Finishing Hole

• Total voters

jdjanda

Reaction score
Handicap
Which to prefer to see as the finish for a pro tournament?

I like to see a drivable par 4 with plenty of risk for the reward of an eagle putt.

Standard par four, about 400-450 yards, with water along one side. Gives the opp off the tee to go long and have a wedge iron into the green.

All of the PGA National Courses ended with LONG par 5's and 3 of the 4 have water in play on the approach shot.

I love this set up because it provides several levels of risk and reward, and the possibility of an Eagle if that is needed.

Eagle: Go big or go Home
Birdie: Conservative- Lay up to a number, stick a low-iron/wedge close, one putt
Aggressive- Go for it in 2 and 2 putt the birdie
Par: This is still not a given and provides a good knee-knocker drive and approach.

Plus- they are always so scenic and really provide some great backdrops to the daring come back charge

a good risk reward drivable par 4 where there is trouble for wayward drives but a good long straight one gets a chance at eagle

Gotta be a Par 5. Specifically, 18 at Pebble.

Definitely not driveable, and not always reachable in two by even the longest hitters. Two great shots to give you a chance at eagle, or three shots to the green with a chance at birdie. Or you put it in the ocean and hopefully get a bogey.

A long par 4 - toughest hole on the course. I want them to have to make their best swings on the final hole with all of the pressure on the line. I don't want one lucky swing on the last hole to give a long hitter an eagle putt. A good tough hole that evens out the competition is the way to go, IMHO.

Gotta agree with P4B. The Par 5 18th on the Champ was just daunting.

Gotta agree with P4B. The Par 5 18th on the Champ was just daunting.

only hole I birdied that day...took 3 good shots and a putt.

I like ending on par 5's when I play, and I like how they have the opportunity to add drama to a tour event.

I agree, a par 5 is the way to go, adds a lot of suspense given eagle or birdie possibilites and helps make sure a 1 shot lead is not really safe.

Back