TaylorMade Forged irons: Coming next year?

TaylorMade does have a bit of a presence with irons on the PGA Tour already don't they? I thought that was the whole TaylorMade TP brand...if they can get some of their pros currently playing their irons to switch to a forged offering they can immediately get marketing that way. Hard to tell really though.

TaylorMade does have a bit of a presence with irons on the PGA Tour already don't they? I thought that was the whole TaylorMade TP brand...if they can get some of their pros currently playing their irons to switch to a forged offering they can immediately get marketing that way. Hard to tell really though.

Of course they do. But not like their drivers. The TP brand was a genius launch. "Play what the Pros play (well sort of)"

I wonder if the American market will go the direction of the Japan market.

JB and I had a good little discussion about cast vs. forged at the outing. I became a huge forged fan after I got my DF's. I would love to know the metal specs of various cast vs. various forged clubs. We hear about 303 stainless, GSS, Carbon steel, etc in the putting world all the time, but all we hear about in the irons world is cast or forged.

The Titleist forged irons are - Forged 1025 carbon steel (per their website)
The Nike Split Cavity are forged 1025 carbon steel (per their website)
The Callaway forged irons are 1020 carbon steel (per their website)

Is that what you meant Seth0 ?

The Titleist forged irons are - Forged 1025 carbon steel (per their website)
The Nike Split Cavity are forged 1025 carbon steel (per their website)
The Callaway forged irons are 1020 carbon steel (per their website)

Is that what you meant Seth0 ?

Yeah that is half of it, but what metal is used to make the cast clubs?

What is the forging process? Are they poured and then pounded?

I also said that I love forged clubs, but there are a lot of cast clubs out there that I like as well. I have always enjoyed the R9 TP clubs and I also liked the way that the X24 irons hit the ball.

I have always said this, I will take what works best for me no matter what it looks like, is made of, who makes it.

I have always said this, I will take what works best for me no matter what it looks like, is made of, who makes it.
BINGO! That's what it's all about, and in my opinion now more than ever everyone of us has so many great options available!

You know I was really expecting to be a little more reluctant to fall for the 2.0s like I did coming from a forged iron (Mizuno) but for me it wasn't really that much different. Sure the forged Mizunos I was playing had a great feel to them and the feedback etc was 2nd to none, they feel amazing when struck solidly and on and on. The 2.0s feel every bit as good to me, feedback isn't there as much but....now I know you're thinking "wrong thread dude" but hang on a sec. The point I'm trying to make is that just because an iron is forged doesn't mean it'll be better. I am sure any TM offering (forged or not) will be a good stick, but people are really gushing about the forged part of it and I'm afraid you guys might be setting yourself up for a little bit of a let down when they're not a million times better than what you have now (assuming you're playing something relatively up to date).

Very good point buddy, I like what you had to say here. I have never gamed a forged iron, but I will say after hitting a forged iron quite a bit, I did fall in love with the feel. But, I also think that each club is going to offer different feel for whatever reason. And it is up to us to determine how each club feels differently based on that alone, not just because it is GI or forged or a blade. I cant wait to see what these really look like.

With the 3 sets coming out, what are you looking forward to trying out?

I am looking forward to trying the Players Cavity and the Full Cavity. I am pretty sure that I would choose the full cavity to game. Forgiveness FTW!

So. If these pictures floating around are in fact the new forged irons what a big let down. I think Taylor Made dropped the ball in a huge way. After seeing they have a beautiful iron like this in Japan.

365331109_o.jpg

This just tells me theyre still not serious about selling forged irons in the US.

I hadn't seen these posted yet but this catalog just showed up at my work.
c6e90859.jpg

With the 3 sets coming out, what are you looking forward to trying out?

I just saw where you had asked this....Thats a tough question and I guess to answer that I would like to know which ones are for sure coming out.

But, I will say, any forged TM club would be awesome.

I'm hoping KU's pic is closer to reality than OEM's.....

I just saw where you had asked this....Thats a tough question and I guess to answer that I would like to know which ones are for sure coming out.

That top iron you quoted is a Japan issue iron. It is not available here. The bottom three are the irons coming out.

I have added that picture to the 1st pot.

I'm hoping KU's pic is closer to reality than OEM's.....
Me too. TaylorMade is a machine man, they just had the whole golf industry buzzing about the Burner 2.0, the second that starts to fizzle out they drop these. Their competition has to be thinking they're really going to have to step up to keep up for sure.

I would try the CB or MC. I know the blade is a little too advanced for me.

They certainly are making a strong push to be #1 in all areas that's for sure.
Me too. TaylorMade is a machine man, they just had the whole golf industry buzzing about the Burner 2.0, the second that starts to fizzle out they drop these. Their competition has to be thinking they're really going to have to step up to keep up for sure.

I really like the look of the CB. Gotta love a forged irons with forgiveness.

they are stepping it up too: haven't you seen the RAZR's, RAWR!!!!!

I agree about the blade being a little too tough on me as well ddec, I just keep going back to hitting the Nike blades at the outing, I was useless with anything more than a 7 iron. The MC would be the first club I'd go for of the 3 myself.

I agree about the blade being a little too tough on me as well ddec, I just keep going back to hitting the Nike blades at the outing, I was useless with anything more than a 7 iron. The MC would be the first club I'd go for of the 3 myself.

same here with the Nike blades at the outing, they felt great when you hit them good, however when it got to the lower irons I hit 1 out of 4 good

they are stepping it up too: haven't you seen the RAZR's, RAWR!!!!!
Yep, I don't love em, that's for sure. They're ok I guess but eh...just ok. Of course purely based on looks alone so hopefully in May I'll have a chance to hit them both side by side.

Yep, I don't love em, that's for sure. They're ok I guess but eh...just ok. Of course purely based on looks alone so hopefully in May I'll have a chance to hit them both side by side.

that would be sweet! a little TM vs. Cally shootout! i actually think that would be one hell of a review.

I really liked the Nike Blades too, but then again, I hit no higher than a 7 iron.

I am leaning towards the MC as well. The CB, just seems like its going to be like a regular CB and I want to see TM's forged technology. Yeah, I agree with the group, no blades for me, I hit the Nikes at the outting as well and I hit the 9 and 8 well, but keep the 3,4,5,6, out of my hands, haha

i don't mind the cb's, I liked Seth's Diablo forged, the CBs seem like they would be equivalent to those, just going off looks

Back