Equipment Pondering - W/ OEM Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just deciding that score was more important than my ego. I had narrowed my choices down to JPX 800 Pro's and Ping I15's. Had gone to the range at least 30 times just pounding balls with probably 30 different sets of irons. Went last Saturday and had convinced myself that the Mizzies were the ones. I hit them good with the occasional chunk but I thought that the chunk would happen with any club. I went on a forum that night and read a topic about going SGI clubs by a guy who was pretty close to scratch. That got me thinking as to why I needed to play something other than a shovel

So next day I once again head to the range. Take the 800 Pro's shafted with KBS and grudgingly take G15 shafted with AWT(Ping really needs to update their fitting cart) and head to the stalls. Start hitting 4 balls with each iron and then switching clubs. After about 50 balls there was a clear winner. Ping was insanely easy to hit and I probably hit the green 20/25 balls. I looked down and saw that the grass part of the range had opened up so headed down there with the last of my balls. Start hitting 4 balls with each club again. This time Mizzies really came alive though. The sole grind on those really shines on turf. Was hitting high/low left/right whatever I wanted. Ping was still just this tight little draw and if I exaggerated the move a little I could hit fades and high/low also. Towards the end of the bucket I started to cheat as I desperately wanted those Mizzies. Started giving them some princess lies and was hitting some great shots. Pings were getting the nastiest lies I could find and was still hitting nice little draws. Last few balls and I was just taking the Pings and putting them in the divots of the Mizzie shots. Still perfect little draws. I just started laughing at myself and walked away.

I just had to ask myself if I wanted the nice bag that I could take pictures of and put on websites proudly proclaiming that I can hit irons that some people couldn't or did I want to go to the course and give myself the best chance of putting the lowest numbers down on the scorecard. I love the feeling of flushing a nice forged club. There are few things better. But I have to admit that hitting those Pings reminded me of playing golf when I was young. I grew up on cast clubs and had not hit a true forged club until just a few years ago. I really liked the way the Ping's felt when I flushed one. But I really really liked the results of the shots off the Pings that I didn't flush. Why make it harder on myself? So to make it official I went to TGW where I had store credit and got myself the Ping visor(I also couldn't resist the TM NFL hats which are on sale). I think I'm a Ping convert now. I'm super excited to get these clubs. I do want to get a nice forged club to have as a backup set but I think I have come to the conclusion that I'm a shovel guy. No reason to make the game any harder than it already is. I should have a few more months of playing this year and I have a feeling I will get my index back to where it was pre injury which was my goal.

Just deciding that score was more important than my ego. I had narrowed my choices down to JPX 800 Pro's and Ping I15's. Had gone to the range at least 30 times just pounding balls with probably 30 different sets of irons. Went last Saturday and had convinced myself that the Mizzies were the ones. I hit them good with the occasional chunk but I thought that the chunk would happen with any club. I went on a forum that night and read a topic about going SGI clubs by a guy who was pretty close to scratch. That got me thinking as to why I needed to play something other than a shovel

So next day I once again head to the range. Take the 800 Pro's shafted with KBS and grudgingly take G15 shafted with AWT(Ping really needs to update their fitting cart) and head to the stalls. Start hitting 4 balls with each iron and then switching clubs. After about 50 balls there was a clear winner. Ping was insanely easy to hit and I probably hit the green 20/25 balls. I looked down and saw that the grass part of the range had opened up so headed down there with the last of my balls. Start hitting 4 balls with each club again. This time Mizzies really came alive though. The sole grind on those really shines on turf. Was hitting high/low left/right whatever I wanted. Ping was still just this tight little draw and if I exaggerated the move a little I could hit fades and high/low also. Towards the end of the bucket I started to cheat as I desperately wanted those Mizzies. Started giving them some princess lies and was hitting some great shots. Pings were getting the nastiest lies I could find and was still hitting nice little draws. Last few balls and I was just taking the Pings and putting them in the divots of the Mizzie shots. Still perfect little draws. I just started laughing at myself and walked away.

I just had to ask myself if I wanted the nice bag that I could take pictures of and put on websites proudly proclaiming that I can hit irons that some people couldn't or did I want to go to the course and give myself the best chance of putting the lowest numbers down on the scorecard. I love the feeling of flushing a nice forged club. There are few things better. But I have to admit that hitting those Pings reminded me of playing golf when I was young. I grew up on cast clubs and had not hit a true forged club until just a few years ago. I really liked the way the Ping's felt when I flushed one. But I really really liked the results of the shots off the Pings that I didn't flush. Why make it harder on myself? So to make it official I went to TGW where I had store credit and got myself the Ping visor(I also couldn't resist the TM NFL hats which are on sale). I think I'm a Ping convert now. I'm super excited to get these clubs. I do want to get a nice forged club to have as a backup set but I think I have come to the conclusion that I'm a shovel guy. No reason to make the game any harder than it already is. I should have a few more months of playing this year and I have a feeling I will get my index back to where it was pre injury which was my goal.

I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us and thanks for being honest. Bro, nothing wrong with GI irons and I can't wait to watch that hcp drop!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great experience CL. It's pretty funny how hard we'll work to buy the clubs we *want* rather than the ones we hit the best.

Glad to hear you went with the Pings. I hope they really perform for you.

sounds like you made a good decision CL. When I got my Pings I was down to them and the X20 Tour's. The Pings just felt right. I love them, and don't plan on switching from them for a while.

Great post CL! My wife plays the Ping G15 irons and loves em.

Very cool to hear your thoughts CL. Congrats on the new clubs!

Pondering how much this outing will cost me AFTER I get home....let's see, I liked this, that, this...

Pondering how much this outing will cost me AFTER I get home....let's see, I liked this, that, this...

My wallet is already starting to quiver.

hahahah...

I'm pondering new spikes for the Footjoys. Some of the spikes are cracked and worn down. Wondering if I need to do it. Don't wanna have more shoe malfuntions mess up my swing :sarcastic:

its going to cost me double...because its going to be I liked this, this, and that. I also know Jenn is going to like this, this, this, this, and that. AND her birthday is in the beginning of Oct...I'm already calling the bank for a loan. I'm hoping she wins the raffle for the Mizuno irons because that would save me a lot of money

not to forget I'm looking to FALL IN LOVE with an R9 of some sort. Along with a shaft fitting

I just ordered a brand new Nike VR Tour driver. I have a project x 6.5 in it. Over the winter I am going to deck it out with a new shaft and a new grip. It will look tight.

I just ordered a brand new Nike VR Tour driver. I have a project x 6.5 in it. Over the winter I am going to deck it out with a new shaft and a new grip. It will look tight.

Why? That is the exact club I have and love it! So good just on it's own!

When im out of my AP English class I don't speak good english. I think I might throw a ust in there but you never know this could be the best shaft I've never had.

I know I'm probably posting in the wrong spot but I'm new to this site and was wondering how everybody adds information about there clubs at the bottom and how you post new threads. Thanks

Thanks alot JB!

I have started looking at irons. I hit some balls with the MX200 at Golftown the other day. I liked these alot. Was eyeing the X24 until they told me there aren't plans for a lefty set. Waiting for the demo X22's to come back in. This will be my first replacement set and I have liked the 3DX's so I'm not sure why I'm looking. I guess that's golf.

New shaft for my driver or heck maybe even a who knows a whole new driver!

This thread should get pretty exciting after all the testing that was done at the outing. :act-up:

New shaft for my driver or heck maybe even a who knows a whole new driver!

I think what I want the most after this outing is more of your cookies. Thanks Mary!

I'm pondering a few things after the outing. I won't get into specifics until reviews are up, but I am looking at a new driver/shaft combo, some wedges, and a new set of irons.

I'm pondering a few things after the outing. I won't get into specifics until reviews are up, but I am looking at a new driver/shaft combo, some wedges, and a new set of irons.

let me guess: supertri w/miya silver and xft's?

patiently waiting on the cleveland iron reviews... I've only got a few months to consider trading in my XLi's before the 2 year trade in window is up. I'd really like a set from Cleveland with a little more of a traditional transition from short irons to hybrids instead of the all hybrid set I have now! But I hit them pretty well and it will have to be a significant improvement to get my XLi's out of my bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back