Cheaper putting greens

Bridges

Reaction score
Handicap
Another forum member just bought a putting green and it really made me want to get one because all I have at home is carpet to practice on. I dont want an expensive one YET lol just seeing if anyone had any experience with a few of the cheaper ones, price range is about $30-$130 and just going to have it in my room or put in our game room then eventually later on get a more expensive one.

Here are a few I have in mind that are pretty cheap, any one have these or know anything about them?

Thank you!

I think this one might be to cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Indoor-7-Putting-Green-Automatic-Ball-Return-/170420784581?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

This one might be pretty good.
indoor-putting-green-pic.jpg

Little bigger than the first one.(changed the link to a more reliable one)
http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp/SUBCATEGORY_ID/9566/refScid/1363

I have one of the Golf Digest ball return mats and I don't use it. I swear the ball funnels into the hole or the outline of the mat makes it too easy to make putts. Either way, I didn't feel it was helping me at all. I just putt on my basement utility carpet into one those ball-returning "holes". I don't use the ball return b/c it makes a horrible noise. I think it cost 10 bucks. Not great, but I'm cheap and it works fine.

ya im kinda worried that there wont be much of a point in buying one if its super easy in making them. But then again if your making them over and over at least you know your not pushing/pulling the putts. I have about a 11'x4' spot in my room were I could lay a mat down and a little bit bigger spot in the game room but just worried it might be useless since its just a mat laying on the floor and not elevated off the ground like the nicer ones. It would be fun to play with on those rainy and cold days.

I like to use my basement carpet for practicing 3-5 ft putts. It has helped me alot. 5-15 minutes a day. Obviously, there is no break, but I'm just looking to hit the ball in a straight line right into the cup.

See my carpet in my room is a little ruffled (or whatever you want to call it) so the ball bounces some and doesnt really do me any good lol I think I might get the one in the middle (picture showing) just to lay over it and then maybe eventually build a piece of wood to fit it so its a little elevated then make a place thats the same height so I can put my feet on. And that one in the middle is only 40 bucks and figured it would serve its purpose of what I want for now.

Laying was is in actuality just a thin strip of cheap astroturf over it will do little for a difference.

Laying was is in actuality just a thin strip of cheap astroturf over it will do little for a difference.

They made this one with a piece of foam type material on bottom then Polypropylene grass on top of that, its a little bit better than what they use on the real cheap ones(first link). You probably think im dumb for spending money on something like this but its all I got to work with for now. lol

I'm with ya on looking cheap Bridges, I want one badly to play with all my toys in the winter! lol

I think I'll likely end up building one in the winter but the one in your first post is intriguing...I wish I knew someone who had used one.

I'm with ya on looking cheap Bridges, I want one badly to play with all my toys in the winter! lol

I think I'll likely end up building one in the winter but the one in your first post is intriguing...I wish I knew someone who had used one.

My thoughts as well, now that I have thought about it. I have been talking to a guy that has a bunch of the top putting mats (or what the top companys use) and he can make it any shape I want, im thinking about buying some plywood at Lowe's then putting that mat on top, cutting cup holes in it and have a putting green for pretty cheap. My grandpa used to build houses, and my mom is building a house right now so I might be able to get some for cheap or even free then have him cut the holes for me and I will staple/use wood nails to put the mat over the top. Its going to be heavy but it would be pretty cool.

My buddy has got the odyssey golf putting mat. Here's a link to it at walmart but you can DEFINITLY find it cheaper elsewhere.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Odyssey-Putting-Mat/13812328?sourceid=1500000000000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=13812328

The Carpet has great speed and the hole is slightly smaller than standard to help your accuracy. The best part about this mat is that the back has this hard rubber that is non slip. The rubber also wont let you fold the mat when you're done. You have to roll it up instead which wont put any creases on the putting surface side like some other mats. It's a little more priced than other regular mats but I wil say it IS a better product though.

This one would not be a bad pick up. Its flat then before the holes it goes on a slight incline to the hole, it has a better putting surface than the cheaper ones and might just serve its purpose till I get a nice one. I cant make up my mind though lol

indoor-putting-green-pic.jpg

I have the first one, wife bought it for me from Walmart or similar store. I use it on top of our hardwood floors and it works just fine for what it is. Also very easy to fold up and stick in a closet. Looking at a couple of the others you've posted though I'm getting the itch to upgrade!

I have the first one, wife bought it for me from Walmart or similar store. I use it on top of our hardwood floors and it works just fine for what it is. Also very easy to fold up and stick in a closet. Looking at a couple of the others you've posted though I'm getting the itch to upgrade!

The same thing happended to me when someone posted a thread about getting one earlier lol but the one with the picture showing is only $40 and im thinking I might get it for now then build/buy a nicer one later on in dec/jan

Anyone else get "grooves" in their carpet? You know that little spring on the wall to stop your doorknob from slamming into the wall? I used to putt for 20 mins everynight at that spring. I realized that after doing this for 2 years, that no matter how much I vacum, there is a slight path/groove in carpet from the ball traveling constantly on the line. (Not braggin, I aint THAT consistent with my putting) My buddies can see it when I hit a putt slightly off line. It bounces around like crazy until it hops back into the groove and then rolls better.

Any ways I've since switched to an actuall putting matt and I love it.
*Quick note for dog and cat owners. Get yourself a small can of stray cat repellent (its coyote urine) and give the mat a very small spray. This way you won't find any "surprises" left behind by the family dog or cat. Also it stopped my cat from chasing my putts. Nothing worse than hitting a great 30 footer in your own house, around the bed post, down the stairs, off the hallway closet door, into the living room...... its tracking.... its tracking..... then with 6 inches to go a grey blur goes flying by and your cat's got your ball in his paws.
*sigh* stupid cat. :nono:

My biggest tip for practicing putting indoors is don't use a hole...yep, thats right. I place down a small coin like a 5p (no idea what a similar size would be for the US). Then if I'm hitting that I know my stroke is consistant. Obviously, you get used to "the break" in your carpet because you'll generally putt along the same line so making the target smaller you can make sure the stroke is nice.

Now if only I could find a way to improve my driving accuracy using a similar method :banghead:

Dont do it. Save some cash and get a big murph or something similar or build one. $150 for that seems ridiculous.

Agree with JB. If you are going to spend that much, you might as well get something good. If you want to go cheap, just get some utility carpet or astro-turf. By the way, I would be very careful chipping indoors (from experience lol).

Dont do it. Save some cash and get a big murph or something similar or build one. $150 for that seems ridiculous.
How much does a big murph run for the standard size, just need something for 10' putts and maybe 3-5' wide.

Agree with JB. If you are going to spend that much, you might as well get something good. If you want to go cheap, just get some utility carpet or astro-turf. By the way, I would be very careful chipping indoors (from experience lol).

lol I could see me trying to get creative with a chip and blading it into a wall or hitting on to hard through a window.

How much does a big murph run for the standard size, just need something for 10' putts and maybe 3-5' wide.

lol I could see me trying to get creative with a chip and blading it into a wall or hitting on to hard through a window.

THe Little Murph which is 10 feet long costs $289. And it is VERY GOOD. You can read our review on it on the home page. It runs just over 10 on the stimp and you can create breaks.

THe Little Murph which is 10 feet long costs $289. And it is VERY GOOD. You can read our review on it on the home page. It runs just over 10 on the stimp and you can create breaks.

Alright thanks, looking at them right now. You have the tour links in your house right?

Awesome! Well I might just buy the original $40 one to hold me over for now, then when Christmas rolls around pick up a real nice one. I usually dont ask for much during Christmas and my birthday isnt far after that so this could be a Christmas/birthday present haha

I really want one thats a little elevated off the ground like that tour links so maybe I can find a good deal on a similar style by then.

Well just bought the one that has the picture in the first post for 40 bucks. Read a lot of reviews on it and it seems to do it's purpose and exactly what I'm looking for, for the time being. It's better than putting on carpet into a cup. I will let everyone know when I get it and how it works.

It's called a Pro Active par 3 putting green for people interested. Its just a green for your office or something for your home to mess around/practice on. 3'x9' is the size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back