2011 THP Outing Questions/Suggestions

they already do

Spoiler
it's called throw as many people into a cab as possible so the cost per person is low

How many bama's fit in one cab?

I definitely like the demo day being held on a separate day. That gives us more time to view all the goodies, take the time to take better notes thus better reviews and then time to rest and relax at the ibar. etc. It's easy to get excited with all the stuff to try out and over extend oneself. It also gives us a chance to be fresh the next morning and at least be more physically up for the Champions course or whatever major venue we take on. I would like another shot at the Champions course one day. There's no doubt we would do better after a good night's rest.

P.S. Next trip I am taking some type of drug to knock my arse out! The excitement factor keeps the mind racing and the sleep minimal. We got folks sleep walking to elevators and such. Guys sitting in guys laps and doing lap dancers. Uncle Daddy, DooDue, & Hawk doing the funcky Monkey etc. No wonder we are all worn out by morning :D!

I thought ole gray was going to make it through a whole sentence without a smilie right there.

Guys I swear, when he talks, real words come out rather than smilies. And he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Looking forward to seeing you again Ole Gray. I think by next outing, one less snake might be in your bag for the outing to tame that Champion course.

I thought ole gray was going to make it through a whole sentence without a smilie right there.

Guys I swear, when he talks, real words come out rather than smilies. And he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Looking forward to seeing you again Ole Gray. I think by next outing, one less snake might be in your bag for the outing to tame that Champion course.

Ol' gray will be kicking the cobra habit. He was hitting some nice shots with a certain driver. And some 2.0's would look fine in his hands.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Yep you can bet on that good buddy! In fact KellyBo and myself both will be sporting a new club or two :eek:).......

I want to ask everybody a question that we asked at the beginning and see how they still feel.

If you have a choice of a different location or PGA National again, which one do you want for the next outing and why?

I also want to thank TC for the idea of doing a Ryder Cup style event separately, and we are thinking about doing it. We are not sure if we will extend this event to 4 days (instead of 3), or if we will do something different as far as doing a separate event at a different date for the Ryder Cup.

My initial thoughts were one THP Event a year from here on out. A full outing with Golf, Demo Day, and fun, similar to what we just did. Extending it to 3 days rather than 2 and doing the demo day separately.

From there when you add the Ryder Cup format in for day 4, some may not be able to stay that long, so my thought is to do a separate weekend later in the year where people could come that want to compete in a Ryder Cup style event that has been "THP'ized". We could do something cheaper to save people money rather than a stay and play for the second event and see about really getting some cool stuff. But of course, it is totally up to you guys.

So after all my typing, here are the questions.

1. Do you want PGA National or another location? And Why?
2. Would you like 1 event a year or 2?
3. If you chose 2, would you like the 2nd event to be a cheaper option that loses demo day and THP Dinner and instead is more of a competition with some fun?

I think everybody gets where I am going with this and we really just want your input. My feeling was switching to a once a year thing, but in reality, I am a little selfish and have made some fantastic friends that I want to see more than once a year. So I am thinking that breaking it up is a better way to go if cost can be kept down.

This also leads to a different thought which could be to find a "home" for our Official large event outing such as PGA National or another venue and then taking the 2nd one to a different place each time.

But as always, the THP Outings are about you guys and gals, so give us your feedback and thoughts.

In a perfect world I would a little of both. In my very first post I talked about the idea of having PGA as a home and rotating the smaller one around.

See above. I would like two.

3. If you chose 2, would you like the 2nd event to be a cheaper option that loses demo day and THP Dinner and instead is more of a competition with some fun?
This is a very nice twist on my original preference- One smaller/cheaper and one big/major. The other nice thing here is that if the demo day was dropped it would open the possibility of going outside of FL which is something that a lot of people seem to want. I have no preference because it is likely that I would need to fly no matter where we go... but it would make a lot of other people happy

Spoiler
We won't be hosting a THP outing outside of Florida! :act-up:

Edit: I think the smaller outing could manage a less-than-spectacular course because the camaraderie and competition will add that "extra" dimension. It also would take a lot less planning. The bulk of it would be picking a place and date- and then once the list is finalized setting teams/match-ups. I vote this as being not stay-and-play making it MUCH easier on THP.

Last edited:
From a selfish standpoint I would love two gatherings, even if one is more low key. That way I could be sure to attend at least one. That said, don't kill yourself with work.

From a selfish standpoint I would love two gatherings, even if one is more low key. That way I could be sure to attend at least one. That said, don't kill yourself with work.

Hawk,
two outings may actually be easier to plan than a one 4 day event from a logistic and resort stand point. And who are you kidding, you are coming to both and you BETTER be at the next one. hehe

JB, here are my answers

1. Do you want PGA National or another location? And Why? I would want it at the place that offered the best value for the money. I am probably the furthest away from Florida outings and becuase of this these outings cost more for me than those who live instate or within driving distance. I do not mind spending the money because the outng was an absolute blast but would want to be certain I am getting good golf, good food and good accomidations.

2. Would you like 1 event a year or 2? I like you would like to see people more than once a year so I vote for 2

3. If you chose 2, would you like the 2nd event to be a cheaper option that loses demo day and THP Dinner and instead is more of a competition with some fun? I vote for the 2nd to be the cheaper option. I do make this next statement to ruffle feathers but I again would like to at leat toss out there that it be considered that the second one be rotated in locations other than Florida. Even though I posted in question #1 I don't mind spending $$ to travel, I also think it is a little unfair to always ask those away from Florida to travel there. I see nothing wrong if there is not to be a demo day and shipping of clubs involved, that people get on a plane and travel to other locations (warmer states fo winter months, others for rest of the year) and people from the different areas can assist in setting the outing up. Again this is just my opinion, but I think the rotating outing idea would allow more member to attend events each year.

well, having been in the position of reaching out to a few resorts and getting some feedback, i must admit, PGA NATIONAL absolutely brought it! imho, i almost feel inclined to have the annual big outing at their resort. they obviously understand what you guys can bring and that's worth a ton. i love the idea of one bigger event and then one smaller, cheaper event that could be competition based, ie, ryder cup style. there's nothing wrong with snagging a room at the best western for a weekend if you ask me.

i like where you are going with this, and i see absolutely nothing wrong with PGA National being the official host for THP!

To emphasize: I LOVE the idea of a second mini-outing. Oh, and I'd go back to PGA National any day.

well, having been in the position of reaching out to a few resorts and getting some feedback, i must admit, PGA NATIONAL absolutely brought it! imho, i almost feel inclined to have the annual big outing at their resort. they obviously understand what you guys can bring and that's worth a ton. i love the idea of one bigger event and then one smaller, cheaper event that could be competition based, ie, ryder cup style. there's nothing wrong with snagging a room at the best western for a weekend if you ask me.

i like where you are going with this, and i see absolutely nothing wrong with PGA National being the official host for THP!

You are right, they certainly did. It is almost comical when you and I are speaking to these other places and they are not even coming CLOSE to the cost and amenities that we got at PGA National. However airfare is a little higher to fly into WPB, so we want to continue to weigh all options and like me, I know you are.

As for the 2nd event, doing a cheaper option for people that want to compete in a cool THP format could be a great idea and a fun way to do things and see our friends again more than once every 12 months. We can do it where people can find cheap lodging and focus almost completely on the golf itself and throw in some cool things.

While we are on the subject, WR, you are right, we COULD do the 2nd outing outside the state of FL. We are not opposed to that depending on the planning since there will be no demo day. I can assure you the 1st one would be local to us because of logistics, but outside of that, we could explore other areas.

A rotating second event could also open up some times in the summer. We have avoided summer so far because florida is sooo hot in the middle of summer. But, if we were to travel to NE, Great Lakes, or Midwest those times become a little more feasible.

It also opens up "north vs south" or "east vs west" which could be a fun twist too. It would be dependent on balancing teams... but just like the ryder cup it could alternate "home" venues.

You are right, they certainly did. It is almost comical when you and I are speaking to these other places and they are not even coming CLOSE to the cost and amenities that we got at PGA National. However airfare is a little higher to fly into WPB, so we want to continue to weigh all options and like me, I know you are.

As for the 2nd event, doing a cheaper option for people that want to compete in a cool THP format could be a great idea and a fun way to do things and see our friends again more than once every 12 months. We can do it where people can find cheap lodging and focus almost completely on the golf itself and throw in some cool things.

While we are on the subject, WR, you are right, we COULD do the 2nd outing outside the state of FL. We are not opposed to that depending on the planning since there will be no demo day. I can assure you the 1st one would be local to us because of logistics, but outside of that, we could explore other areas.

i think that's completely fair, and i must admit, it's a bit exciting to think that i could be playing in a THP ryder cup in california, or arizona, or south dakota, or new york, or ohio, or hell, even canada!

i like the direction in which this is going!!

Bama's comments

Personally, I liked PGA National. I would not mind them hosting every year. finding something just as good and alternating every other year would be an idea as well. Without trying someplace else, we will really never know

I would like 1 event per year and have it be a blowout. two in one year can get a little costly for some and can also water down the big event a bit..imho...see #3

I think for the second outings of the year (around 6 months from the blowout) we have semi formalized regional outings. I realize that you cannot stick a THP label on it, but I think this would still get a lot of THP members attending a regional outing in a probable less formalized atmosphere. Take the SE Georgia outing we had. i think there was like 12 of us in the Spring..We had a blast. More people are talking about coming to the next one. It was less cost, about 6 months between the big one we just had and it has the capability to be moved around a bit...

My 2 cents and flame retardant jacket has been donned....

bama

A rotating second event could also open up some times in the summer. We have avoided summer so far because florida is sooo hot in the middle of summer. But, if we were to travel to NE, Great Lakes, or Midwest those times become a little more feasible.

It also opens up "north vs south" or "east vs west" which could be a fun twist too. It would be dependent on balancing teams... but just like the ryder cup it could alternate "home" venues.

It would most likely still be Spring and Fall due to many factors. We want people to be able to save up some money to make the trip. And we want to pick destinations that have cheap lodging for people during the 2nd event. But I have a great list set of courses that have reached out to us over the last 12 months to host things that we can work with.

i think that's completely fair, and i must admit, it's a bit exciting to think that i could be playing in a THP ryder cup in california, or arizona, or south dakota, or new york, or ohio, or hell, even canada!

i like the direction in which this is going!!

Me too, TC. I really do.

I was a little behind in my posting..
I also am liking the idea of a rotating 2nd outing outside of FL....
Cost might still be a factor for some...

This also leads to a different thought which could be to find a "home" for our Official large event outing such as PGA National or another venue and then taking the 2nd one to a different place each time.

But as always, the THP Outings are about you guys and gals, so give us your feedback and thoughts.

1. I would be OK with either staying at PGA National or going someplace else as long as I'm at THP Outing!! Sounds like from side comments in this thread and other places that PGA National really gave us great deal that is hard to impossilbe to match. So perfectly happy to stay at PGA National (Besides, the Champions course owes me 6 golf balls)
2. I'm selfish too. Want/NEED two a year to hang with my friends and meet new ones
3. I like idea of one big one and one low key one. I'd like to have you and GG have time at one of the events to just hang out with us, play fun golf, and not have to worry about the demo day and other "official" stuff as much

My answers:

PGA National was such an amazing venue. I definitely think that it should at the very least become a regular stop on the THP Outing rotation. Other locations are tempting as they would be different to try out.

I would love to do 2 a year, but being the farthest out, makes for a lot more cost. So by that argument, 1 a year seems the most practical, but on the other hand, I REALLY want to get back to FL!! I'm going to start having to make excuses to get down there more. I'm hooked!!

I like this idea as it would help to keep costs down, but at the end of the day, for me the cost will still be up there due to the cost of flights etc. It was great to meet everyone and seeing them more regularly would be awesome. The demo was great and should definitely still be held at least once a year, but a smaller outing would still be tons of fun.

Back