The Official NFL 2010 Thread [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen that play in slow motion, only seen it twice i think, could he have used 2 hands when coming down to the ground?

He caught it with two hands, secured it with two hands and then fell to the ground on his back/side. Which would clearly suggest being down. Then he rolled over and used the ball to get up and as he ran out of bounds dropped the ball.

I haven't seen that play in slow motion, only seen it twice i think, could he have used 2 hands when coming down to the ground?

He was already on the ground sitting on his butt. Got up and braced himself up with the football hand. Drops the ball!

You know you can just have one made with your name on it.

Haha, I knew you could do that but that takes the fun out f it. I dont want all these random people to know my name is Jarret. I just thought it would be cool.
I got the same issue, all the McNeils spell their name wrong.
or you do!
I think the next time MegaTron catches a TD pass, he should just sit down in the endzone for 30 seconds and not give the ball up. Just sit there. Let everybody wait and MAKE A STATEMENT!
I would love to see this happen!!

From what I saw after the catch he was celebrating. He wanted to make a point by putting that ball down and he did. He destroyed Zack Bowman and should've been happy but watching all these games how often is a pass ruled imcomplete because the receiver didn't maintain posession after coming down with the ball? It is counter intuitive as you point out because of how you can touch the pylon or just cross the goaline when entering the endzone.

I'm not saying its not a stupid rule. I believe we had a few drops last year same type of action with the receiver. I couldn't tell ya who cause there were a lot of po'd moments last season. Does it make sense when you compare it with your pylon/goaline example? Nope. And as my buddy and I were watching the game we said the same thing. In fact if you wanna know the truth I hate the fact we won like did. I joke around a lot and I have a very dry sense of humor but I'm no fan of winning like a punk then acting like we won something (see Briggs postgame remarks). I think our team played well in some areas but to win like that and celebrate for real upsets me as a Bears fan. We are supposed to be a tough team and to win like that definitely hurts the pride. I say a win is a win but doesnt mean its a good thing. Lovie lucked out.

Rules sometimes are outdated but they're there and enforced (unfortunately not always consistantly). I bet the Lions come back extremely tough October 9th with revenge on their mind.

That is a borderline absurd comparison. Because CJ never celebrated. He just dropped the ball after the play was over.

Case in point, if a RB goes over teh pile and the tip of the ball crosses the line regardless if the ball comes free, it is a TD. Yet CJ goes up and catches a pass, comes down with it, his butt is on the ground (which equals down by the way) and then gets up and drops the ball because he just got a game winning TD pass and they say NO catch.

I have a feeling that your view is more to do with it being a Bears game and less than the actual rule. And thats cool, its your team. But to compare this to guys dropping the ball to celebrate before getting to the endzone is not the same.

From what I saw after the catch he was celebrating. He wanted to make a point by putting that ball down and he did. He destroyed Zack Bowman and should've been happy but watching all these games how often is a pass ruled imcomplete because the receiver didn't maintain posession after coming down with the ball? It is counter intuitive as you point out because of how you can touch the pylon or just cross the goaline when entering the endzone. .

But he did maintain possession. He was sitting on the ground with the ball. Far different than dropping it before the endzone or juggling it by any means. He went up and got it, came down with it, and was on his butt.

How is that different than a receiver that catches a pass and gets two feet in bounds and then goes out. Play is dead when you have possession and cross the goal line. He did both of those things.

I was trying to be as coherent as possible lol. I thought it was going to be a game the way that first half ended. But yeah play calling wasn't so hot. First game and maybe they were testing Matt Moore? Can you imagine if they had someone else to cover other than Smith how much he would dominate? Even just another threat as a pass catcher.
Well, I just wanna say that you were a hell of a play by play caller for me, I really appreciate it! I watched the Carolina game when I got home and I was not surprised at all. I guess one thing I dont get is the Play calling. They are a run dominate team. They get a GREAT drive going by getting a 1st down on the opposing 45 and then they pass 3 times in a row. Ugh, then they chose to run it when I feel they shouldnt. Fire John Fox and his dumb dumb O coordinator.

I was trying to be as coherent as possible lol. I thought it was going to be a game the way that first half ended. But yeah play calling wasn't so hot. First game and maybe they were testing Matt Moore? Can you imagine if they had someone else to cover other than Smith how much he would dominate? Even just another threat as a pass catcher.

EXACTLY!!!! Thats what I dont get. You should see all of the NC newspapers. All they are saying is that the Panthers are just keeping these young players and not trying to put too much money out there because of the possible hold outs next year. how they are just trying to "survive" this year. UGH!!!

FIFY...
EXACTLY!!!! Thats what I dont get. You should see all of the NC newspapers. All they are saying is that the Panthers are just keeping these young players and not trying to put too much money out there because of the possible lock outs next year. how they are just trying to "survive" this year. UGH!!!

If a receiver gets two feet in, catches it but then loses it after he hits the ground/gets hit its normally incomplete (not crossing the endzone). Even if its a sideline grab. If I'm off on the rule I apologize.

My biggest question was what is the difference between crossing the endzone and making a catch IN the endzone that is different (which I guess is why they applied this rule)? I think he maintained possession as far a catch but the rules officials didnt. When you slow it down it looks like two parts to the play, the catch and the after (where the ball came out). Refs said it was all one part.

Not a good way to lose and I'd be mad as hell if the Bears were put down on a call like that. Just being honest.

But he did maintain possession. He was sitting on the ground with the ball. Far different than dropping it before the endzone or juggling it by any means. He went up and got it, came down with it, and was on his butt.

How is that different than a receiver that catches a pass and gets two feet in bounds and then goes out. Play is dead when you have possession and cross the goal line. He did both of those things.

That sucks man. I really hope a deal is made soon. Just to get it out of the way.
EXACTLY!!!! Thats what I dont get. You should see all of the NC newspapers. All they are saying is that the Panthers are just keeping these young players and not trying to put too much money out there because of the possible hold outs next year. how they are just trying to "survive" this year. UGH!!!

If a receiver gets two feet in, catches it but then loses it after he hits the ground/gets hit its normally incomplete (not crossing the endzone). Even if its a sideline grab. If I'm off on the rule I apologize.

That is true. But the big difference is, he DIDNT lose it when he was on the ground. He was holding the ball while sitting on his butt.

Yeah man and I definitely don't want to come off as an arrogant Bears fan in this one. I'm not trying to be argumentative to anyone either it's just a crappy rule full of contradictions. I think/thought he dropped after the act of the catch was complete and figured because it was in the endzone that last part didnt matter. I'm also sure we will see another catch this year that contradicts the call that was just made too.

That is true. But the big difference is, he DIDNT lose it when he was on the ground. He was holding the ball while sitting on his butt.

Yeah man and I definitely don't want to come off as an arrogant Bears fan in this one. I'm not trying to be argumentative to anyone either it's just a crappy rule full of contradictions. I think/thought he dropped after the act of the catch was complete and figured because it was in the endzone that last part didnt matter. I'm also sure we will see another catch this year that contradicts the call that was just made too.

Didnt think that of you at all.

Here is a good video of it. When it slows down it looks like his arm is coming down to the ground as he is. Watching it a few times now, I think I would rule it a non catch. Its too bad, he made a great play on the ball.

Also I am watching this without sound since I am at work, so I don't know what is being said in the clip.

I am wondering if you think this is a similar type of call.

It is one of those plays that is going to be divisive and controversial. I've heard enough experts and analysts explain it now that I understand why it was called the way it was. By strict interpretation of the rules I understand. But it is clearly one of those situations where you look at it and all common sense screams at you that it it should be a TD. Sometimes in professional sports the best intended rules fail to result in fair results. Dustin Johnson anyone?

I feel bad for the Lions, but I have to admit selfishly feeling fine about surviving week 1 of my elimination pool on that bizarre play.

From what I saw after the catch he was celebrating. He wanted to make a point by putting that ball down and he did. He destroyed Zack Bowman and should've been happy but watching all these games how often is a pass ruled imcomplete because the receiver didn't maintain posession after coming down with the ball? It is counter intuitive as you point out because of how you can touch the pylon or just cross the goaline when entering the endzone.

I'm not saying its not a stupid rule. I believe we had a few drops last year same type of action with the receiver. I couldn't tell ya who cause there were a lot of po'd moments last season. Does it make sense when you compare it with your pylon/goaline example? Nope. And as my buddy and I were watching the game we said the same thing. In fact if you wanna know the truth I hate the fact we won like did. I joke around a lot and I have a very dry sense of humor but I'm no fan of winning like a punk then acting like we won something (see Briggs postgame remarks). I think our team played well in some areas but to win like that and celebrate for real upsets me as a Bears fan. We are supposed to be a tough team and to win like that definitely hurts the pride. I say a win is a win but doesnt mean its a good thing. Lovie lucked out.

Rules sometimes are outdated but they're there and enforced (unfortunately not always consistantly). I bet the Lions come back extremely tough October 9th with revenge on their mind.

I agree with you and I think it ought to have been a TD.

The issue seemed to be that he apparently wanted to leave the ball in the end zone and take off celebrating, which I totally get and have seen many times. The problem appears to be that he let go of the ball a microsecond sooner than he should have and that's what got the ref's attention.

If you saw the Steeler game, an almost identical situation occurred when Polamalu picked off a pass near the sideline. He (just like CJ) caught the ball two-handed in front of his face and after he did his "toe-tap/foot drag" clamped onto the ball with his right hand so he could break his fall with his left (just as CJ did). The difference though was that instead of letting that ball get anywhere near the ground, Polamalu held that ball up in the air throughout his fall and slide so that there would be no doubt whatsoever that he caught it and held onto it the entire time.

Polamalu has been burned in the past for letting go of a ball too soon and he learned his lesson and I think CJ will too.

Costas pointed out during last night's Eagles/Packers halftime that a rule should be about fairness and common sense and even thought the ref's got it right with the "letter of the rule", the rule itself got it wrong. He compared this situation with that of Dustin Johnson and the "bunker" issue and that DJ got hosed and that the rule itself is questionable. He also said (as John Madden has often said) that if it looks like a touchdown, it ought to be a touchdown and I couldn't agree more.

But Tom Jackson summed it up best when he pointed out that this is the way things are in the NFL and that since rules like this exist, a player needs to do whatever he can to make sure that there is no doubt at all in such situations and he pointed out that even though CJ got a raw deal, he'll probably never let this happen again.

Does the rule need to be looked at? Absolutely. Should it have been a touchdown? Absolutely.

But if CJ had simply resisted the urge to celebrate and held the ball up in the air as Polamalu did or as any outfielder does when "proving" to an ump that he caught a shoestringer, we wouldn't be talking about this. So just as Dustin Johnson should have regarded anything that wasn't grass as a bunker (whether it looked like one or not), CJ should just hang on to the ball until a ref comes to pry it out of his hands.

-JP

Oh I figured that haha but I know how I can come off at times and wanted to throw that out there before it was sittin that way. I could probably go on for days about this catch unfortunately because it really also brings up other issues for my team and fandom. Is my team really happy they won like this? The defense played very good and then let off with questionable coverage calls in the end. Hot Rod as our D Cord in game winning drives or was it Lovie?

I know the NFL refs get bad reps but I believe they have an extremely tough job. This is just one of those things where I believe less (in case of the rules on catches) would be better. I also wonder how many teams will be drilling some of the rules in prep for Week 2....

Didnt think that of you at all.

I dont see how you can rule that not a catch. He never once juggles it, secures it with two hands, comes down with one and still never juggles it. I think its clearly a catch. I dunno, but it seems about as easy as anything Ive seen to call a catch. This is another case of a stupid rule clouding an easy call.

This is from Matt Mosely of ESPN.COM

"Who needs Donovan McNabb when you have Garrett calling plays on the opposite sideline?"

lmao. That was about the last second TD the Cowboys gave up just before halftime.

This is from Matt Mosely of ESPN.COM

"Who needs Donovan McNabb when you have Garrett calling plays on the opposite sideline?"

lmao. That was about the last second TD the Cowboys gave up just before halftime.

I agree about the knee. Just like I said last night, only smart thing there is a knee. But it still should have never happened if Romo throws it down the field, like what was called.

Wasn't Garrett the second coming a few years ago??????

Wasn't Garrett the second coming a few years ago??????

Yeah something like that. I see online Phillips and Garrett have both admitted they screwed that up.

The other thing that got old was all the forced plays to Bryant. It obvious they were going to get him the ball at all cost and most of the plays were no gain WR sideline screen type plays. They called him spiderman in camp for his catches down field not on the line of scrimmage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back