Guaranteed Golf School

RxGus

Argyle Warrior
Reaction score
Handicap
Winter
I am in the process of trying to find a pro to take lessons with around Cleveland and I came across this site. Northeast Ohio School of Golf It seems a little hoaky just based on the website but as I was reading through it, my "To good to be true" alarm went off.

After 8 weeks, you will be playing golf better than you ever have before.

Once you go through one of our Guaranteed Golf classes, you are a alumni for life. As a Guaranteed Golf alumni, you can continue to come back to future classes without ever paying again! Feel free to show up in class at any location as much as you like. This is a major benefit of going through our golf school. Not only does Guaranteed Golf work, no other golf school in the country can boast of a effective 'lifetime coaching system' like we provide - all this for only $169.00.

I paid $50 for 30 mins at the last place I was at... and I am going to get 8 sessions for $169, plus being able to show up and get a "free" lesson anytime I want? That doesn't seem to fit for me.

They also have a "masters" program of 10 weeks for $300 where they focus on...
This is a more intense program for better golfers. The focus will be on learning to practice more effectively, correcting and fine tuning the full swing, short game "201", course management, identifying lost strokes, and on course instruction as deemed necessary.

My thought is that there has to be hidden charges and lots of other things that go into this. There isn't any way they could actually make money on this business model.

What are your thoughts?

Additional thought: For what it's worth, at least two of the courses that "host" these events are big name/nice courses in the area

I saw that place a while back and I also found it a bit suspect.

I think your alarm (I call mine a B.S. Detector) is working fine. My lessons with the owner (whom I've known since the '80s) of a local golf school retail for $70 for 30 mins. And you can't come back later and sit in on lessons whenever you want.

KellyBo and I pay $400.00 dollars every time we sign up for a six pack of lessons. If you want single lessons from our teacher you pay $80.00 per lesson. Our golf coach taught Russell Henley, who tied for low amateur in the U S Open Championship. This coach knows his stuff and is not cheap, however, he's very sharp at what he does. I think you get what you pay for and a good reliable instructor, with respectable references, goes a long way. Ask them if they have any clients that you can contact. I would review their coaching expertise and follow-up agreements.

Last edited:
Sounds fishy. I still thiink one of the best ways to find a teacher is to ask around and get some recomendations. Are you guys looking for somebody new to get some fresh ideas. I thought you guys were kinda' OK with where you wrere. I know you have a good deal of time in with your current teaching Pro.

I am really struggling off the tee and I just moved from Wisconsin back to Ohio. I would love to ask around but I don't know many other golfers in the area and the ones that I do know are "Who needs a coach- I have never needed a coach" type.
I would like to find and develop a coach/student relationship that I can fall back onto when stuff like this happens.

I agree though. It smells fishy.

Guaranteed Golf - Personal Experience

Guaranteed Golf - Personal Experience

Hi,

I know the claims of Guaranteed Golf Schools sound over the top: 8 lessons for $169 and tune up lessons for life (so long as you retain your "Alum" bag tag). I have went through the course and can share my experience.

Prior to attending this school, I took several lessons from two different PGA professionals. I spent a ton of money, but made little consistent progress. While the pros were very knowledgeable, transfer of that knowledge into something I could use was slow and fairly ineffective. The material just didn't stick with me.

After taking a break from golf, I decided to give it another go. I played 8 rounds, got the bug and needed instruction. I saw GG advertised in a local paper and reserved a spot.

Lessons were offered in several OH locations as well as some cities in the south. I took my lessons in Dublin, OH. My instructor was the founder of GG, having taught it for about 27 years as I recall. He had a couple of assistants who rotated through out the eight weeks.

The course was designed for people who have played golf for a while. My class did include a beginning golfer. By the end of eight weeks he was pretty close to my performance which I judged above average, but not the top of the class.

Having taught "adult centered learning" courses, I recognized that is one of the principles of this school. Swings and techniques are NOT broken down into tiny increments. This is far different from my previous PGA pro experiences. Basic principles were offered and the student practiced those principles, building one upon the other.

Muscle memory is a huge part of this program. "Homework" was assigned after every class. The goal was to build memory of a proper motion/task so one does not think of it - it is eventually performed naturally. For me, just correcting my club head path of travel, resulting in a more natural motion, took several weeks even though I practiced 5-6 times a week. (I pushed the ball about 90% of the time prior to completing the course).

Only the driver was used the first three weeks: The better to see errors. No ball striking until the third week. No, this is not a beginner course. But the goal is to get rid of bad habits and baggage, focusing on only one new principle at at time. More quality practice, better results. No banging balls; only quality practice is encouraged.

These are not private lessons. The format is around group lessons where you can attend any session you like, including repeats during the week. In the greater Columbus OH area there are 4 to 6 sessions conducted in a week, all available as a student's schedule allows. There were "alums" that returned to brush up on some aspect of there game.

Even though the lessons were group with 8 -10 in most sessions I attended, the content was well presented with plenty of practice/coaching.

Fast forward to results: Over the course of the season after taking the course, I slashed 16 strokes off my game. Granted, I was a real hacker, but am now shooting 88 vs 104.

Most of my improvement came from driving the ball much farther (190 yards to 235 yards) while keeping the ball in the fairway. Club head speed (which was poor) improved to help my follow through and increase striking force.

Slices were rarely a problem, but consistent pushed into the rough killed my scores. I am hitting the fairway most drives now, and when I do hit right it is only a few yards from the short grass.

I have much more work to do, especially my short game, but still good progress.

In closing, I find this program superior to the private lessons I've encountered. And a lot cheaper, too.

Hope you find this useful ...

Thanks for posting your experience. I got all excited as I thought Gus had come back

Holy thread bump!!!

LOL, I thought this was a recent thread until your post. I go back and check out the dates. Sure enough, it was bumped by the 'raving review' of Guaranteed Golf. How convenient.

Thanks for posting your experience. I got all excited as I thought Gus had come back

Hi,

I am new to this site and thought I'd offer my experience. Great info on this site.

Curious - insight as to "Gus"? Probably brings a smile to someone's face!

Take care ...

Thanks for the experience PFL! Gus is a cool dude who hasnt been around for a little while. Interesting stuff to say the least.

Hi,

I am new to this site and thought I'd offer my experience. Great info on this site.

Curious - insight as to "Gus"? Probably brings a smile to someone's face!

Take care ...

Ok, I know I just signed up for this site but I signed up for this sole purpose. I am two weeks into the above mentioned course and when I google "Guaranteed Golf Reviews" this is the second result that comes up.

I'm much like the original poster because it just seemed too good to be true. A google search for the best Columbus Ohio Golf Instructors comes up to show one of the founders of this class, but the results are from 2004.

So yeah, I'm bumping a thread that is 3 years old to the top because I think it's important that when someone is looking for a good golf class that they are able to see people who have taken it.

I'm going to echo what PinkFloydLover said about the class. This isn't a class for people who are good at golf and what to refine their game. This is a class to teach the basic fundamentals of what most people are doing wrong when they swing a club.

I slice(d) the ball like crazy. So what did I do, I aimed left. And if I ever hit it straight, I ended up in the left rough rather than the right. Not exactly how the game was meant to be played.

I've been playing for probably 7 years, on and off. I've never really been serious about the game until the last 3-4 and that's because I'm in a golf league now with people at work. I've always been fairly athletic. I was a good high school basketball player, but far from great. So yeah, I'm competitive to the point where I don't care if I win, but I don't want to be last and I want it to be close.

I've recently started working in Springfield, Ohio and started playing National Links which is, in my limited experience, a pretty nice, challenging course. The league is a 9 hole league. My scores so far have been a 55, 61, 57, and 52. So, yeah, I suck at golf.

I started Guaranteed Golf the Tuesday before the 57 round(league is on Thursdays).

I'm only two weeks into the course and I can already tell a difference in my game. I played yesterday and I only hit one fairway, but my misses didn't kill me. Now, 9 strokes on the back 9 is a little much. I also putted quite a bit better than I did the first time, but I was the type that was afraid to pull out my driver in fear of losing the ball. I don't have to worry about that as much right now. I hit my driver on every par 4 and 5 and didn't lose a ball. That's an improvement for me.

I have yet to hit a ball in class, but actually was excited about going back to the class after the last round. Again, I know a 52 isn't great. I get it. But it was an improvement from the 61 and I could see myself getting a little better. To be honest, after the second class, I was a little leary. I think the instructor has talked more than we've actually been swinging clubs. I've done my homework(which is just practicing 10 swings a day) of what he's told me. I haven't been to a driving range since, just played in my league.

I'll give an update after the class is over, but 2 weeks in and I'd already recommend the class to people who aren't good at the game of golf. Again, much like the pinkfloyd guy above me, I had taken classes with some of the local Columbus guys. One was at the Golf Club of Dublin. I figured being in Dublin and as big as a golf town as that is in Central, Ohio, that would be a good place to go. As you can see from the scores above, it didn't really do me any good. The other instructor was while I was in my senior year of high school and I ended up just not going to those anymore. I knew I wasn't getting better.

So, yeah, I signed up just to give this review. Sorry for bumping an old thread, just know that it was important for me when I was looking up reviews to see pinkfloyd's and wanted to echo his thoughts.

Thanks,
Ryan

Northeast NEO Ohio Guaranteed Golf

Northeast NEO Ohio Guaranteed Golf

Ryan,

any updates on Guaranteed Golf in NorthEast Ohio? I'm thinking of taking this course in a couple of weeks -- not sure how'll i do at listening to someone talk for several hours before i hit a ball

thanks

Back