

Thank you very much I will work on this and try to post a video later on this week.

Was this from your Greenroom fitting Cool Breeze? We found the same thing with me and they nailed it down to:
A: As Andy said, the kickpoint on the shaft is likely off. That was personally killing me with a KP far to low
B: Downward attack. I still hit down on the ball about 2 degrees which is a big fat no-no for getting driver/wood distance

Hope Andy's drill helps out!

Was this from your Greenroom fitting Cool Breeze? We found the same thing with me and they nailed it down to:
A: As Andy said, the kickpoint on the shaft is likely off. That was personally killing me with a KP far to low
B: Downward attack. I still hit down on the ball about 2 degrees which is a big fat no-no for getting driver/wood distance

Hope Andy's drill helps out!

Yes it was the green room. I was not hitting down on the ball and my launch angle was great so I think it is a combination of shaft and what Andy has told me to work on.

Back