What is your normal shot?

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
First of all, I think there is a thread on this topic, but I cannot find it for the life of me. I was talking to Jrod a bit about this yesterday and saw some posts that made me think more about it.

What kind of ball do you hit? As in, draw/fade/straight etc.

I have fully embraced a small fade as my preferred shot with everything from my 8i down to my 3W. I fought it early this year since everything I read said I should be drawing the ball. Towards the middle of the season I just decided to play what I have and I've been really happy. It's less pronounced at the top of my bag and a bit bigger in the longer clubs.

The only downsides I've found are 1) I lose a few yards in my longer clubs 2) with my driver, the fade can easily become a big slice.

With my 9i and up I pretty much hit the ball straight.

My normal shot sounds exactly what you have just descibed as your normal shot.
I fight the big slice with the longer clubs if I don't watch myself. Would love to be able to hit a draw but the golf gods just don't deem me worthy enough I guess.
From 8 iron down I generally hit 'em straight but my main miss is a push to the right.
On the positive side, I can say I'm just like Nicklaus.....I take the entire left side of the course out of play!!

• Staff
My miss tends to be a straight pull or a trickler off of the toe. I don't really slice anything but my driver.

My miss is a pull or snap hook lol. My good shots are straight or a very slight draw(driver)/fade (irons).

a little fade but since playig the x-24's those things just want to hit everything straight. damn those clubs lol

Straight, But my misses are a huge push/slice. Goes right, then curves FURTHER right.

I agree...she's mean to me

I've been working on turning more of a draw, however, ATM, I hit them straight, if not a slight fade.

Let's not talk about misses!

My normal shot with everything from my 4W-LW is a draw/hook. My driver is either a slight fade, or straight depending on the day. Although when I really swing at it, it turns into a snap hook :)

I can not fade/slice any club except the D for the life of me.

my "normal" shot
i draw my irons
and fade my longer clubs
and push my putter

lately my miss is a mean snap hook with everything except my putter

Before taking lessons, I hit a fade for 20+ years (too upright and used all arms instead of turning shoulders properly). Now I hit fairly straight or a slight draw (when I don't pull it). I do have an occasional fade but it is not very often.

My normal shot is a fade.

I can draw irons but I have trouble hitting a draw with a driver.

I just see a fade as my "default" shot and leave it at that - especially in pressure situations. It's been said that people tend to revert to what's comfortable when they're under pressure and I don't fight that I just plan for it and it's nice to know that I can count on that fade. :thumb:

-JP

I agree that it's nice to know what to expect. It took me awhile, but I finally realized I might as well accept it and plan for it.

When I'm hitting them well, I pretty much hit a straight shot, driver through wedge. I can usually hit a fade with any club when I need to. I can also hit a draw, but the line between a draw and an out of bounds snap hook for me is a very thin line so I don't often play for a draw unless I pretty much need to have that shot shape (around a tree or dogleg).

So to answer your initial question, straight.

My normal shot sounds exactly what you have just descibed as your normal shot.
I fight the big slice with the longer clubs if I don't watch myself. Would love to be able to hit a draw but the golf gods just don't deem me worthy enough I guess.
From 8 iron down I generally hit 'em straight but my main miss is a push to the right.
On the positive side, I can say I'm just like Nicklaus.....I take the entire left side of the course out of play!!

You've pretty much just described my game to a tee... Glad I'm not the only one!

Fade with my longer clubs and a draw with the 7 or 8 up. Although, I've suddenly started comeing over the top just a bit with my short irons and can quickly jerk it left hard.

Yesterday in the wind I experimented with a draw/fade into the cross wind with one extra club and it really works well. The ball would sit down nice and neat without a lot of extra roll.

I normally hit a little draw with my irons. I used to hit a slice/fade with my driver and Fw but now I'm hitting it straight or a little draw. Now sometimes I hit a big snap hook with my Driver lol

Draw with almost every club in the bag which sometimes results in major hookage. My driver has been the worst about that lately. I will hit good tee shots for the majority of the day and randomly start hooking it at times.

Back