Mount Rushmore of Putter Makers

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
In a recent review we did on the TP Mills Anvil Series, I commented that TP Mills would be on the Mount Rushmore of putter makers. This topic came up in a recent conversation I had with Sean from Putterzone in our recording of the next Greenside Radio Show.

We decided that before the December show, we wanted this topic on THP to see what you guys had in mind. When you hear the latest Greenside Show on THP Radio next week, you will laugh as we cannot remember how many people are on Mount Rushmore. It was quite funny.

So here is the question. Who would be on your Mount Rushmore of putter creators and why?

No brands, only makers or people behind the scenes, or someone that came up with certain ideas.

You must have a reason for them being there. In other words, don't say Scotty, Kia, Karsten, TP and give no reasons. Tell us what you think puts their name and face up in stone.

This should be a fun thread that should have some incredible and polarizing opinions.

The first person that comes to my mind is Karsten Solheim since one of his designs is such a staple of putters everywhere.

• Admin
The first person that comes to my mind is Karsten Solheim since one of his designs is such a staple of putters everywhere.

I would have to agree.

i hate to say it but i don't believe i've ever rolled a putter from any of the greats. sucks to be me i suppose. you are right though, this should be interesting. i'm sure jman and duey will have plenty to say :p

• Admin
i hate to say it but i don't believe i've ever rolled a putter from any of the greats. sucks to be me i suppose. you are right though, this should be interesting. i'm sure jman and duey will have plenty to say :p

Im not so sure about that. I dont think you have to have tried one to have a vote. I mean I have never driven a Ferrari, but I know they are incredibly well made.

Karsten Solheim- true pioneer of golf and the putter started it all. Anser style putter is what started it all.
Scotty Cameron- mainly the name recognition than anything, even casual golf equipment followers know a Scotty is special.
Robert Bettinardi- In my mind nothing says quality like a Bettinardi putter. 20 years of amazing putters speak for themselves.
TP Mills- Any list of putter pioneers has to start with TP Mills, "he was the first maker to do _______" should be etched in his headstone.

Great thread, can't wait to hear everyone's list!

Im not so sure about that. I dont think you have to have tried one to have a vote. I mean I have never driven a Ferrari, but I know they are incredibly well made.

well, good point. my mt. rushmore head would be bob bettinardi. having first hand seen his 2011 collection, it's so impressive! they are stunning, and just true pieces of art.

the country club series is the best looking putter i've ever seen in person.

Good or bad I first thought of Scotty Cameron. Even though I've never played one his name seems synonymous with putters and putting. Is this because of marketing/hype or my age (36) where I would not think of say Karstem Solheim first?

Karsten Solheim gets a vote from me too as well as T.P. Mills

Well Hawk ruined my response.

JK buddy but you said exactly how I planned to respond.

I agree with Hawk, I say Scotty as when I first read the question, his name immediately came to mind. I think a lot of people would say the same thing, and that in my mind earns him a spot on the mountain.

Karsten Solheim - If you invented the Anser style putter and you never touched metal again, your face should be carved into stone.

Kia Ma - This guy is the real deal. Scotty Cameron gets the most name recognition, but Kia taught Cameron how to finish putters back in the day. Where Cameron copies designs, Kia innovates and you can clearly see this in TaylorMade's putters.

Whoever Designs SeeMore putters - In my opinion, one of the best putter companies out there. They create wonderful original designs that other companies copy.

Karsten Solheim - His accomplishments and all the benefits he has brought to the game of golf, putting included. True innovator.

Cameron and Bettinardi - A long time running and still evolving with the game.

Byron Morgan - I'm surprised no one has gone there. He goes back a long way and has made a pretty important name in the industry. (Dale Head)

T.P. Mills - Just name recognition for me. I really know very little about his work.

Sam Snead, Bob Duden, Bobby Jones - I know they are not manufacturers, but felt the names should be included for their input to the field.

The Future Looks Bright List:

Gene Nead
Lajosi
Piretti
Palombi

Duey. Mt Rushmore only has 4 spaces...:alien:

Duey's Mt Rushmore can have how many ever spaces he wants! You tell em Due, shoot, you probably carved the original anyway!

Here is an interesting thought. What is the criteria for getting on this supposed Mt Rushmore? Innovation? Sales? The reason I ask is because some guys could be argued yay or nay.

Scotty Cameron - Cannot deny his abilities of both craftsmanship or marketing. But innovator?
What about De La Cruz - One of, if not THE first to ever use a CNC milling machine on putters. But lacking in sales of course once on his own.
What about Dave Pelz? I know what your thinking...Dave Freaking Pelz? He does not even make putters. Yes, that is true, but he was the creator and patent holder of the 2-ball design.

A person could add Clovis "Duke" Duclos the guy who invented Slotline putters, he was the first to introduce MOI in putter building.

Here is an interesting thought. What is the criteria for getting on this supposed Mt Rushmore? Innovation? Sales? The reason I ask is because some guys could be argued yay or nay.

Scotty Cameron - Cannot deny his abilities of both craftsmanship or marketing. But innovator?
What about De La Cruz - One of, if not THE first to ever use a CNC milling machine on putters. But lacking in sales of course once on his own.
What about Dave Pelz? I know what your thinking...Dave Freaking Pelz? He does not even make putters. Yes, that is true, but he was the creator and patent holder of the 2-ball design.

Wow I had no idea he designed the two ball , thats why I love this place , you learn something every day .

A person could add Clovis "Duke" Duclos the guy who invented Slotline putters, he was the first to introduce MOI in putter building.

That is possibly a great addition.

Wow I had no idea he designed the two ball , thats why I love this place , you learn something every day .

We aim to please.

This really is a great topic. Because it means so many different things to different people.

I thought about Slotline, I had no idea of his name, but been usingtheir product since the early 90's. Can anyone confirm if this was the first time the term MOI was used in golf, not just putters?

So, I think it would go something like this

Scotty Cameron- Mainly because he creates some beautiful designs and has a way with the paintbrush and stamps on a putter

Karsten Solheim- Originator of the most used design in putters

Bob Bettinardi- Great looking putters, and the honeycomb face and inserts are pretty solid in his design

Harold Swash- Creator of the C-Groove in Yes! putters. Probably one of the most innovative designs on a putter face outside of face inserts

Thats my rushmore

For those who like their center shafted putters. This was innovation in it's day...

KSolheim1.png

KSolheim2.png

Karsten Solheim: the Anser putter.
Kia Ma: a boat mechanic in Vietnam, fled the war torn country, took 17 months to get to the US, started assembling clubs for small equipment manufacturer, eventually took up putter design.
Gene Nead: where form and function are transformed into art.
Dave Billings: Machine putters. Beautiful, functional, eclectic, and whimsical.

TP Mills
Karsten Solheim
Tad Moore
Byron Morgan

Those four are my Rushmore. Their innovations and skills are/were beyond all other IMO, heck, Scotty simply took what the others have done and marketed it, he is not an innovator to me. I know that will irriate Scotty fans, but, its how I feel.

I agree though the future in putters is BRIGHT right now.

Back