TaylorMade Forged irons: Coming next year?

that would be sweet! a little TM vs. Cally shootout! i actually think that would be one hell of a review.
Does THP have a suggestions box? Please label this one TC's suggestion for P4B's review! :D

that would be sweet! a little TM vs. Cally shootout! i actually think that would be one hell of a review.

Doesn't that do a whole lot of other manufacturers a disservice that make high quality forged irons all coming out at the same time?

Doesn't that do a whole lot of other manufacturers a disservice that make high quality forged irons all coming out at the same time?

Very good point....Just a forged iron review would work

sure it does, but THP is here to cut through all the marketing hype, and TM and callaway are the biggest marketers out there. i'd say well over 50% of their marketing is aimed at each other, so why not just have a battle royal between the two of them?

sure it does, but THP is here to cut through all the marketing hype, and TM and callaway are the biggest marketers out there. i'd say well over 50% of their marketing is aimed at each other, so why not just have a battle royal between the two of them?

So wouldnt cutting through the marketing be involving all companies, not the two biggest marketers?

So wouldnt cutting through the marketing be involving all companies, not the two biggest marketers?

i suppose it all depends on what level of marketing you want to cut through. you'd be a fool if you didn't realize that the past 2-3 years in the golf equipment realm has been all about callaway vs. taylormade (most wins on tour, most used driver, #1 irons in golf). so for ME, it would be interesting to pit the two up against each other.

sure, throw some fg tours in there, and some VR's, and some scratch irons, and some s2 forged irons, but in the grand scheme of things, i don't consider any of those BIG players. i'm not saying their products aren't worthy, but they certainly don't go at each other like cally/tm does.

i just thought it would be something fresh, something different.

i suppose it all depends on what level of marketing you want to cut through. you'd be a fool if you didn't realize that the past 2-3 years in the golf equipment realm has been all about callaway vs. taylormade (most wins on tour, most used driver, #1 irons in golf). so for ME, it would be interesting to pit the two up against each other.

sure, throw some fg tours in there, and some VR's, and some scratch irons, and some s2 forged irons, but in the grand scheme of things, i don't consider any of those BIG players. i'm not saying their products aren't worthy, but they certainly don't go at each other like cally/tm does.

i just thought it would be something fresh, something different.

I dont knock that TC. But if you just throw those 2 in there, you are doing exactly what the marketing does and that is walk right past everybody else. The idea behind THP is to give a level playing field to any company that CHOOSES to be in that field. And frankly you cannot call those two the biggest marketers, when the largest is not in the field you are suggesting in Titleist.

I dont know, if I am looking at an article to rip through marketing I would want every company that wants to be involved, involved, not just the two that are the biggest at commercials. That is what my issues are with MLB. Why let money decide who is the best, when you can have a level playing field? Im all for capitalism, but at the same time, kicking a company out of something because they dont spend marketing dollars like those do, just does not seem right.

I mean it would be like doing our driver shoot out with only Taylormade since they have the most wins on tour and are the most purchased in the stores.

i have no issue with your statement whatsoever, but i wouldn't mind seeing some battle royal's between certain clubs. that's just what i would like to see. sure, have your "who's the best forged iron out there" testing, shootout, article, whatever, but i wouldn't mind seeing your testers doing more indepth, one on one type of stuff. but hey, that's just me.

i have no issue with your statement whatsoever, but i wouldn't mind seeing some battle royal's between certain clubs. that's just what i would like to see. sure, have your "who's the best forged iron out there" testing, shootout, article, whatever, but i wouldn't mind seeing your testers doing more indepth, one on one type of stuff. but hey, that's just me.

Point taken, and we will keep that in mind.

I see both sides to this debate. I totally agree with JB in that you can't have a select few for a review if there are other options out there (popular or not) but I see TC's POV with taking the 'most popular ones (debatable in itself) and seeing who is better. Almost like back in the 80's and 90's when car mags did Ferrari vs Lamborghini tests....yes there are other super cars out there but those 2 names are always at the forefront. Either way, if the forged market is going to take off like some of us and the OEM's think it may, co's would be foolish to not want to subject their offerings for testing and review on THP.

I completely see the point, yes you could do a forged shootout. But who wins between the two(TM and Cally) essentially you arent taking anything away from other companies, just comparing the two. Great idea, and whhen spelled out, I agree

well, all shootouts aside, i for one am pretty excited about these offerings. the screw in the cavity is a bit odd for a forged iron but i'm not hung up on aesthetics at all.

they all look great and i can't wait to find out more about these (i'd love to know what the specs are and what the stock shaft offering is, any idea on that JB?)

well, all shootouts aside, i for one am pretty excited about these offerings. the screw in the cavity is a bit odd for a forged iron but i'm not hung up on aesthetics at all.

they all look great and i can't wait to find out more about these (i'd love to know what the specs are and what the stock shaft offering is, any idea on that JB?)

I think that the gunmetal KBS Tour shafts would be amazing! Please let that be the case!

I think that the gunmetal KBS Tour shafts would be amazing! Please let that be the case!

yeah, the black nickel's would be sweet but i'm sure it'll come stock with the KBS tours (in stainless). either way, it would be a sweet offering.

I agree, screw on the back STRANGE! But I could care less, I dont see it when swinging....I cant wait to swing these puppies one day. giddy like a school girl

I've decided that I don't really mind the screw. After using the XFT wedges, I've come to accept the slightly more industrial look. I keep telling myself I'm not good enough to try these, but I think I will have to swing the CB's.

I've decided that I don't really mind the screw. After using the XFT wedges, I've come to accept the slightly more industrial look. I keep telling myself I'm not good enough to try these, but I think I will have to swing the CB's.

I dont see why you would be good enough for the CB's. Get some confidence man...hehe

+1 you won't see the screw at address or when hitting the ball so who cares?

Get some self confidence you JACK WAGON!!! :D

Don't sell yourself short bro, you are going to find that you're able to hit these just fine. For years I played an iron that I was no where near good enough for but I actually felt that it helped me improve. I have this Ben Hogan blade 6 iron demo that was free from a warehouse sale that I take to the range once in a while, it helps me work things out for sure.

The bottom line with forged clubs is feel. They need to feel great and perform well. If these clubs accomplish this then they should be a solid set.

I think that I have some preconceived thoughts on forged irons that just aren't correct. My thought has always been forged = no forgiveness, but I'm thinking that that may be incorrect. Would the CB's be similar to other GI irons?

as well as workability
The bottom line with forged clubs is feel. They need to feel great and perform well. If these clubs accomplish this then they should be a solid set.

as well as workability
Workability doesn't just magically come once you get a forged iron in your hands though. I have played nothing but forged irons since High School, improved to a sub 5 handicap for a period of time and still couldn't work them worth a damn. So it's the feel more than anything, sure workability might be easier with a forged club, but certainly not automatic.

Back