What do you have after your 4 wood?

crazygolfnut

Let's have fun out there!
Reaction score
Handicap
I am trying to figure out what I should have between my 4 wood and 5 iron. What others woods or hybrids do you have? I was thinking about replacing my G10 5 wood (18.5 deg) with a R9 5 wood (19 deg). Any thoughts?

Drive 10.5 deg - stays in the bag
4 wood 17 deg - stays in the bag

5 wood 18.5 deg - not sure
7 wood 21.5 deg - not sure
4 hybrid 22 deg - not sure

5 iron - stays in the bag

thanks in advance:act-up:

Last edited:
from my 4 wood I got to a 3h and 4h.

My Rescue 5H plays about one club longer than my 5I, so would fit in there nicely in my opinion.

I go 4wd to 4 iron. I have experienced with hybrids, they just do not like me.

If you have 4W, I'd say drop the 5W since they're so close together and maybe add in a 2H or strong 3H to bridge the gap?

I have a 3W-4U-3H-4H setup - but the 4U plays like a 5W, slightly shorter shaft than a 5W but 2* stronger loft with a head sized between a wood and a hybrid.

I say... fill in the gap with whatever club will fill in the yardage gap between your 4w and 5i. Some people hit woods better while other hit hybrids better.

Test out both, find out which club you hit the best and most consistently with the yardage that fits in the middle between your 4w and 5i.

in between my 5w and 4 iron I use a 20 degree hybrid.

I wish I had that problem.
I fell in love with the FT-IZ fairway woods at the THP outing, but unfortunately they dont offer a 4W (for RH or LH)
So I got the 3W.
I was hitting it so well, that I got a 5W as well and dropped my 3H.

3W - 15* (43")
5W - 18* (42.5")
4H - 23* (39.25")
5I - 24* (37.75")

My 3H is 20* at 40". I am thinking my setup right now create less of a gap then swapping the 4H out for the 3H....

I used to carry a 5 wood, but I dropped it from the bag along with the 3 iron.
I now carry a 3 and 4 hybrid. I also dropped the 4 iron and added a lob wedge.
Those were some of the best moves I have ever made in equipment.

The Mafia is after my 4 wood. It's a squealer, but I hit it well so I let it hide out in my bag.

Kevin

I am trying to figure out what I should have between my 4 wood and 5 iron. What others woods or hybrids do you have? I was thinking about replacing my G10 5 wood (18.5 deg) with a R9 5 wood (19 deg). Any thoughts?

My 4 wood is in my spare bag in the garage. I chose to keep a weak (15 deg) 3 wood in the bag instead, and then I go to a 22° hybrid. You can see in my sig what the rest of my bag looks like.

Im curious what kind of distance difference you see between the 4 wood and 5 wood. Thats only 1.5 degree of loft? I would think you hit those maybe 5 yards difference? 3-4 degrees would be the minimum gap i would use on the low end of a bag. Up top i usually see 5-6 degrees.

So taking that into consideration:

Driver 10.5
3 wood: 15
Fairway Wood/Hybrid: 20
4 Hybrid: 23
5 iron: 26

What is the loft of your 5 iron?

I think that would better space your gaps, but again i am not a pro haha- just my two cents

It looks like the bottom of you're bag is gap free to me , i would leave it as is .

Driver 9.5
3wood 15
3h 20
4h 24
5i 26

I plan on getting the mashie in 18.5 and going back to a 4i (23*) or trying to find a good 22* hybrid.

Right now I have nothing between 210 and 230+ which can actually help. I don't feel the desire to go for the 220 second shot on a par5. If I really need that distance I soft a 3 wood and try to cut it a little bit. Works ok in a pinch. Not a ton of 220 second shots on par 4s or par threes longer than 210.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im curious what kind of distance difference you see between the 4 wood and 5 wood. Thats only 1.5 degree of loft? I would think you hit those maybe 5 yards difference? 3-4 degrees would be the minimum gap i would use on the low end of a bag. Up top i usually see 5-6 degrees.

What is the loft of your 5 iron?

Good question. there is about a 20 yard diff between my 4 and 5 woods. My 5 iron is 26 deg.

Back