Judging a bag by its contents & a book by its cover

I am going to take a risk here and try to make a comparison.

JB if this is off color please feel free to remove.

Think of it this way, when you see a woman (beautiful woman) out to dinner at your local family restaurant and she is dressed to kill. Tight everywhere, low cut and reveling everywhere, tall heels, great hair and makeup. When eating with your family and she walks by, tell me you don't look and think what the heck is she doing here and why the hell is she dressed like that?

That is the extent of my "looking down" on someone who is over dressed at a course.

Don't forget when I started this mess, it was taking a person who can not hit it past the ladies tee's yet has gone out of the way to "dress loud".

So if not greatly skilled, a golfer should "dress quiet"?

Kevin

I'm going shopping tomorrow. I want "The Look" when I pull into Florida!

edit: you guy's can send Esox a picture of me in pastels!

It's OK duey-I have made no secret that I have an outfit for the outing designed purely to get looks and be unique. Wear it on saturday for the championship course and we can be outcasts together

As a starter a couple of years ago at a little muni I saw this all the time. Pairing up twosomes who were dressed on opposite ends of the spectrum of the dress code. People felt the need to show up decked in JL and were appalled when people just wore regular khakis and polos. No one would judge people for wearing golf appropriate clothing on a golf course. But different levels of clothing have different levels of appropriateness. Its like the rich kid at school who wears labels to stick out. It happens all the time and we have all seen it.

Again I ask, did the people in the high end clothing come out and say they were appalled. Did they request to not be paired with those people? I just don't see how someone can assume a person wearing expensive clothes is looking down at someone? What were their actions?

It is the attitude not the clothes GG. You know by the look the give and the attitude they show. Does not have to happen on a golf course, it happens everywhere in the world, peple pre-judge and sterotype all the time. This is a golf forum so the area of discussion is golf courses.

Thank you

When did I ever say someone shouldnt wear GOLF CLOTHES on a GOLF COURSE?

DO you see that response next to your quote? It was a response to someone elses reply.

I'm a terrible golfer. Am I wrong for enjoying my fancy clothes and colors?

The "snobby" thing can be combo of dress and body language. I am only 10 years into dealing the public and businesses in a sales environment, but after a while you develop a stronger sense of reading someone. Guys who have done this much longer than I can read people unbelievably well, and quickly too. Or I could just be completely jaded. lol

It's OK duey-I have made no secret that I have an outfit for the outing designed purely to get looks and be unique. Wear it on saturday for the championship course and we can be outcasts together

Gus and I, kind of has a ring of $$$$, lol.

Again I ask, did the people in the high end clothing come out and say they were appalled. Did they request to not be paired with those people? I just don't see how someone can assume a person wearing expensive clothes is looking down at someone? What were their actions?
Yes they were appalled. Always. and the other twosome who were in the dress code wearing nice [but not clearly logo'd or name branded stuff] were embarrassed. It is very easy to create relationships with people working as a starter and you learn many types of people.

I feel this goes along with the stuffiness of the game that keeps some away from trying to pick it up

GG, those are fair questions.

Kevin

GG i think you are reading too much into the comments about the clothe and the attitude but that is just my opinion

The "snobby" thing can be combo of dress and body language. I am only 10 years into dealing the public and businesses in a sales environment, but after a while you develop a stronger sense of reading someone. Guys who have done this much longer than I can read people unbelievably well, and quickly too. Or I could just be completely jaded. lol

That is true and has nothing to do with attire and everything to do with personality.

What if a person had Rock and Republic jeans on? Or any other pair of $250 jeans. Would that be snobby attire for a golf course? Or would that be muni apparel?

It is the attitude not the clothes GG. You know by the look the give and the attitude they show. Does not have to happen on a golf course, it happens everywhere in the world, peple pre-judge and sterotype all the time. This is a golf forum so the area of discussion is golf courses.

But can't this go both ways? Can't the person not wearing the designer clothes be looking down at the person wearing designer clothes? Maybe I just don't let those looks get to me. I grew up in a pretty wealthy area and I was by far the poorest kid in the school. I never once thought other people looked down on me because my clothes were not designer brands. Or because my car wasn't a Mercedez or BMW. I know there are people who have money who think they are better than other people because they have money, but if you let that bother you then it's an insecurity that is within. I guess, unless someone flat out says something, I don't see how someone can assume that person is looking down at them.

i have been in sales for over 20 years and yes this is true

Yes. Get some jeans and cargo shorts until your game improves. Especially if you play a muni.

Kevin

Yes they were appalled. Always. and the other twosome who were in the dress code wearing nice [but not clearly logo'd or name branded stuff] were embarrassed. It is very easy to create relationships with people working as a starter and you learn many types of people.

I feel this goes along with the stuffiness of the game that keeps some away from trying to pick it up
Then they were definitely in the wrong. But that in no way makes everyone who dresses like that the same way.

How about dress acordingly.

According to their skill level? Is there a clothing scale by handicap? Where does one find that? Are the racks in stores labeled?

Kevin

That is true and has nothing to do with attire and everything to do with personality.

In my experiance, guys who have this type of personality tend to dress as I am discribing. NOTE I am not saying everyone who does dress this way, is a snob, but a greater margin of snobbs dress this way.

Absolutely not. As long as you are within the guidelines of the rules than, no, you aren't wrong. Nor would I think your outfit, having labels, would make you better than me, or make me think you think you are better than me. If you laughed at my clothes, made rude comments to me, or something like that then yes I would think you are a snob, but if you are nice and are enjoying your time on the course just like I am then it's all good with me.

Yes. Get some jeans and cargo shorts until your game improves. Especially if you play a muni.

Kevin

Hey I wear cargo shorts, dont make fun of me lol

I guess this could go under I wear cargo shorts and ride in a cart, im not a serious golfer theory.

Kevin
Then my friends wouldn't be able to come back and find me after they drop me off in the woods to look for my ball.

In my experiance, guys who have this type of personality tend to dress as I am discribing. NOTE I am not saying everyone who does dress this way, is a snob, but a greater margin of snobbs dress this way.

All I can say to this is Wow. Because in reality, you are doing the exact same thing that you are condemning them for.

According to their skill level? Is there a clothing scale by handicap? Where does one find that? Are the racks in stores labeled?

Kevin

To the course being played. If you are going to play pebble you better look damn good, if you are going to play a goat pasture you better bring your snake boots.

Your are good at the spin Mr. Esox.

Back