Wilson Staff Demo Day THP Outing Reviews

I wish you would've said hi from Smoothduffer as well,i would've loved to have said hello i could talk to that bag all day long.lol

nah, that bag said to me "smoothduffer says hi", hahaha

i must admit, i'm kinda surprised at the lack of attention that the ci9's seemed to have received. i know that OEM had a crack with them, and JB, anyone else? i love those irons and you right handed fools had a whole set to demo!!!!

I hit them a few times, I've hit them before and like them a lot. I hit the Fybrid HS and FG Tour irons more though. They can be had for cheap too!!! If I was in the market for irons they would be up near the top of my list

I hit them a few times, I've hit them before and like them a lot. I hit the Fybrid HS and FG Tour irons more though. They can be had for cheap too!!! If I was in the market for irons they would be up near the top of my list

the FG tours?

sorry the Ci9's.

I messed around with the FG Tours since THP and WS teamed up for the British Open Contest.

so you liked the ci9's? what did you think of the fst shaft? i love the stepless design, think it looks super clean. it's a good feeling iron, nice compact head, smaller lines, smaller offset, but easy to get the ball up and pretty forgiving.

you know I like the Ci9's. I hit them earlier in the year which is why I didn't spend a lot of time with them at the outing. I think it is a very clean, nice looking iron. The topline is a good size and there doesn't appear to be a lot of offset. When I have tested them, I was easily able to put different swings on this club. Can hit it high or low. The shaft feels great for my swing.

you know I like the Ci9's. I hit them earlier in the year which is why I didn't spend a lot of time with them at the outing. I think it is a very clean, nice looking iron. The topline is a good size and there doesn't appear to be a lot of offset. When I have tested them, I was easily able to put different swings on this club. Can hit it high or low. The shaft feels great for my swing.

haha, i know dude, just hoping that you and OEM weren't the only ones to swing them.

TC, I hate to let you down, but I didn't hit the Ci9's. I have the 7's and was really looking for a more forgiving line. I hit a bunch of irons on Saturday, but they were not one of them. Sorry, bud.

haha, i know dude, just hoping that you and OEM weren't the only ones to swing them.

I would hope others were swinging these sticks. Call me crazy, but I liked them better than the Burner 2.0's.

TC, I hate to let you down, but I didn't hit the Ci9's. I have the 7's and was really looking for a more forgiving line. I hit a bunch of irons on Saturday, but they were not one of them. Sorry, bud.

no worries hawk, i know you had your sights set on the di11's!!!! and you hit them well too.

I would hope others were swinging these sticks. Call me crazy, but I liked them better than the Burner 2.0's.

i don't think it's crazy ddec. you hit both, you put them head to head, i like that. but they aren't better than the i10's huh?

i don't think it's crazy ddec. you hit both, you put them head to head, i like that. but they aren't better than the i10's huh?

I love my i10's...those aren't going to be replaced for a long time. They are the one piece of equipment that is securely in my bag year after year

I love my i10's...those aren't going to be replaced for a long time. They are the one piece of equipment that is securely in my bag year after year

oh, how boring!

Do you have the DI7's? If so are the DI11's much better? I cant decide if i want the DI11's or the CI9's,i was thinking since i already have a very forgiving set in the DI7's that maybe i should get the CI9's,i just dont know what to get yet.I have hit the CI9's at Edwin Watts earlier this year and to my suprise i hit them really good i honestly didnt notice that much difference between them and my DI7's,except they were a little less forgiving(not that much tho),and they didnt have close to the distance of my 7's mainly because the 7's are ridiculously hi lofted but,im not worried about distance in my irons and they were plenty long enuff.And i was swinging them inside on the launch monitor with a guy standing behind me waiting for his turn so,i didnt get to spend as much time with them as i woul'v liked.I am going to hit both of them before i make my final decision but,i know the half+half shaft is one of the options on the 11's.This shaft really intrigues me very much like alot of you guys i have hit it on the DyFy's but im sure its alot different on the 11's,when i hit the dyfy's they launched way to high for me but they felt amazing.Im not gonna pretend that i know alot about shafts but,i think i want to change from steel to a real stiff graphite.And im afraid that i wont be able to hit the 11's or Ci9's with the graphite cause the only golf store around here that has W/S's new stuff is Edwin Watts and the DyFy's were the only set they had that wasnt steel.I know that i should look at other companies to but,i just dont want to i wanna get W/S i dont know why but when i saw W/S's stuff i knew that was what i wanted thats just the way i am lol.Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Sorry, I have not hit any of the Di series aside from the 11's. I own a set of the Ci7's. I found the 11's to be much more forgiving and easier to hit high and straight. The thing I really liked about the 11's is that they weren't super clunky for a SGI iron. They were really attractive to the eye.

The only way you will know what shaft to buy is to try it out. I woulnd't switch to graphite or the half and half without a demo. I tried a graphite shafted iron (of a different brand) and I hated it. Just not what I am used to.

nah, that bag said to me "smoothduffer says hi", hahaha

i must admit, i'm kinda surprised at the lack of attention that the ci9's seemed to have received. i know that OEM had a crack with them, and JB, anyone else? i love those irons and you right handed fools had a whole set to demo!!!!
They love me,they really love me lol
I am used to nobody paying attention to W/S,until they see my bag.Everytime i go to a new course and they see my bag and all of the W/S stuff in it for the first time they cant believe how sweet it looks and then if they hit any of it they all ask the same thing,"why isnt there more W/S stuff around its really good".......So im used to it,i do like being different tho.....I like playing something different than everyone else and it being just as good as their stuff.

Smooth has officially taken my place as the W/S fanboy :) I still want the staff bag if you need to get rid of it, JB lol.

Seriously though, they do make some nice stuff. I am going to have a hard time deciding between the 11's and another set of irons I tested.

Sorry, I have not hit any of the Di series aside from the 11's. I own a set of the Ci7's. I found the 11's to be much more forgiving and easier to hit high and straight. The thing I really liked about the 11's is that they weren't super clunky for a SGI iron. They were really attractive to the eye.

The only way you will know what shaft to buy is to try it out. I woulnd't switch to graphite or the half and half without a demo. I tried a graphite shafted iron (of a different brand) and I hated it. Just not what I am used to.
Oh ok i thot you meant the DI7's but yea i agree about the shaft i have gotta find somewhere to hit those in graphite before i buy them.My Di7's are in the True Temper steel uniflex and other than hitting a few others in golf stores that is the only shaft i have any experience with as far as irons go.But im definantly gonna try before i buy,somehow.

Di11 Irons
In keeping with the other irons I hit, going to give a numeric rating across a few categories for this club and some summary comments at the end...

Overall looks: 8.5/10
This is a really nice looking club. I guess this is considered SGI but really looks like a GI iron to me. I wouldn't be ashamed to put these bad boys in my bag for sure.

Look at address: 8/10
Looked good at address, not distracting at all. Again, not SGI clunky looking to me at all.

Feel: 8.5/10
Really nice feel to this iron. Good feedback, and a satisfying sensation on a well struck ball. I was pleasantly surprised by these clubs.

Forgiveness: 9/10
I found this club to be very forgiving, much like the JPX-800 Mizuno irons. It certainly has the forgiveness you would look for in a SGI iron, but without all the drawbacks I typically see in that class of iron.

Distance: 7/10
Alas, the shafts were very whippy for me so the shots were going very, very high and distance was lost. I can tell you that these will definitely help you get the ball airborn for sure, and I bet the right shaft will help a lot with the trajectory.

Overall impressions:
If I have a chance to test these with a suitable shaft, I will definitely consider this for my R7 iron replacement project coming up soon. They are that good. I don't think they quite have the distance of the Burner 2.0s or X-24s, but I think they are at least as forgiving and the feel is real nice. I think a mid handicapper should not overlook these because of the "SGI" label. And if I were a high handicapper, I think this is the best option I've hit along side the Mizuno JPX-800s.

What is funny about this is that I had some Wilson Staff RM midsize irons back in around 1998 or 1999 and they were the first irons that I really started to turn the corner with, I loved these babies. After I sold them I kind of started to get the sense that Wilson Staff was going downward and they put out a lot of equipment that I wasn't overly crazy about. This year's irons are great and it makes me think that Wilson Staff is back and better than ever. I really struck the FG Tour Forged irons great!

Di11 Irons
In keeping with the other irons I hit, going to give a numeric rating across a few categories for this club and some summary comments at the end...

This is a really nice looking club. I guess this is considered SGI but really looks like a GI iron to me. I wouldn't be ashamed to put these bad boys in my bag for sure.

Looked good at address, not distracting at all. Again, not SGI clunky looking to me at all.

Really nice feel to this iron. Good feedback, and a satisfying sensation on a well struck ball. I was pleasantly surprised by these clubs.

I found this club to be very forgiving, much like the JPX-800 Mizuno irons. It certainly has the forgiveness you would look for in a SGI iron, but without all the drawbacks I typically see in that class of iron.

Alas, the shafts were very whippy for me so the shots were going very, very high and distance was lost. I can tell you that these will definitely help you get the ball airborn for sure, and I bet the right shaft will help a lot with the trajectory.

Overall impressions:
If I have a chance to test these with a suitable shaft, I will definitely consider this for my R7 iron replacement project coming up soon. They are that good. I don't think they quite have the distance of the Burner 2.0s or X-24s, but I think they are at least as forgiving and the feel is real nice. I think a mid handicapper should not overlook these because of the "SGI" label. And if I were a high handicapper, I think this is the best option I've hit along side the Mizuno JPX-800s.

Is the shaft a 'uniflex' steel shaft like in the Di9, the half/half steel/graphite, or something else...thanks

Is the shaft a 'uniflex' steel shaft like in the Di9, the half/half steel/graphite, or something else...thanks
It was a steel shaft... I believe it was the uniflex, but I didn't write it down. Might also have been a plain R steel staff. But I generally need something in the Stiff to X-stiff range so even in uniflex it would be too flexible for me.

Di11 Irons

Overall impressions:

Thanx golf4life,this was a great summary it sounds like someone just tried out my Di7's,except for the distance cause they tend to have to much distance for me.That and the uniflex shaft is the only complaint i will ever have about them.I think that despite how good the Di11's are and sound i may have to seriously consider the Ci9's instead.Because the steel shaft is unfortunately only available in a uniflex,and your experience with that shaft is what i play with everday.I have just learned how to swing easier than i naturally would,i was hoping the 11's uniflex would maybe be a little stiffer than what is in my 7's.I really wish they would give a stiff shaft option instead of only uniflex cause i naturally have a pretty aggresive swing speed.If not for that i think the 11's would be my new irons but i guess im goimg to start thinking more about the Ci9's,and thats ashame cause the Di11's sound so forgiving and look just plain bada**.

Thanx golf4life,this was a great summary it sounds like someone just tried out my Di7's,except for the distance cause they tend to have to much distance for me.That and the uniflex shaft is the only complaint i will ever have about them.I think that despite how good the Di11's are and sound i may have to seriously consider the Ci9's instead.Because the steel shaft is unfortunately only available in a uniflex,and your experience with that shaft is what i play with everday.I have just learned how to swing easier than i naturally would,i was hoping the 11's uniflex would maybe be a little stiffer than what is in my 7's.I really wish they would give a stiff shaft option instead of only uniflex cause i naturally have a pretty aggresive swing speed.If not for that i think the 11's would be my new irons but i guess im goimg to start thinking more about the Ci9's,and thats ashame cause the Di11's sound so forgiving and look just plain bada**.

The distance wasn't horrible mind you, but when you compare it to how freakin far the Burner 2.0s and X-24s are, its just not as long. Also, in the Di11's defense, we were hitting into about a 1 or 2 club wind on the driving range the whole time. So the extra spin just exaggerated things into the wind. And I wouldn't worry about the stock shaft so much... you can always rip em out and put something else in. Maybe you can even custom order them with better shafts direct from Wilson.

The distance wasn't horrible mind you, but when you compare it to how freakin far the Burner 2.0s and X-24s are, its just not as long. Also, in the Di11's defense, we were hitting into about a 1 or 2 club wind on the driving range the whole time. So the extra spin just exaggerated things into the wind. And I wouldn't worry about the stock shaft so much... you can always rip em out and put something else in. Maybe you can even custom order them with better shafts direct from Wilson.

Yea good point that is true,i will just have to wait and see i think i would really rather have the Di11's than the Ci9's.But who knows what i will be thinking tomorrow,much less by the time they come out.

Back