Which Modern Driver is the Lightest?

Albatross

Reaction score
Handicap
The other day I was playing with my friend's driver, and noticed immediately it was a lot lighter than the one I regularly play with. I also did a lot better with it, because I could swing a little smoother.

So my question to you guys is which of the more modern (2008+) drivers are light? Mostly head weight is what I'm worried about, but since I typically get the shafts they come with, that's also important.

:) Thanks in advance.

umm.... wait a couple of months and your answer will change. Dramatically.

Last edited:
I assume if it is lighter it might be a little harder to control, as you cant always tell where it is... what have you guys found? Is lighter necessarily better?

I assume if it is lighter it might be a little harder to control, as you cant always tell where it is... what have you guys found? Is lighter necessarily better?

Not for me... I am a train wreck when my clubhead weight is reduced...

I (and MANY others here) have had the opportunity to hit some very very light drivers. Pretty much everyone went into the experience a little worried about how the light shaft/head would play and I think everyone walked away very impressed. While they were not the best driver for me, the one that I hit is one of the two best drivers I have ever swung. When it is readily available I'll be sure to give it another go to confirm what the numbers at the outing showed me.

Maybe we should keep this thread about drivers that he can actually try out or buy right now. Who knows when the drivers that were at the demo day will be available to purchase, and since they can't be talked about anyway, maybe they should just stay that way for this thread.

Just from testing drivers I have to think the TaylorMade Superfast is the lightest. That thing weighs less than my pinky.

Depending on who you ask, that and the Cleveland DST are the 2 that come up the most.

You should not assume that actually. It is all about balance and if the light head works well with the shaft and has good balance, then control is not an issue for most.

Maybe we should keep this thread about drivers that he can actually try out or buy right now. Who knows when the drivers that were at the demo day will be available to purchase, and since they can't be talked about anyway, maybe they should just stay that way for this thread.

I agree and we will ask to stop with the little hints about things that are not release or have an embargo. Thanks.

lighter is not necessarily better, IMHO. I always try to examine the physics behind the issue. Think of it like this. The inertia (mass) of the driver will will come into play. I'm not talking about the newest sales term MOI. Simply the overall mass. Put a feather on the end of a shaft. It is light. Put a cinder-block on the end of a shaft. It is heavy. Neither would give you a very good drive but the cinder block has a better chance. Now, examine the balance between the two. Somewhere inbetween the two is a "weight" that is right for you, your swing, and your game. Somewhere in there the correct ball compression (another subject) will fit in nicely with all the above.
Bottom line, don't just assume "lighter" is better.. Try a bunch of them! Good luck!

You are correct, but you are speaking more about just weight of the head. In theory (and theory only), if you keep the same balance in a golf club and have a lighter overall weight, you will get increased swing speed. The goal with many of these new clubs is to get the proper balance and keep a nice swingweight.

When Tim Gillis from Miyazaki shafts was last on the radio show, he talked about balance in a golf club and how it is finally being done properly now.

I was afraid of swing the Superfast at first. I like a heavier club too but once you get used to it, the club can be money. I just had to trust the fact my swing was there without the feeling of a heavier driver. But to me, the Superfast or as JB mentioned the DST.

I agree and we will ask to stop with the little hints about things that are not release or have an embargo. Thanks.

Sorry guys. I removed the offending part. It was an edit after the fact and I should have just let it go and not added it.

The original intent was just to bring some awareness to the changing dynamic in golf. I would hate for someone to go out tomorrow and drop a lot of $$$ a "super light weight" driver only to be disappointed when other things come out in the near-ish future.

I will agree with Yoccos though... It only takes a handful of swings and you forget that it is so light weight. Balance is key. For what is on the market right now it would be taking a cleveland DST or taylormade superfast and adding a C.Kua Miyazaki shaft.

lighter is not necessarily better, IMHO. I always try to examine the physics behind the issue. Think of it like this. The inertia (mass) of the driver will will come into play. I'm not talking about the newest sales term MOI. Simply the overall mass. Put a feather on the end of a shaft. It is light. Put a cinder-block on the end of a shaft. It is heavy. Neither would give you a very good drive but the cinder block has a better chance. Now, examine the balance between the two. Somewhere inbetween the two is a "weight" that is right for you, your swing, and your game. Somewhere in there the correct ball compression (another subject) will fit in nicely with all the above.
Bottom line, don't just assume "lighter" is better.. Try a bunch of them! Good luck!

Trust me, its the "RIght balance" weight.
I hated it at first ( the superfast), but I get 12 yards more carry on avg now compared to my r9 460.
I will admit I was wildly inaccurate with it the first week. THe lack of all that weigth throws you off at first. At some level you're letting the club swing itself and its more obvious when that weight isn't there. I had to teach myself to slow my swing down, and now I hit it further. Go figure. :banghead:

Trust me, its the "RIght balance" weight.
I hated it at first ( the superfast), but I get 12 yards more carry on avg now compared to my r9 460.
I will admit I was wildly inaccurate with it the first week. THe lack of all that weigth throws you off at first. At some level you're letting the club swing itself and its more obvious when that weight isn't there. I had to teach myself to slow my swing down, and now I hit it further. Go figure. :banghead:

Yeah, I've found the lighter the club the easier it is for me to have an easier, slower, smoother swing which typically results in me hitting it a bit purer and farther.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input, from this thread most people said the Superfast or DST, but RxGus brought up a good point that I totally overlooked in which eventually next years clubs will be out.

:) Thanks guys, I think I've gathered what I need. I'll probably bargain hunt for used ones or just wait patiently until I can try the successors.

Guys we JUST asked earlier in this thread to HONOR EMBARGO DATES. We have said OVER and OVER again that while some sites love to throw up pictures, THP honors embargo dates and because of that gets to actually get real products and give them away to forum members rather than just pictures.

Please understand that we will ALWAYS honor embargo dates if a company asks us to and we have said over and over again that Cleveland has asked us to. Thank you.

sorry bout that didnt know what i found, was just looking for the lightest club to help Albatros

by the way, isnt thp 3 year anniversary coming up?

I'm not in the know, but right now the new Cleveland DST will be the lightest OEM driver. The latest seems to get drivers into the sub-300 gram range (head/shaft/grip).

Taylormade Superfast (283 grams)
Cleveland DST (Sub 300)
Tour Edge XLD-LS (295 grams)

My R5 is really light but it's not a new driver or anything. So I assume that the R7 and R9 could possibly be pretty light too. Not positive though and too tired to actually look it up right now.

I know its not the lightest but the Burner 09 was pretty light and long as well,just to high a ball flight for me.

Back