Senior Thread for age 50 and over Golfers

Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
Ok guys/gals here is an opportunity for us Senior golfers to discuss our equipment, golf tips, and general topics for the above 50 generation of golfers. How do you deal with health problems, keep yourself in golfing shape, retirement golf communities, and other senior type interests. What type golf balls are suited for the senior market? This is your place to air it out!

I guess I'll have to get back to you in March.

Kevin

Dang Gray, I keep tearing up my AARP packets just so I don't have to admit it, lol. Great idea for a thread buddy. I'll start by saying I just joined a senior men's league that plays weekly. Won't last much longer up here, but it really has been a blast. These ol boys can flat hit the ball.

It's difficult getting older. I'm 56 (retired) have never been very long, so it's really starting to show...I need to lose a lot of weight and get into some type of shape, and all this is harder as you get old...I'm like thedue...I play 3 times a week in a group of older guys. I'm the youngest by 7 years and more than half are over 70...and most can flat out kill it...I use senior shafts in my fairway woods and soft/reg graphite in my irons....I started a yoga class to help my flexibility, walking for endurance, lifting weights for strength and watch my diet...I'm trying to fight it as long as long as possible....The years go by a lot faster as you get older and I want to get better...Also starting golf lessons next week (it only took 36 years of playing to figure out a few lessons might help)....

I'm battling a rib injury right now, but hope to be back to swinging real soon!

I walk the golf course. I use a push cart for 18 and carry when I play nine. I've been playing golf for five years and am still trying to find some consistency in my swing. :beat-up:

I was properly fitted for a set of clubs recently (took me long enough), and look forward to taking them for a spin. I have broken 80 a handful of times, but am highly erratic and can easily shoot a 95.

I love the game, and believe anyone who plays it has to be a little bit insane. I love the feel of the grass under my feet, the warmth of the sun shining on my face, the early morning mist rising off the pond, and the rays of the sun peaking through the trees.

For me golf isn't about scoring. It's hitting that pure shot and watching it soar through the air to its intended target...an undescribably sublime feeling; executing that perfect pitch/chip shot; or hitting that putt on the sweet spot and watching it tracking, tracking, tracking into the hole. :alien2:

Man I don't feel any different now than I did at 53 so I don't know what the fuss is about
problely more in shape now then when I was 34

Whattttttttttttt ? I thought 50 was the new 40 , and now your calling us seniors ?????
I still walk the course , and my wife just bought me an early Christmas present , a ClickGear 3.0 push cart , man is it ever nice not having a sore right shoulder from carrying !
Just bought new softer graphite shafted Adams Hybrid set due to carpel and tennis elbow in the right hand and arm , put the ego in the closet , I dont need to be hitting stiff shafts no more :D
I guess all us seniors going to the THP outing in May need to get the younguns to cater to US ..... HA HA HA

At 51 I feel pretty solid myself, almost like I did at 41, I just no longer trust farts, lmao. I battled all my illnesses when I was younger, other than a few blood clots last winter, but good to go now. Bring it on baby!

LMAO! I guess that's why they call us "old farts" haha. Duey you are too much! I definitely feel the age in my joints and with my flexibility. My body fights the follow through of my swing pretty bad. I've been working on some stretch exercises hoping that will loosen me up a bit. I even got an exercise ball the other day but have only used it once because I messed up my shoulder and was taking a few days off from golf and exercise. I've been obsessive about practice and playing but my body finally said HALT.

At 51 I feel pretty solid myself, almost like I did at 41, I just no longer trust farts, lmao. I battled all my illnesses when I was younger, other than a few blood clots last winter, but good to go now. Bring it on baby!

LMAO! I guess that's why they call us "old farts" haha. Duey you are too much! I definitely feel the age in my joints and with my flexibility. My body fights the follow through of my swing pretty bad. I've been working on some stretch exercises hoping that will loosen me up a bit. I even got an exercise ball the other day but have only used it once because I messed up my shoulder and was taking a few days off from golf and exercise. I've been obsessive about practice and playing but my body finally said HALT.

Whoops, forgot you might visit here KB, lol.

DooDue - Now that is some funny stuff you ol fart :turtle:

DooDue - Now that is some funny stuff you ol fart :turtle:

Lol, hey us old farts can tell it like it is. This will be a great thread buddy, we can talk about all kinds of stuff ... like hemorrhoids and such, hehe. Just kidding, it will be a good thread. I'd like to hear a bit more about stretching for one thing.

Hey Lindy, does that yoga stuff really work? I'm sick of starting and ending sore.

Lol, hey us old farts can tell it like it is. This will be a great thread buddy, we can talk about all kinds of stuff ... like hemorrhoids and such, hehe. Just kidding, it will be a good thread. I'd like to hear a bit more about stretching for one thing.

Hey Lindy, does that yoga stuff really work? I'm sick of starting and ending sore.

Due -- I think I still have a golf stretching guide which is great for us middle age honkers. Send me a pm with your email address and I will see if I can find it.

Due -- I think I still have a golf stretching guide which is great for us middle age honkers. Send me a pm with your email address and I will see if I can find it.

Will do. Thanks Gray!

Oh my God, you people are old. Young guys like me can only chuckle. Hold on a second, I have to take the ice off my elbow, and put on the heating pad. One reduces inflammation, the next promotes blood flow. All of us young guys are doing it.

Kevin

Oh my God, you people are old. Young guys like me can only chuckle. Hold on a second, I have to take the ice off my elbow, and put on the heating pad. One reduces inflammation, the next promotes blood flow. All of us young guys are doing it.

Kevin

This made me lol!

Kevin

Haha, yeah us young guys. I've worked my abs so hard I can no longer see my belt.

Ahhhhh, heating pad.

Kevin

Hey Due....I just started the yoga about 2 weeks ago...and it's actually a beginner's class...re: the instructor it could be called a stretch class....I've only gone a few times but I do feel a little better...I try to go to a class a few hours after I play..It takes away a lot of the stiffness/soreness...I'd recommend it....

I just started...and it's actually a beginner's class...re: the instructor it could be called a stretch class....I've only gone a few times but I do feel a little better...I try to go to a class a few hours after I play..It takes away a lot of the stiffness/soreness...I'd recommend it....

Thanks, keep us up on the results.

Don't forget your Geritol in a.m. and odorless Bengay for those extra tough days :O)

Ole Gray, I sent you an e-mail reference this...Thanks

I just started...and it's actually a beginner's class...re: the instructor it could be called a stretch class....I've only gone a few times but I do feel a little better...I try to go to a class a few hours after I play..It takes away a lot of the stiffness/soreness...I'd recommend it....

Stretching is excellant for us seniors. Is the class you taking similar to Yoga or simply basic stretching exercises? Man I wish they had a class like that near my home....

Back