Fall 2010 Northeast Golf Gathering

Yeah man. Flying up on the 21st gotta be back here in O-town by that Monday hopefully with a little side trip through the mountains.

Giddy up!

The outing sounds good for October, and I vote for when Spank is in town if possible... I must say though, the weather that time of year is most certainly to be a little warmer further south, like say... south Jersey... just sayin...:snicker:

scranton would be about 3.5 hours for me, doable.

Giddy up!

The outing sounds good for October, and I vote for when Spank is in town if possible... I must say though, the weather that time of year is most certainly to be a little warmer further south, like say... south Jersey... just sayin...:snicker:

The further south the better for me because I'll be traveling in that general direction. A little AC after run wouldn't hurt either. :D

scranton would be about 3.5 hours for me, doable.

Is there an elevator that can take you there faster? :D

Scranton is only 6 1/2 hours from ohio.... hummmm. :)

I'm tempted.....nice courses up there

The further south the better for me because I'll be traveling in that general direction. A little AC after run wouldn't hurt either. :D

Is there an elevator that can take you there faster? :D

AC? Now you are speaking my language!

With the golf season quickly ending here, if we are going to do this, we need to move pretty quick. So, I hope no one minds that I've grabbed the bull by the horns to organize this get together (I'm also really wanting to golf with a few of you again and to meet more of you before we have to put the sticks in the closet until sping). Of course, I'm very open to any suggestions you may have.

Based on the response, it looks like Scranton will work for everyone so far. I know it isn't as far south as a few folks would like it but if we go much further south or east, it will probably push the location out of reach of the N. New Englanders and the few folks from Ohio who have expressed interest. If anyone has any other suggestions in the N.E Corner of PA that they think might work (Allentown? Reading?) give a shout out in the next day or two.

Looking at the calendar for the next few weeks it looks like the three weekends that may offer the best opportunity for golf before the snow flies in some parts of the NE and may work nicely for schedules are the following Sat/Sun combos:

Oct 9/10 (Pros: Columbus Day Weekend, so many folks will have Monday off Cons: So close to the THP Fall Outing bank accounts may be too drained, Columbus Day Weekend is big leaf peeping weekend)
Oct 16/17 (Pros: Pretty leaves, typical weekend for a last gasp of warm weather Cons: Leaf peepers may have many hotels booked, a few golf courses use this weekend for winter overseeding)
Oct 23/24 (Pros: Spank will be around! Cons: weather may be a bit dicey in the Deleware Gap area cold and rain, leaves gone)

I'm researching courses within 30 miles of Scranton/ Wilkes-Barre tonight and tomorrow at work (he-he) and will post links to the ones that look good. Feel free to also do your own research and if you find something that looks good, post a link.

Once we have the dates, course(s) and who is attedning figured out, I'll contact the courses to see about tee times and if any specials or deals are available and maybe we can even find a hotel or two who may offer us good deals. I think we should make this pretty no frills (everyone responsible for their own food, etc) just an easy weekend or even a day of golf.

Thoughts?

I like your thoughts, Mary...especially the no-frills idea. Spending $1000+ on the Florida outing wasn't in my budget, but a $250 weekend I can afford.

October 22-23 is out for me. The 23rd is my niece's first birthday and I just can't miss that.

Since most would be coming in Friday evening, maybe look into finding a restaurant with a banquet room we can get for the evening, with everybody paying for their own meals. You said you had business contacts in that area; maybe one can recommend a nice, family-owned restaurant with a banquet room (I don't care for chain restaurants and they're more likely to serve reasonably-priced alcohol for those who wish to drink).

That's all I can think of right now...

This is too far away for me, but the first one of these that never happened, never did because I think no one could get the dates in synch with everyone. I would pick a date and go with it. Especially with it being on such short notice. People are either going to have plans already or not.

Here are the golf courses in the Scranton area that I've found so far that look like they would fit the bill for us to play and that are open until Nov.:

Four Seasons: http://www.fourseasonsgolfclubnepa.com/
Sleepy Hollow: http://www.sleepyhollowgolf.com/course.htm
Sky Line Golf: http://www.skylinegolfcourse.com/
Stone Meadows: http://www.stonemeadowsgolf.com/
Panorama: http://www.panoramagc.com/index.php?page_name=about
Sand Springs: http://www.sandspringsgolf.com/
Mountain Laurel: http://www.mountainlaurelgolfclub.com/index.php
Edgewood Pines: http://www.edgewoodpinesgc.com/

Let me know what you all think.

I've played Edgewood Pines and Four Seasons, pretty nice layouts for being all the way up in NE PA. I've heard nice things about Mountain Laurel too

I've played Edgewood Pines and Four Seasons, pretty nice layouts for being all the way up in NE PA. I've heard nice things about Mountain Laurel too

The flyovers at Edgewood made me want to jump in the car right now with my sticks and book a tee time for 4pm. Of course, it is so nice right now a fly over of a putt-putt course would make me want to get into my car with my sticks

The flyovers at Edgewood made me want to jump in the car right now with my sticks and book a tee time for 4pm. Of course, it is so nice right now a fly over of a putt-putt course would make me want to get into my car with my sticks

I'm good for mini golf right now...

A couple other thoughts that have popped into my head in the last hour or so I've been awake:

- A second banquet room for Saturday evening after the round of golf maybe?

- If JB and GolferGal have any leftover stuff from the Florida outing, maybe they'd be willing to donate it for prizes/giveaways? Maybe even loan the 'THP Prize Wheel' out to a reliable person?

A couple other thoughts that have popped into my head in the last hour or so I've been awake:

- A second banquet room for Saturday evening after the round of golf maybe?

- If JB and GolferGal have any leftover stuff from the Florida outing, maybe they'd be willing to donate it for prizes/giveaways? Maybe even loan the 'THP Prize Wheel' out to a reliable person?

Unfortunately we do not have anything left over from the FL outing and will not be able to participate. We are planning another outing that we will be announcing soon and hopefully will be filled with another demo day and tons more prizes. In the meantime, we love that everybody wants to get together for rounds and have some fun.

To have equipment for a demo day from US, one of us would have to be in attendance, and unfortunately that is just not in the cards right now with another magazine coming out, and another outing to plan so we can make that announcement very soon.

Unfortunately we do not have anything left over from the FL outing and will not be able to participate. We are planning another outing that we will be announcing soon and hopefully will be filled with another demo day and tons more prizes. In the meantime, we love that everybody wants to get together for rounds and have some fun.

To have equipment for a demo day from US, one of us would have to be in attendance, and unfortunately that is just not in the cards right now with another magazine coming out, and another outing to plan so we can make that announcement very soon.

Thanks for chiming in here JB! It goes with the "no frills" and "not official THP" outing concept of just a group of fellow THPers getting together on a day or weekend to play some golf on a nice fall weekend.

Thanks for chiming in here JB! It goes with the "no frills" and "not official THP" outing concept of just a group of fellow THPers getting together on a day or weekend to play some golf on a nice fall weekend.

And we love it. We hope you guys have a blast!!!

Fair enough. I apologize if I was trying to take this outing idea to a place it wasn't intended to go. Ideas pop in my head, I put them down. For that reason,my boss has a love/hate relationship with the emails I send him. Sometimes they're great ideas, other times they're just rambling nonsense rants.

Fair enough. I apologize if I was trying to take this outing idea to a place it wasn't intended to go. Ideas pop in my head, I put them down. For that reason,my boss has a love/hate relationship with the emails I send him. Sometimes they're great ideas, other times they're just rambling nonsense rants.

Never a problem. We love creativity and always want to hear people's input.

No problem Ken! Keep the ideas coming because you never know what will appeal to the group at large.

It would be nice if there were life size card board cut outs of you and GG present at the event.

Maybe of her, but I have a face for radio...hehe

But we will of course be at the next THP Outing and you can come meet us then.

I am replying to subscribe to the thread so I can keep an eye on it. I am not sure what weekends I may be available, and whether or not I want to drive all the way to Scranton for a round of golf (from the Boston area), but I will be considering it!

Back