TaylorMade Forged irons: Coming next year?

A cast club is molten metal poured into a club head mold. A forged club is a block of metal pressed or "pounded" into a shape of a club head.

Do you know what the block of metal looks like before it is pressed or pounded? Meaning how it became a block of metal.

Do you know what the block of metal looks like before it is pressed or pounded? Meaning how it became a block of metal.

Id think its molten just how all metal starts out and is poured into the block. Hmmm is there really that much difference?

Id think its molten just how all metal starts out and is poured into the block. Hmmm is there really that much difference?

This would be my first thought as well.

good read on mizuno's forging process. My swing coach is a mizuno rep so hes always bringing up their merits lol

http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/forging/forgingahead.php

Yup, their forging process is legendary. So is Miura's, and many other places. Based on the fact that the link you provided is from the Mizuno website, it is also very clear that it is used as marketing. Whether there is merit to the process or not, it is certainly used as marketing.

JB,

How are you expecting these clubs to play out as far as forgiveness. It seems the "cavity back" can mean anything from GI (mx1000) to players iron (mp 53). Sorry to use mizuno as a comparison but I am more familiar with them as far as forgiveness/playability.

Is the CB going to be more like an mx1000 or mx300, will the mc be more like the mx300 or like a mp63?

Do these questions even make sense to anyone other than me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB,

How are you expecting these clubs to play out as far as forgiveness. It seems the "cavity back" can mean anything from GI (mx1000) to players iron (mp 53). Sorry to use mizuno as a comparison but I am more familiar with them as far as forgiveness/playability.

Is the CB going to be more like an mx1000 or mx300, will the mc be more like the mx300 or like a mp63?

Do these questions even make sense to anyone other than me?

Not sure I can answer that, but if I had to guess. I would say R9, R9 TP, Blade

Not sure I can answer that, but if I had to guess. I would say R9, R9 TP, Blade

Thanks for the speculation JB. Pictures (and magazine ones at that) make it hard to tell. There doesn't look like a ton of cavity on the mc so it makes me question the forgiveness.

Any idea when thp will have these on hand to give initial thoughts? Need to know which ones to put on my spring radar!

Thanks for the speculation JB. Pictures (and magazine ones at that) make it hard to tell. There doesn't look like a ton of cavity on the mc so it makes me question the forgiveness.

Any idea when thp will have these on hand to give initial thoughts? Need to know which ones to put on my spring radar!

We were told VERY soon. In fact had we not been moving our THP HQ, we might have had them already. But our gut feeling is in the next couple of weeks now. Maybe sooner.

We were told VERY soon. In fact had we not been moving our THP HQ, we might have had them already. But our gut feeling is in the next couple of weeks now. Maybe sooner.
I am super excited to see real life in hand pics of these irons. The magazine pic posted in this thread definitely don't indicate too much. Nothing beats the THP in hand pics!

I am super excited to see real life in hand pics of these irons. The magazine pic posted in this thread definitely don't indicate too much. Nothing beats the THP in hand pics!

I have to agree buddy, I cant wait to see some in hand pics cause TM just always brings it.

That's awesome news. TM certainly knows how to time their releases to keep their name fresh and 'out there'

Hopefully I am right. I know there was a slight delay in these, but I am looking forward to putting some swings on them. We hear things like that screw is ugly, or too busy, but in actuality, we hear the same things about every iron and usually they look better in person. Perfect example is the Callaway RAZR line. I think these will look quite good in person (at least I hope so).

Hopefully I am right. I know there was a slight delay in these, but I am looking forward to putting some swings on them. We hear things like that screw is ugly, or too busy, but in actuality, we hear the same things about every iron and usually they look better in person. Perfect example is the Callaway RAZR line. I think these will look quite good in person (at least I hope so).

Do we know what the screw is for exactly? I think tolerating the look will be easier if there is a purpose behind it (and it isn't cosmetic)

Do we know what the screw is for exactly? I think tolerating the look will be easier if there is a purpose behind it (and it isn't cosmetic)

Not off hand, as my tech info is still packed. However if I had to guess, it is to repurpose weight in that area.

Not off hand, as my tech info is still packed. However if I had to guess, it is to repurpose weight in that area.

No rush. If you find something good as the boxes get unpacked, feel free to share it. Inquiring minds want to know!

I like the screw really. They make the irons look industrial and a little steam punk. I am thinking that it is a weighting system where the weight can be shifted to right, middle or left. Can't wait to see in hand pics and reviews on these. Does TM know your new address? haha

plus in the grand scheme of things, does anyone really care what the back of the club looks like? besides being in the bag, etc. when will you see it? address? nope. swing? nada. sometimes I think aesthetics get in the way of facts. if you're hitting something well and get results with it, who cares how it looks. especially if said looks aren't always visible?

Great point. I do care how my irons look to be honest but it wont stop me from gaming them. In fact, first time I laid eyes on my current set I wasn't a fan. After hitting them the looks started to grow on me. Now I think they're some of the best looking around. Performance does eventually change that fact imo.

plus in the grand scheme of things, does anyone really care what the back of the club looks like? besides being in the bag, etc. when will you see it? address? nope. swing? nada. sometimes I think aesthetics get in the way of facts. if you're hitting something well and get results with it, who cares how it looks. especially if said looks aren't always visible?

those are some good pictures, the blade is over my skill level, but the other 2 would be an option for me.

interesting that they're not using KBS shafts. it's also nice to see that everything is available in LH. also interesting that they're only one degree less than the 2.0's in the long/mid irons. these should be fairly long.

Great post BirdieBob! Now I'm even MORE excited to see real life THP in hand pics. Nothing looks as good as THP in hand pics!

I hope these are at the outing next year, I really want to hit them

Back