Hybrid replacement

Ouimet

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok so it's now official...I just cannot hit a hybrid. I've tried a few now and it's just not me. I keep reading how easy they are to hit but for me it's a thin, low slice or a straight pull/hook. They had enough warnings and after their total refusal to behave they are on the naughty step along with the ill fated FT-i.

I am thinking of trying a Superfast 7 wood to fill the 4 wood/4 iron gap. Or I could pull my old 200 series 5 wood out of the shed and coax her back to the bag with a few sweet nothings whispered into her earhole.

Any other suggestions? I don't think I want to go back to a 3 iron.

I used to think the exact same thing, but then I got my 3dx. Mabybe You should try one of these.

A 7 wood is a good choice to replace the 3 Iron. For that distance I actually think it is a much more reliable club than any Hybrid. The Cleveland XLS 7 wood is money. The Mizuno MX700 7 wood is a great choice as well.

Otherwise look for a big hybrid that will give you the same feel as the wood. The Mizuno MX700 hybrid looks a lot like a small wood. I am sure others have some suggestions of 'larger hybrids'.

A 7 wood is a good choice to replace the 3 Iron. For that distance I actually think it is a much more reliable club than any Hybrid.

That depends on the person and the swing. Some hit hybrids better and some hit woods better. It really all comes down to the type of swing you have.

have u tried the burner hybrids? Kinda like a mini fairway wood.

A couple questions...

1 - Are you swinging more like an iron or more like a wood? (or N/A if you have a similar swing for both lol)
2 - Have you tried the Adams Superblack? It's the perfect mixture of a hybrid and a wood.

John Hoeflich, one of the best club makers in golf history, responded to your question with this:

"John B. Hoeflich: All of the symptoms describe a ball flight produced by playing the hybrids too far forward in your stance. They should be played from the same position as your #5 iron so you hit down on the ball, not up."

John Hoeflich, one of the best club makers in golf history, responded to your question with this:

"John B. Hoeflich: All of the symptoms describe a ball flight produced by playing the hybrids too far forward in your stance. They should be played from the same position as your #5 iron so you hit down on the ball, not up."

well said, and exactly where I was going. The only times I hit a hybrid poorly is when I treat it like a wood.

Ok so it's now official...I just cannot hit a hybrid. I've tried a few now and it's just not me. I keep reading how easy they are to hit but for me it's a thin, low slice or a straight pull/hook. They had enough warnings and after their total refusal to behave they are on the naughty step along with the ill fated FT-i.

I am thinking of trying a Superfast 7 wood to fill the 4 wood/4 iron gap. Or I could pull my old 200 series 5 wood out of the shed and coax her back to the bag with a few sweet nothings whispered into her earhole.

Any other suggestions? I don't think I want to go back to a 3 iron.

If you can wait, we hit a hybrid at the fall outing that was just plain amazing. I cant think of one person that didnt love it. Id wait for it to come out before getting anything else. But if you cant wait I understand, I have the same problem lol. Id check out the Super Hybrid black or the new V3 Adams

I read somewhere in a golf magazine that you should hit your hybrid like you hit your 7 iron. Once I put the ball back in my stance and swung it like my 7 iron, I started hiting very nice high shots. I still prefer my 7 wood to a 4 hybrid but keep the 5 hybrid in my bag too. I agree that you should wait until the new release clubs. There is one from the outing that is just fantastic!

Cheers all....I guess after those efforts I owe it to you to give it one last shot.

I do know you should play it like a mid-iron but the mind does strange things, especially in golf....maybe I think it's in the right spot but subconsciously, seeing a wood shaped thingy I am forced by my evil mind to inch it forward a tad...

Anyway I shall make a determined effort to think of it as a 7 iron and swing away....I shall report back and either thank you or book a cheap flight and do something nasty to your curtains.

I just got a TM Raylor 3H and i absolutely love it. Super easy to hit and the design just cuts through the fairway or rough. I had a cheap one before and couldn't do anything w/it, have had some real good hits w/this one. I've also heard similar with the burner rescue hybrids.

I am a hooker and have not found a hybrid that I can hit. I have a Nickent 3DX Ironwood DC and Taylormade 09 Rescue (both are on the bench) and in the past tried several Ping models. Nothing seems to help.

So... my 7 wood is back in the bag. At least with that, I can control my baby draw.

You should find a good club fitter who is able to bend hybrids.I've found that most hybrids are to upright for many folks. I also went through a phase when i first started experimenting with hybrids and failing.Had them bent flatter and they've been golden since.

Back