Judging a bag by its contents & a book by its cover

If you're really struggling, quit on the 3w which is tough to hit off the deck and maybe focus on a wedge or short iron? Shorter club, easier to swing, easier to get the ball in the air.
Its like buying a book, you can't judge by whats on the outside, but rather how people play...I have a brand new set of clubs, a new driver, a new fairway wood and I can't hit it at all. My irons I struggle with, but I'm in a slump right now, just focusing in on the 3 wood :angry:

I guess I'm more about the clothes than anything else, and having nice clubs helps too :wink: I'm def. done buying shoes. I have 7 pairs of shoes now and 5 pairs of adidas golf shoes :nono:

OK, so how would one dress to represent a municipal golf course?

Is there a line of "Taxpayer Chic" golfwear available?

-JP

Even walmart sells collard shirts these days, no excuse for someone looking like they are hunting playing golf. But if it's a muni there is little you can do other than clean up the beer cans at each hole. Our CC is open to the public and to be honest that is what keeps us in business but the members make sure people playing the course follow the rules for the most part. I hope that one day we can go semi private but in today's economy that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

OK, so how would one dress to represent a municipal golf course?

Is there a line of "Taxpayer Chic" golfwear available?

-JP

i think it's pretty small mindedness to assume that all municipals are full of beer swilling/jean short wearing golfers. the municipal course around here (two of them for that matter) have a strict dress code and if you are wearing something that's not permitted, you don't play. again, another one of your comments seems to be geographically based.

Even walmart sells collard shirts these days, no excuse for someone looking like they are hunting playing golf. But if it's a muni there is little you can do other than clean up the beer cans at each hole. Our CC is open to the public and to be honest that is what keeps us in business but the members make sure people playing the course follow the rules for the most part. I hope that one day we can go semi private but in today's economy that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

What about Boo Weekley? lol

i must say that the past couple of pages here are just going in circles. this is what happens when grown men (and women), with their opinions, sit in the confines of their home and "debate" over the interweb.....it's painful to read actually. what has any of this proved? bpipe, bridges, thainer will wear their cargos. JB, esox, rxgus will not wear them.

i really don't understand how not wearing cargos or denim makes one a snob.

Hey just so this is clear, I did not call anyone a snob for the clothes they wear, just said I wear cargo shorts. Just wanted to make that clear lol

Let's see, there are four County-operated courses here where I live and I've played them all many times and I don't recall ever tripping over beer cans or running into too many people who don't "follow the rules".

There is a 'collared shirt' requirement, but that's it. Denim, shorts, cargo's and all that stuff are no problem. The courses are well cared for, the golfers are nice folks who love the game and the courses themselves are challenging and some even have a fair amount of golf history tied to their origins.

Then of course there's 'Mecca', which is home to the Black Course and four other state-operated tracks where only a collared shirt is required and I recall playing in jeans there for years. The people there are pretty nice too and they follow the rules just like the ones on the county courses.

And I never tripped over any beer cans there either!

-JP

Let's see, there are four County-operated courses here where I live and I've played them all many times and I don't recall ever tripping over beer cans or running into too many people who don't "follow the rules".

There is a 'collared shirt' requirement, but that's it. Denim, shorts, cargo's and all that stuff are no problem. The courses are well cared for, the golfers are nice folks who love the game and the courses themselves are challenging and some even have a fair amount of golf history tied to their origins.

Then of course there's 'Mecca', which is home to the Black Course and four other state-operated tracks where only a collared shirt is required and I recall playing in jeans there for years. The people there are pretty nice too and they follow the rules just like the ones on the county courses.

And I never tripped over any beer cans there either!

-JP

Well then I guess you would wear Jeans and a collard shirt to represent a muni if they played in a state league.

Reactions: TC
Boo's outfits fit his personality.

Well what if they guy you see has one of those heat gear under Armour camo shirts on at the course? You said they should never look like there hunting but what if the camo shirt fits there personality?

Not trying to start anything at all and not trying to be a jerk just asking and carrying on a conversation so dont think im being an @ss lol

Well what if they guy you see has one of those heat gear under Armour camo shirts on at the course? You said they should never look like there hunting but what if the camo shirt fits there personality?

Not trying to start anything at all and not trying to be a jerk just asking and carrying on a conversation so dont think im being an @ss lol

Then he is wearing acceptable athletic gear allowed on the course I guess. There are so many different opinions about what is acceptable and what is not so I guess we should be glad that people don't have to wear suits to play golf anymore. I just find myself not ever wanting to argue with someone who is just stupid, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience everytime. If someone is so set on what they think is right then let them as long as they don't try to force their ignorance on me then I'm ok with them being the one looking like a total idiot.

I can equate it to alot of the older guys who play golf at our country club. They will argue with you til they die that having clubs fit for your game is a waste of time and money. When anyone with an IQ of 2 can see the importance of it, so I don't bother trying to convince them that just because they are older doesn't mean they know what in the hell they are talking about. I find that as people age they think they are somehow smarter than other people when in reality if you were always dumb you usually stay that way but with just a little more ignorance to share.

Then he is wearing acceptable athletic gear allowed on the course I guess. There are so many different opinions about what is acceptable and what is not so I guess we should be glad that people don't have to wear suits to play golf anymore. I just find myself not ever wanting to argue with someone who is just stupid, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience everytime. If someone is so set on what they think is right then let them as long as they don't try to force their ignorance on me then I'm ok with them being the one looking like a total idiot.

Are you calling me stupid or saying arguing with someone at the course about what clothes they wear?

To be honest I really don't care what anyone wears and I don't pay attention to what anyone wears if the course allows it then I'm cool with it. You can wear a camo collared shirt or you can wear JL's pink and red flower shirt just don't tell me you think it's pretty when we are playing and we will be alright lol Wear the clothes you want to wear and if it's ok with course who cares what anyone thinks about it. Just my opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you calling me stupid or saying arguing with someone at the course about what clothes they wear?

To be honest I really don't care what anyone wears and I don't pay attention to what anyone wears if the course allows it then I'm cool with it. You can wear a camo collared shirt or you can wear JL's pink and red flower shirt just don't tell me you think it's pretty when we are playing and we will be alright lol Wear the clothes you want to wear and if it's ok with course who cares what anyone thinks about it. Just my opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, nothing I said is directed at you. I'm saying people who like to argue about things that are purely opinion, like what you should wear or how your skill level dictates what clubs you should use etc etc. I agree and I said it before, I dress the way I do because it's how I like to dress. What you wear is totally up to you as well but if you show up wearing a pink flowered hat and expect people not to laugh then you should probably stay home. You see my point?

I'm in the 'dress for the course' camp, I think. Too many munis round my way have been ruined by people with no respect for the game, 6 clubs and a 6 pack, paying no heed to the course. Introducing a dress code (however strict or relaxed you like) is just another measure to deter these people.

It's difficult to argue for a dress code without coming across as stuffy and old fashioned to some, but it can be used as a rule to ensure that the folks turning up are there to play golf. There are exceptions to every rule, but I don't really see why someome keen on the game would object to putting a collared shirt on to play.

No, nothing I said is directed at you. I'm saying people who like to argue about things that are purely opinion, like what you should wear or how your skill level dictates what clubs you should use etc etc. I agree and I said it before, I dress the way I do because it's how I like to dress. What you wear is totally up to you as well but if you show up wearing a pink flowered hat and expect people not to laugh then you should probably stay home. You see my point?

ya I see what you mean.

Tweeds all year round for me although we are allowed to remove our jackets after noon and a quick nip of sherry in the summer months if the Captain allows. I am in no way a snob, I just refuse to travel to the course in the same car as my chauffeur.

I once met two friends to play and they brought a fourth whom I didn't know very well. He had the full set of Sasquatch irons, the Sasquatch driver and three wood, and even a Sasquatch putter. I commented that I didn't even know they made a Sasquatch putter, to which he replied, "Yeah, I putt like a Sasquatch." So maybe he already knew what his matching set had me wondering.

i think it's pretty small mindedness to assume that all municipals are full of beer swilling/jean short wearing golfers. the municipal course around here (two of them for that matter) have a strict dress code and if you are wearing something that's not permitted, you don't play. again, another one of your comments seems to be geographically based.

?????????

-JP

?????????

-JP

why the questions? you said that at your muni's that denim is acceptable, whereas around here it is not. it's geographically based i suppose.

why the questions? you said that at your muni's that denim is acceptable, whereas around here it is not. it's geographically based i suppose.

Because I was referring to this response where you wrote:

I'd just like to know where it was that I wrote anything about muni's being full of beer swilling/jean short wearing golfers.

-JP

Because I was referring to this response where you wrote:

I'd just like to know where it was that I wrote anything about muni's being full of beer swilling/jean short wearing golfers.

-JP

here's your quote:

Denim, shorts, cargo's and all that stuff are no problem.

you are correct, you said nothing about beer swilling, but you seem to be fine with denim. all i said was that around here, denim doesn't fly, even on the municipal courses. to me, anyone in denim i would much assume to be "non serious" on the golf course, even if they were walking.

here's your quote:

you are correct, you said nothing about beer swilling, but you seem to be fine with denim. all i said was that around here, denim doesn't fly, even on the municipal courses. to me, anyone in denim i would much assume to be "non serious" on the golf course, even if they were walking.

Thank you.

And being a walker (which as we all now know makes me serious by default) I actually stopped wearing denim a while back because it became uncomfortable (or more accurately, I became too big to properly fit into the pants). So I started wearing "Golf Slacks" which I find infinitely more comfortable (thank God for elastic waistbands) and much cooler than jeans.

I also find them (along with the mandatory collared shirt) to be more "golf-like" and that makes me feel more like a "real golfer" and as such I can walk with more authority which in turn makes me even more serious than I was in the past. :thumb:

-JP

now you're taking the piss out of me and i find that to be condescending and annoying. you just can't help but let that elitist attitude pour out of you can you? let me ask you a question: when's the last time you actually played golf? you certainly don't mind throwing all of your opinions, and infinite wisdom all over the place, but when's the last time you actually played? see, i don't think that you even play golf.

tc...to be fair I am pretty sure he's taking the piss out of himself more than anything.

Cargo shorts are fine...if you are shifting errrrmmm.....cargo

now you're taking the piss out of me and i find that to be condescending and annoying. you just can't help but let that elitist attitude pour out of you can you? let me ask you a question: when's the last time you actually played golf? you certainly don't mind throwing all of your opinions, and infinite wisdom all over the place, but when's the last time you actually played? see, i don't think that you even play golf.

Elitist?
Condescending?

I don't know if it's that I'm not coming across the way I think I am or you're just not understanding what I'm saying but I'm joking with you, don't you realize that?
I'm having some fun with the "serious" thing that started a while back.

Jeez! You gotta lighten up man, or you're gonna give yourself a heart attack.

As far as opinions go, I have them but so does everyone else.

So what?

In fact, 99% of what's written on forums like this IS someone's opinion.
I don't expect everyone to agree with me just like I don't always agree with everything people say to me, but I don't get all jammed up over it and I sure as hell don't hold it against anyone -- it's an opinion, so what's the big deal?

I don't understand why you and others here take everything I say so personally or that you think I'm taking shots at you because I'm not. I have a sarcastic sense of humor and maybe that doesn't translate as well as I think it does, but that's all it is is humor.

And if you think I'm some kind of elitist, man have you got the wrong guy for that! Condescending? Sometimes I am, I'll admit that but most of the time I think that's more about my sarcasm being read the wrong way (or my not making it clear) than anything else.

But other than that, I'm probably the most "Live and let live" person you'll ever meet. I just love to argue about stuff because I like to find out why people think as they do but as I've said before, it's always about the subject, not the person.

If someone takes it personally, all I can say is that that's not how it was intended.

-JP

I don't know if it's that I'm not coming across the way I think I am or you're just not understanding what I'm saying but I'm joking with you, don't you realize that?

Jeez! You gotta lighten up man, or you're gonna give yourself a heart attack.

Maybe. Just maybe.

Since this seems to be a growing trend with your posts, it has everything to do with how your points come across.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but when it is the same person getting attacked for their thoughts, one has to wonder why. So on a long flight back to FL, I went back and read a whole lot of them. Here is MY OPINION. Your posts come across as condescending and from a pedestal looking down on the rest. Constant flip flops to make a point. Good info takes a backseat to a holier than thou attitude that I am sure you are not trying to portray, but when so many people seem to see it, it cannot be people just missing the point, but perhaps the point being hard to determine or changing.

Not too long ago (on 3 or more different occasions) you were sent away from THP. What I got was long well written apologies each time (daily) saying how much you liked it here, you enjoyed the people here, that you actually realized that YOU were making mistakes, etc...And each time we allowed you to come back and post again. Yet after just a few weeks, the same stuff started again.

Its time to just move on from all of that. It can't be every single person not understanding your point of view, or maybe just that the point of view is so clouded that it is not understandable. Maybe you should check out the emails you sent to this site a while back and go back to the guy that had some solid info.

Back