Judging a bag by its contents & a book by its cover

As long as someone is good company, treats the course and others with respect and doesn't violate the "Prime Directive", I wouldn't care if they showed up with a bag full of hockey sticks and garden implements.

It's just a game.

-JP

As long as someone is good company, treats the course and others with respect and doesn't violate the "Prime Directive", I wouldn't care if they showed up with a bag full of hockey sticks and garden implements.

It's just a game.

-JP

Might hurt pace of play though.. haha!

Played a round recently with a friend of a friend and he literally had wood woods, irons that were as old as I was and a putter that resembled a hunk of lead that had been beaten with a ball peen hammer. He hit the crap out of them, shot 7 over.

About the 6th hole I had to ask him and he replied he buys them at garage sales, estate sales, etc. loves the game and the retro/nostalgic equipment was part of what he liked best about the game in that he could still play a respectable round without the latest and greatest technology. Cool guy and a fun round.

Which only goes to prove that it's the Indian, not the arrows.

-JP

Well that would be covered under: "Prime Directive". :D

-JP

JP, love the term, makes a lot of sense. I had a guy let me play through this weekend and he was more than kind about it, but then I got to another group and they were just rude and mean, it's always nice to run into people who have respect for the game and follow that "Prime Directive" I feel a need to change my avatar now!!!

JP, love the term, makes a lot of sense. I had a guy let me play through this weekend and he was more than kind about it, but then I got to another group and they were just rude and mean, it's always nice to run into people who have respect for the game and follow that "Prime Directive" I feel a need to change my avatar now!!!

Here's my definition of the term:

Prime Directive:
Playing a round of golf with a tempo and degree of detail with which one is comfortable and doing so in a way that does not inconvenience others.

-JP

I always look at another player's bag, but I try not to judge. If I do feel the need to judge, I try to sneak a good look at the wedges.

One question that might seem to at least be relevant in a discussion of what is in the bag is the pace of golf hardware technology. Do we think that the pace will be as brisk during the next ten years as it has been for the last ten? I wonder if we might get to a point of diminishing return at least as it relates to distance. In addition, it is not a wide open playing field. We have golf’s governing bodies making decisions about equipment and whether or not an advance really changes the game in a meaningful way. As such there will always be that boundary acting as something of a governor on technological advances.

One question that might seem to at least be relevant in a discussion of what is in the bag is the pace of golf hardware technology. Do we think that the pace will be as brisk during the next ten years as it has been for the last ten? I wonder if we might get to a point of diminishing return at least as it relates to distance. In addition, it is not a wide open playing field. We have golf’s governing bodies making decisions about equipment and whether or not an advance really changes the game in a meaningful way. As such there will always be that boundary acting as something of a governor on technological advances.

Well how many times can you reinvent the wheel?

In my opinion, most of what passes for "advancements in technology" are just cleverly marketed cosmetics. I know that there will be the usual chorus of boos over that statement but really, just how far can the golf club be taken?

It's like the toothbrush.

The toothbrush in it's practical form was created over 4,000 years ago yet to this day there is always some ad proclaiming a "new and improved" version. Has the toothbrush really improved all that much or has the marketing just been so good that we believe it has?

There have certainly been a handful of what could be called "significant" improvements in golf technology over the years, but no matter how you look at it a golf club is still basically a just crooked stick and there's only so much that can be done with it before redundancy sets in.

-JP

Reactions: JB
Here's a guy's bag I played with several weeks ago. Not a bad player at all. Yes... those are old socks on his woods:

IMG005191.jpg

Here's a guy's bag I played with several weeks ago. Not a bad player at all. Yes... those are old socks on his woods:

IMG005191.jpg

Dang DooDue!!! It looks like he let the family dog play with the headcover on the right :hungry:

Dang DooDue!!! It looks like he let the family dog play with the headcover on the right :hungry:

Get the man a THP head cover!

Lol, Gray you crack me up. He might have, he didn't even mention them. I seen them and asked about 'em, he say's "Some one suggested I should get new socks for my woods, so I did", haha.

I dont really judge anyone I play against unless they talk alot of bs and then go out and shot like poop. I will check out others bags just to see what their gaming. its always cool to see what others are playing and their thoughts on them

I literally do pop in there once a week!

Hey _JL_,
My pants and shirt size, along with my mailing address are in your PM inbox!

I don't really care much about what is in someones bag. I will get more amusement from the guy dressed like a tour player.

I don't really care much about what is in someones bag. I will get more amusement from the guy dressed like a tour player.

How does one dress like a tour player? Meaning name brand apparel? Shirt tucked in? Im confused

To me, dressing well is as much about respecting the game as playing with proper ettique. Why would you judge someone who dresses well regardless of how they play? Would you judge a hacker who made sure not to step in your target line and was conscious of where his shadow was on the greens?

To me, dressing well is as much about respecting the game as playing with proper ettique. Why would you judge someone who dresses well regardless of how they play? Would you judge a hacker who made sure not to step in your target line and was conscious of where his shadow was on the greens?

+1. I seldom wear the bright colors, but those who do sure look good. Bringing a little class to the course should not be a bad thing.

I forgot the last part of that. ... and can not hit it past the womens tees.

But to answer your question, I am a very simple guy, I dress as the occasion requires. However I don't go out of my way to piss a large quantity of money away on the latest and greatest fashions. It amuses me when someone has a $300.00 outfit on to play the "twilight special" for $22.00 that I often take advantage of.
Not to mention the new "look at me" pastel colors that are currently popular make my stomach churn.

To me guys in those type of clothes add to that "stuffy" "snobby" image from that poll you spoke of in the rules thread.

But that's just me.

I forgot the last part of that. ... and can not hit it past the womens tees.

But to answer your question, I am a very simple guy, I dress as the occasion requires. However I don't go out of my way to piss a large quantity of money away on the latest and greatest fashions. It amuses me when someone has a $300.00 outfit on to play the "twilight special" for $22.00 that I often take advantage off.
Not to mention the new "look at me" pastel colors that are currently popular make my stomach churn.

To me guys in those type of clothes add to that "stuffy" "snobby" image from that poll you spoke of in the rules thread.

But that's just me.

Dressing nice does not have to be expensive.

But I have to disagree about the bold colors. I think that goes against stuffy in every aspect of the game.

Some might look down on someone playing hte latest clubs that is playing that same $22 special.

In my personal experience a "hacker" in most cases will be more fun to play with that the over-serious overdressed guy.

But again that is just what I have personally experienced.

This thread is about judging right? I just happen to judge on apparel vs equipment. :)

Dressing nice does not have to be expensive.

But I have to disagree about the bold colors. I think that goes against stuffy in every aspect of the game.

Some might look down on someone playing hte latest clubs that is playing that same $22 special.

True, but I am out there to golf, not put on a fashion show. I do realize that someone has to like those colors, if not they would not be popular, they are just not my thing.

True, but I am out there to golf, not put on a fashion show.

And I dont think anybody expects that. Nobody has said they look down at someone for not wearing proper attire for the most part.

It seems that only people "saying" they are looking down on people is because some like to wear nice apparel.

Back