Time for new phone What to get?

kcfromva

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys, Its about time to renew my contract with verizon. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a new phone. As of right now I have the versa touch phone with a keyboard which I like. I was thinking of going with the droid 2 because it has a keyboard and I have the fat finger syndrome with touch screens.Does anyone have experience with this or any other droid phones? any input would be helpful and appreciated.

I have the Droid Incredible. It's an amazing device. If it was me, I'd wait until Feb. The LTE capable, Tegra 2 based phones should start landing around that time. They will make the current slate of droids look like Nokias from 2001.

Been an Apple Iphone guy since day one. Verizon's line of smart phones are technically just as good if not better. Plus with so many different models, you can really get one tailored to one that fits your specific needs. Plus verizon's network is better. Having said all that their phones have one problem: They are not Iphones.

I know it sounds stupid, but remember the first couple of years MP3 players were big? Everyone would look at yours and say "is that a IPOD?" I like my iphone cuz people are going to look at your Droid and say "That's a cool looking Iphone!"

Plus my uncle works at apple and I got a discount..... :D

I couldnt go with anything but a BB

Usually I'd be doing all my Verizon research for a new device around this time of year, but I too have made the decision to jump to an iPhone.

My personal feeling is that the android phones are better for play and the blackberries are good for functionality. We have two of the Samsung android phones (through ATT) in the house and I have a BB Bold. My personal preference is the BB because it does certain things I like that the Samsungs don't. However I am frequently jealous that the wife and son get these neat games or apps that can't have. Still wouldn't trade the BB, but the androids are certainly more fun. I think Verison has the Samsung droid also, which is a pretty good phone. Not sure how it may compare to the LGs or Motorolas.

BB for functionality, android for fun and games.

My personal feeling is that the android phones are better for play and the blackberries are good for functionality. We have two of the Samsung android phones (through ATT) in the house and I have a BB Bold. My personal preference is the BB because it does certain things I like that the Samsungs don't. However I am frequently jealous that the wife and son get these neat games or apps that can't have. Still wouldn't trade the BB, but the androids are certainly more fun. I think Verison has the Samsung droid also, which is a pretty good phone. Not sure how it may compare to the LGs or Motorolas.

BB for functionality, android for fun and games.

What kind of functionality are you talking about? I haven't found anything yet that I can't do with my DInc.

That's not true, I haven't found an app yet that searches all of the golf forums and websites for clubs I want to buy ;)

I've got the iPhone and the BF is getting the Droid 2. He has an iPhone as well, but will use the Droid 2 for business. He's had the Voyager before, but it finally died completely on him.

What kind of functionality are you talking about?

Mostly just simple things that some phones don't do, but are things I prefer. Now that the teenager has the andriod he is coming up with things the wife and I didn't know were there. However he frequently has to download an app to do certain things, where the BB it is just standard fare. Like being able to input several different items for each contact. Within one contact entry, I can put in multilpe phone numbers, fax numbers, e-mails, personal info, and much more. Select one contact, get all their info. I really like being able to set different alert tones for anything that needs an alert. Anything that comes over the phone to alert you it's there, can have a different ringtone or vibrate pattern, or both. E-mail and calender sync are excellent too, although most have caught up on the calender things, but maybe not the e-mail.

These kind of things may be on other devices and I just haven't looked enough. With BB they are pretty standard and easy to use and adjust.

Mostly just simple things that some phones don't do, but are things I prefer. Now that the teenager has the andriod he is coming up with things the wife and I didn't know were there. However he frequently has to download an app to do certain things, where the BB it is just standard fare. Like being able to input several different items for each contact. Within one contact entry, I can put in multilpe phone numbers, fax numbers, e-mails, personal info, and much more. Select one contact, get all their info. I really like being able to set different alert tones for anything that needs an alert. Anything that comes over the phone to alert you it's there, can have a different ringtone or vibrate pattern, or both. E-mail and calender sync are excellent too, although most have caught up on the calender things, but maybe not the e-mail.

These kind of things may be on other devices and I just haven't looked enough. With BB they are pretty standard and easy to use and adjust.

I can do pretty much everything you listed with the HTC Sense's "People" app and Handcent. So if you were to say that Android can't do what BB does out of the box, you'd be mostly right, but you'd be ignoring all of the add-on apps that do what you need and more. That's really the point of Android. It's nearly infinitely customizable.

I was looking at the T-Mobile site today. They have the Garmin-Asus Garminfone.

My phone contract is expired and is also up for an upgrade special and I can get this free with a 2 yr contract. My wifes phone is still under contract. So, no specials for her. I'm thingking of getting get the Garminfone, swap out the SIM cards, and I use her old phone. Plus, she wants voice GPS. Best of both worlds right?

My phone contract is expired and is also up for an upgrade special and I can get this free with a 2 yr contract. My wifes phone is still under contract. So, no specials for her. I'm thingking of getting get the Garminfone, swap out the SIM cards, and I use her old phone. Plus, she wants voice GPS. Best of both worlds right?

Research that phone before you do that. I heard nothing but bad things about it.

You should get a Droid Pro by Motorola. It's a hybrid which has a touch screen and a keyboard (like the Blackberry). It's awesome!

Research that phone before you do that. I heard nothing but bad things about it.

Where'd you hear/read bad things about it. I've never heard of the phone before today. CNET likes it, which is usually where I go for tech reviews.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/garminfone-t-mobile/4505-6452_7-34097120.html
CNET Garminfone Review

Personally, I don't think my wife needs a gps. We don't go anywhere. LOL! And, I fear broken windows and stolen gps when, not if, she leaves it in the car.

I have a blackberry and an android phone. I like the android better, but the blackberry is fine too.

Where'd you hear/read bad things about it. I've never heard of the phone before today. CNET likes it, which is usually where I go for tech reviews.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/garminfone-t-mobile/4505-6452_7-34097120.html
CNET Garminfone Review

Personally, I don't think my wife needs a gps. We don't go anywhere. LOL! And, I fear broken windows and stolen gps when, not if, she leaves it in the car.

I take that back, I was thinking of the first Garmin phone, this is a newer one. It got a 7 on Engadget, which isnt bad.

Pretty much every Android phone is a GPS too. Google Maps on Android will do turn by turn instructions. It's not voice activated (yet), but it'll do everything else. I would definitely do my homework on this guy before buying. The two most gigantic red flags on this guy are that it's only running Android 1.6 and it's got a 600mhz CPU. You're missing a TON of functionality on that OS and that CPU won't support anything going forward. The 3.5" screen is horrifically small. It's also got one of the worst cameras and battery life stats around.

Most review sites that aren't c-net couldn't find much to like about it.

I have an iPhone and I can't live without it. My dad has been drooling over my phone for a few years now (I'm on my second iPhone), even though he is on AT&T he keeps on getting phones that aren't the iPhone and all he does is complain about what ever phone he gets. He is now on phone #4 and has had all of the supposed iPhone killers and each one is a disappointment. IMO. That being said AT&T is awful! It looks like it is really legit that Verizon is finally getting the iPhone. If it was me then I would wait and get the Verizon iPhone.

Pretty much every Android phone is a GPS too. Google Maps on Android will do turn by turn instructions. It's not voice activated (yet), but it'll do everything else. I would definitely do my homework on this guy before buying. The two most gigantic red flags on this guy are that it's only running Android 1.6 and it's got a 600mhz CPU. You're missing a TON of functionality on that OS and that CPU won't support anything going forward. The 3.5" screen is horrifically small. It's also got one of the worst cameras and battery life stats around.

Most review sites that aren't c-net couldn't find much to like about it.

Good info. Thanks. The GPS definitely has to have voice. I think GPS without voice is a wreck waiting to happen. The battery life is also what every reviewer put as a CON. Maybe I'll bite the bullet on a pure gps (TomTom or Garmin). It's Christmas time. I can get a good one for $100....and keep the phones we have.

Good info. Thanks. The GPS definitely has to have voice. I think GPS without voice is a wreck waiting to happen. The battery life is also what every reviewer put as a CON. Maybe I'll bite the bullet on a pure gps (TomTom or Garmin). It's Christmas time. I can get a good one for $100....and keep the phones we have.

Probably a better plan.

I have an iPhone and I can't live without it. My dad has been drooling over my phone for a few years now (I'm on my second iPhone), even though he is on AT&T he keeps on getting phones that aren't the iPhone and all he does is complain about what ever phone he gets. He is now on phone #4 and has had all of the supposed iPhone killers and each one is a disappointment. IMO. That being said AT&T is awful! It looks like it is really legit that Verizon is finally getting the iPhone. If it was me then I would wait and get the Verizon iPhone.
I'm really curious about this whole Verizon iPhone thing. I've seen Verizon kind of ruin a good thing by killing some of the features in lieu of Verizon's pre-existing features. I could definitely see that happening again.

I'm really curious about this whole Verizon iPhone thing. I've seen Verizon kind of ruin a good thing by killing some of the features in lieu of Verizon's pre-existing features. I could definitely see that happening again.

That is a very good point and could very well be the case. Although with Apple being as controlling as they are Verizon will have a to fight to kill any of Apples features.

That is a very good point and could very well be the case. Although with Apple being as controlling as they are Verizon will have a to fight to kill any of Apples features.
Yeah it'll be a tug of war for sure.

Back