How do I stop a hip slide?

golfingcop

Reaction score
Handicap
In the quest for more power, I have always been known to slide my hips to the target, which leads to powerful push slices and snap hooks that will make my golf ball make a u-turn from here to the moon and back. How do I get rid of this? I can't seem to learn how to turn or coil on my left leg the right way. Thanks.

The feeling you need to get is the left hip fires back to help the left leg post. To get this feeling get into posture and place your backside up against a wall in your house. On the move to the top feel your right cheek against the wall, and on the downswing feel the left cheek fire back to the wall to post and clear the left side. Once you get the feel for this try to take it to the range. Let me know if you need more help with this type of move.

I, for one, will check out that drill. I am a notorius slider.

It's a swing flaw that I carried for over 20 years that likes to come visit me on occasion, like a distant aunt. When it happens, I can see my left knee sliding/tilting towards the target line, my head moves forward of the ball, and I end up coming outside in, with this same weak fades as the end result. Part of my problem is that I fell in love with the inside weighing of my right foot. Rather than unweigh the right foot naturally, I began pushing off hard, like a pitcher pushing off the mound. And it's because I get into this mindset that I need to crush the ball. I can't seem to make the body understand that I can hit the ball further and more accurately by swinging easy and hitting it flush.

So for me, I've been working on my footwork, post my left leg, and getting the feel of turning into the shot instead of pushing towards it. It's very difficult for me, so I'll simply swing easy through a bucket of balls until I feel comfortable with the motion and execution, then I'll add more speed in increments, each time looking for a comfort level.

Andy,
Would this also be a drill for me to use along with the chair/something against my left side drill we talked about?
p.s. Thanks for the putting tips, really helped in the putt contest..LOL. pleasure to meet you & your wife, hope it aint the last!

Not sure if this would help or not but I usually point with my left knee to the target and then drive hard with my hips ala Padrick 's video on the Golf Channel and Tom Lehman's same place. I think that helps purge both the tendency to slide the hips and sort of push off the inside of the back foot. I have had both problems at one time or another (the sliding problem because it took me some time to get the feel for turning the hips not slidding them and the push off problem because I was so concerned about getting my weight outside on the back foot). I think the reason pointing the left knee helps is because your hips are then hinged in a way that makes it just about impossible to slide them. At least in my case I feel like I have no choice but to turn my hips at that point. It also starts the process of moving weight off the back foot. As such I think it would be difficult to push off the inside of the back foot as too much weight has already moved forward by then. However my left knee does not slide nor does it tilt. I usually practice it while I am warming up my shoulder turn. I am sure we are all familiar with the old put the club behind your neck and turn back and forth exercise getting the muscles for your shoulder turn warmed up before you have to actually use them. While most people I see using it seem to use it only to get their shoulders lossened up, I also try to get my hip turn working at the same time. I am at that ugly age where just about every joint I have has to get oiled up before it works at all.

jnug that is the sensation that I am looking for. Make the hips turn through the ball instead of the slide. It sounds to me like you have found a feel to get the hips turning and that is great....keep at it.

Bulldog, for you what we are talking about is getting you to stay behind the ball. You slide a bit and this sensation and drill will help you get more behind the ball. The feeling we were working on at the range is going to be a big step in the right direction for you. As you feel more comfortable with it the hip turn drill mentioned above will be a good next step.

Back