Knee scope to clean out loose cartlilage etc.

I have had that surgery 5 times and your knee is locking up because the loose cartilidge is floating around in there and it gets in just the right place that sometimes will lock it up and pop,atleast thats why mine did.I would say you will be fine after the surgery because if it was a torn ligament or even a partially torn or really stretched ligament you would definantly know it.I tore all 3 of mine playing basketball in high school and it is very painful.I have had 5 surgeries all together and going to have to have knee replacement someday,my DR. has been trying to get me to get it done for the past year but i keep saying not yet doc.But dont worry to much about it i think you will be fine,just make sure you tell your DR.to clean out all of the loose cartilidge,cause if not you will be stuck with a knee that is bone on bone like mine is,and the rest of your life will be filled with arthiritus,pain,more surgeries,and eventually a knee replacement.But good luck to you i hope all goes well.

Hope it goes good! You will be back in no time!

Thanks Bridges, Spank, Hawk, WR, & Ripper for the encouragement. I am ready to get this knee cleaned out and ready for a 10,000 mile warrenty!

Thanks Smooth on your experience with knee problems -- I had a partial knee replacement of the left side of the same knee five years ago. The right side I am hoping as you mentioned just has some loose cartilage floating around. I will have the Doc vacumn that sucker out, ice it down, and wear a knee sleeve for a few days and be back in business. I am like you in the fact that this knee will eventually have to be totally replaced. The good news is they have a new knee replacement that lasts for 30 years. That would work for me until I am 90 years old. Keep me posted on how your knee holds out and we will swap notes.

ol gray

Good luck to you buddy, please stay possitive. Right or wrong, you have little controll over how it goes so go with the flow and let that doc do what he needs. Ask KB to buy you a big family size box of ice cream so you can lay in the recliner a few days after and get fat, lol. Good luck man!

Good luck big guy!!!! You're be aok and back in the swing of things sooner than later :)

Good luck to you buddy, please stay possitive. Right or wrong, you have little controll over how it goes so go with the flow and let that doc do what he needs. Ask KB to buy you a big family size box of ice cream so you can lay in the recliner a few days after and get fat, lol. Good luck man!

Good luck big guy!!!! You're be aok and back in the swing of things sooner than later :)
DooDue -- I like the idea of a bucket size carton of Bryars Peach ice cream! hmmmmm good stuff there dude :hungry:... Heck KellyBo and I met at the local Dairy Queen. Yep we kind of like the cold stuff :eek:).....

Thanks Yoccos. Man it was a super pleasure to meet you and the wife at wpb! Looking forward to seeing you folks at the next outing. All the new friends we met were just like family and are now family to us.

good luck with your surgery and hope it all goes well. take it easy and let it recover fully before you work it to much.

Thanks Bridges, Spank, Hawk, WR, & Ripper for the encouragement. I am ready to get this knee cleaned out and ready for a 10,000 mile warrenty!

Thanks Smooth on your experience with knee problems -- I had a partial knee replacement of the left side of the same knee five years ago. The right side I am hoping as you mentioned just has some loose cartilage floating around. I will have the Doc vacumn that sucker out, ice it down, and wear a knee sleeve for a few days and be back in business. I am like you in the fact that this knee will eventually have to be totally replaced. The good news is they have a new knee replacement that lasts for 30 years. That would work for me until I am 90 years old. Keep me posted on how your knee holds out and we will swap notes.

ol gray

Yeah my doc told me the longest it would last me is 25-30 years,that would mean if i got it now i would be getting another one when i get about 62.I just hate the thot of it not even lasting me long enough to atleast retire before i would have to throw another one in there.That and me not really trusting dr.'s and the fact that i can live with the pain for now,is what keeps me saying no to the replacement.See i dont trust dr.'s very much cause when i tore all 3 ligaments and cartilidge in high school the dr. fixed the ligaments fine i have never had any more trouble out of them.But he forgot to clean out the torn cartilidge,i mean he completely forgot.And after the surgery i immediately started rehabbing my knee so i would be ready to play when basketball season started.And while i was rehabbing my knee hurt so bad i could barely do the simplest tasks and i thought maybe it was supposed to hurt really bad before it got better,so i kept pushing and pushing myself to my pain threshold limit everyday.But it wasnt getting better i was making it way worse and i didnt even know it but,the harder i pushed the worse it got.My knee was a funky color of black and purple it was so bad i had to hide it from my coach cause i knew by that time something was bad wrong and coach would make me go to the dr.But it finally got unbearable so i went to my dr.and he gave it a MRI and found out that the dr. that did my surgery had forgot to clean out the cartilidge and all of that rehabbing had grinded the rest of my cartilidge away.So my knee has been bone on bone since,and when i found out what that dr. had done i called his office and his secretary said he was out playing golf,i could not walk and was looking another surgery in the face and the person who caused it was out playing golf lol i was pissed.But anyway that is why i dont trust dr.'s and one of the reasons i dont want to have replacement surgery,i mean what if they forget what they are doing and cut open the wrong knee,or put a right replacement knee in my left leg.It just freaks me out when i think about it,i mean he forgot.

.But anyway that is why i dont trust dr.'s and one of the reasons i dont want to have replacement surgery,i mean what if they forget what they are doing and cut open the wrong knee,or put a right replacement knee in my left leg.It just freaks me out when i think about it,i mean he forgot.

SD -- I do know they ask you prior to surgery which knee is the one and they put a large circle around the bad knee. That's what the did on my partial knee replacement. My knee was in soooo much pain that I could not sleep at night. The pain I now live through is like a dull tooth ache. I am almost use to it although it certainly has an annoying pain and when I over use it boy does it flare up! If the scope does not stop the pain then I am going ahead with the total knee replacement. Here is the sight for the new joint that I will be adding to the bionic man :eek:).... I use to carry a card in my billfold in case my knee set the alarm off at security check.

http://rediscoveryourgo.com/#

Good luck with the knee and we will keep in touch with the new techology etc.

Thanks,
ol gray

Ol' Gray is high (glazed look to say the least), happy and home. His knee surgery went very well. He had a unusually high amount of scar tissue, polyps (Gray called them fish eggs when he saw the pics), and even a divot in there. We joked about how he must have swung his club inside his knee because there was a chunk taken out. His knee cap had also shifted out of place. They did a lot of cleaning and put some stitches in to move the knee cap back. The surgeon was very optimistic that he will feel much better but he may need a full knee replacement in 5 years. Dr. said he didn't expect it to look as bad as it did. He can't play golf before his appt on Oct 13. I don't think that has hit him yet.

Im glad to hear he is out and everything (surgery went smooth). Definitely praying for you guys. Can he at least putt???????? :)
Ol' Gray is high (glazed look to say the least), happy and home. His knee surgery went very well. He had a unusually high amount of scar tissue, polyps (Gray called them fish eggs when he saw the pics), and even a divot in there. We joked about how he must have swung his club inside his knee because there was a chunk taken out. His knee cap had also shifted out of place. They did a lot of cleaning and put some stitches in to move the knee cap back. The surgeon was very optimistic that he will feel much better but he may need a full knee replacement in 5 years. Dr. said he didn't expect it to look as bad as it did. He can't play golf before his appt on Oct 13. I don't think that has hit him yet.

Glad to hear everything went fine. Send my regards to Ol' Gray!

Your should know by now that glazed look is normal for Bill. :D Seriously, glad to hear he is fine and the doctor cleaned up his knee and he should be fine. Keep his butt off the course which of course means you should also take a well needed break too Kelly. It will be tough but worth it in the end. Best wishes to both of you.

Your should know by now that glazed look is normal for Bill. :D Seriously, glad to hear he is fine and the doctor cleaned up his knee and he should be fine. Keep his butt off the course which of course means you should also take a well needed break too Kelly. It will be tough but worth it in the end. Best wishes to both of you.

Yeah, I've seen that look quite a few times. Gray will be on the course in a few days riding me around. He's already talking about it. Maybe he will be satisifed with that and putting for a while. I'll have to keep a close eye on him for sure.

Glad to hear everything is ok. Hopefully he follows everything to plan. He's gonna get the itch and it'll be hard not to scratch it. It's all for the best and we all know that 99% of the time that the doctor knows best. All our well wishes from here in Orlando.

glad to hear Gray is ok. October 13th will be here sooner than you think.

Glad the surgery went ok! Im sure you will have a nice knee brace to show off now lol

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery, Gray :)

glad the surgery went well Gray! get better quick big guy!

I am happy to hear things went well. Grey take it easy and you will be playing before you know it. I really enjoyed the round with you and look forward to another in the near future.

I am happy to hear things went well. Grey take it easy and you will be playing before you know it. I really enjoyed the round with you and look forward to another in the near future.

Thanks so much for all of your well wishes! I knew something was wrong with that sucker but just thought it was loose cartilage. The doc found a bit more damage and he said I should be feeling much better in a couple of weeks :thumb:

Andy you are my all time favorite Teaching Pro dude! Why, because you unselfishly help so many people on here to enjoy their golf more. Answering all those questions is a task and you give fellow THP'ers your best... I would love to play golf with you any time.... It's funny how THP'ers can bond so quickly. I feel especially priviledged to receive a get well wish from my THP Golfing Instructor.

ol gray

Last edited:
I am glad to hear you are doing well there Gray! rehab it as told to by your Dr., listen to Kb, and you will be back out there in no time swinging for the fences.

SD -- I do know they ask you prior to surgery which knee is the one and they put a large circle around the bad knee. That's what the did on my partial knee replacement. My knee was in soooo much pain that I could not sleep at night. The pain I now live through is like a dull tooth ache. I am almost use to it although it certainly has an annoying pain and when I over use it boy does it flare up! If the scope does not stop the pain then I am going ahead with the total knee replacement. Here is the sight for the new joint that I will be adding to the bionic man :eek:).... I use to carry a card in my billfold in case my knee set the alarm off at security check.

http://rediscoveryourgo.com/#

Good luck with the knee and we will keep in touch with the new techology etc.

Thanks,
ol gray

im glad it went well for ya gray.....let it heal and take very good care of it for the next few weeks and you will be back and playing pain free.Interesting you described your pain before the surgery to a toothache,when someone asks me i compare mine to a nonstop migraine headache that just stays constant,no sharp pains just dull and constant.I do have alot of trouble sleeping to especially when the temp gets 50* oand lower,there is just no position to put it in that will make it stop.

I am glad to hear you are doing well there Gray! rehab it as told to by your Dr., listen to Kb, and you will be back out there in no time swinging for the fences.

Thanks Royal! Actually the rest will do my whole body good so the first week will be refreshing. Now the second week without playing golf or driving will be the hardest. I want to heal up completely so I can help organize a litte southeastern outing around the first or second week of November.

im glad it went well for ya gray.....let it heal and take very good care of it for the next few weeks and you will be back and playing pain free.Interesting you described your pain before the surgery to a toothache,when someone asks me i compare mine to a nonstop migraine headache that just stays constant,no sharp pains just dull and constant.I do have alot of trouble sleeping to especially when the temp gets 50* oand lower,there is just no position to put it in that will make it stop.

Smooth -- the toothache like pain in my knee was more of a consistant toothache pain. Not the serious lighting bolt throbes that make you want to pull your hair out or look for a bottle of wild turkey. I had no clue my kneecap was detached from it's structure although my knee would make these strange crunching noises too often. It would start getting stiff after either walking too much on it or playing excessive golf. At night I would ice it down and take aleve or prescription anti-imflammatory meds. My knee has been hurting for at least three years after I had major surgery on it five years ago when I was age 55. I guess I wore out the right side of the knee trying to support the left side as it was healing.... I was suppose to have surgery on the right side two years ago, however I put it off because of a golf outing to Jeykell Island, Ga with our golf association. Instead of going ahead and getting it done I grind through it and keep going until last year it starting swelling up more and the pain was more intense.

Now back to your bone on bone. I had an MRI prior to my partial knee surgery five years ago. I had no cartilage left on the left side of my right knee. Like you it hurt so intense that I could not sleep at night. I had the surgery and after suffering through knee rehab all the pain in the left side of that knee left me. Pain free! So research your doctors. I know that now they do knee replacement surgery with a method called robotic surgery in Atlanta Ga. I had my prostate removed after a battle with cancer in that area two years ago via robotic surgery. Much less invasive and the down time is cut in half. You might want to do some research on the web and see if a qualified physician is available in you area. It would be much better and all that migraine like pain will be gone! Good luck to you and I appreciate your well wishes. I know you can relate and I hope your problem will be elimanated soon.

Appreciate ya,
ol gray

Get well soon, Ol' Gray! Take your meds, rest and do what your nurse, er, KellyBo, says!

Get well soon, Ol' Gray! Take your meds, rest and do what your nurse, er, KellyBo, says!

Thanks Chorister! Yea I better listen to KellyBo because she doesn't put up with any slack from her patients :D

Back