Judging a bag by its contents & a book by its cover

I wonder what people think when they see my bag...

That you have really old clubs lol

But honestly what does it matter? who cares if they think you suck or they think your good, its not like its going to effect your score.

alot of people ive met who have golf bags that some would be 'embarassed' of, are the people who have the most passion and respect for the game.

alot of people ive met who have golf bags that some would be 'embarassed' of, are the people who have the most passion and respect for the game.

Yeah, like the guy with the Lynxs that have a small rustspot dead in the center of the sweet spot.

I just like to look at what people have in their bag b/c I'm a gear junkie. I don't judge anybody based on gear or clothes and could really care less if they play good using them.

I always love to see what other people play and wear. Since joining THP I've really found myself checking out others' gear and threads and able to recognize brands that aren't necessarily mainstream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I learned a long time ago not to judge a book by it's cover. However, occasionally I've run across that guy who has $3000+ in swag, everything brand new, and zero game. It is usually the same guy who can't figure out what's wrong with his game today (played great yesterday), and blames everything on his new clubs...lol
Most of the time, I do find that the golfer who dresses well....plays well! These players are confident with WITB, their swing,the results they get and generally never make excuses. Since they have had their bag 'set up' for some time they may have a few extra c-notes at their disposal....let's say for some discressionary swag spending:wink:

I just like to look at what people have in their bag b/c I'm a gear junkie. I don't judge anybody based on gear or clothes and could really care less if they play good using them.

This. I'm such a gear junkie that I will trade in irons that I hit great for the newest crush I have. Heck I've changed irons after one round because I didn't like the way they looked in the bag on the course. That has changed since I don't have the cash anymore. But I do always look to see what's in the other persons bag but I definitely do not judge them

More than the clubs, I think the condition of the clubs say a lot about the golfer. When I see clubs that haven't been cleaned, with layers of grass, or driving range bilge on the soles, and wood crowns all dinged up, I do make judgements about the golfer's ability. Usually I'm proven right.

As far as dress goes, I can picture some of the younger golfers on tour showing up to play on off days, looking like they just woke up and threw on whatever was around. So I wouldn't judge skill by golf attire. JMHO of course.

I dont own any 'golf' clothes, this sport is expensive enough before that crap. Clothes are clothes.

Wal-Mart has some nice moisture-wicking golf polos right now for only $12 that I bought a few of. Also frequent the clearance racks of Dick's and other golf shops. Most expensive golf shirt I own is a nice Cleveland Golf polo found on the clearance rack for only $20.

Like I've posted before, it's one of the advantages of being a guy. Our styles evolve slower so even if you buy a shirt on clearance, it's still likely to be in style for the next 5 years.

That's exactly the way I am. You don't need to spend a lot of money to look very good on the golf course.

EDIT: I'll add that it helps that I have a local thrift shop that gets lots of stock from (I don't know where), but I've seen brands like Quagmire, Lacoste, and Travis Matthew there all brand new w/ tags, and all for right around $5 per item.

Man you have a thrift store with TM clothing? That is sweet. I'd be popping in there once a week.

This thread cracks me up cause I guess I am in the minority. Nothing cracks me up more than a guy who shows up in a 400$ outfit (Or one trying to look like a 400$ outfit) and can't play worth a lick. I guess its all just priorities. If you suck might as well look good doing it? I dunno I would rather take the money and buy some lessons but thats just me.

I am not a fantastic golfer- and I have my days where I play like an absolute hack. BUT... I always try to look nice when I am on the course. My theory being that while I may or may not be able to control my golf game any given day, I AM able to show the sport respect by the way I dress myself.

It is important to note that MOST of my nice golf clothing was purchased because it doubles as work clothing (dress pants) or it has some sort of personal meaning for me (nice polo's from my alma mater, etc). I don't have clothing that is specific for golf... just clothing that I happen to also wear golfing.

I was playing as a single not long ago, and the guys in front of me had bags packed with the latest and greatest... Cameron, Titletst, Daphnes headcovers, etc. ... All new...

Well, I caught up to them on 14, and they were spraying the ball all over the place... On 16, I got to the tee box as they were teeing off... Guy 1 puts 3 in the woods, guy 2 gets up, puts 2 in the woods... goes over to his bag, digs around, and says... "I'm out, I went through the whole dozen", guy 1 goes over to his bag and says "me too"... they get in their cart and drive back to the clubhouse... Then I noticed they were both wearing cross trainers... Should have known...

Probably Syracuse University students that wanted to take up golf and went to Golf Galaxy and asked for the best to buy with Daddy's money...

After that, I stopped judging... I never say a word until I see a swing...

I think there are just too many different perspectives on gear to make any judgments from what is in the bag or even what is on the back. Some people intend changing clubs often, others intend keeping their clubs for a long time and that is just one aspect of what might go into someone’s buying tendencies. I do think keeping your gear in good condition says something.

I don't think it's the worst practice... With the way golf is progressing, it's not hard to discern the style of player based on their clubs, although even that is hit or miss based on a lot of golfers egos (see: scratch golfer ratio on most websites)...

If I see a guy dressed the part and using blades, I can assume he's a pretty solid golfer. If I see a guy with SGIs, it's pretty safe to say they are just getting into the sport or are learning as they go. I did have a good laugh thinking about what people would think looking into some of our THPers bags. talk about brand variety!

I don't care what people play, but if I get paired up with someone, I usually scope out their bag to see what they're using. I've seen guys with top of line stuff that they can't hit, and I've seen people with old clubs that are really good. So I don't judge by whats in the bag, but I always check:act-up:

"Never gamble with a man with old clubs but with fresh grips."
Heard it before but had to learn it the hard way.

If I see a guy with SGIs, it's pretty safe to say they are just getting into the sport or are learning as they go.

I would love to do some gambling with you on the course...Me testing my SGI's that is...hehe. I kid of course.

I would love to do some gambling with you on the course...Me testing my SGI's that is...hehe. I kid of course.

haha you were one of the main people I was thinking of when I considered saying that.... I think after seeing a staff bag with basically all brand new equipment and "The Hackers Paradise" on the side, someone like you'd be a quick rule out and a 'uhhh.... what do YOU do?" question!

I also think a bit of wear is a pre-requisite to my opinion as well...

I love to see what gear people have. I was playing a single a few weeks back and caught up with a father/son combo. The dad had some old school Callaway forged (or cavity back really hard to tell) and he was very good. Odd looking swing but always the same. Like a lot of people I try not to judge. You just never know.

It's very hard not too though. To counteract the judging, I always assume whoever I'm playing with is better than me lol. Usually loosens things up and I play better.

I hardly ever purchase my golf polo's at full price. For my last spree (all for the outing lol) I had a $50 off coupon and $35 in gift cards. That was one of the few times I paided full sticker price but it was because I had coupons. I love to bargain shop. You can find a lot of awesome gear on the clearance racks. I have been trying to find a thrift store though!!!

*judges everybody*

Played a round recently with a friend of a friend and he literally had wood woods, irons that were as old as I was and a putter that resembled a hunk of lead that had been beaten with a ball peen hammer. He hit the crap out of them, shot 7 over.

About the 6th hole I had to ask him and he replied he buys them at garage sales, estate sales, etc. loves the game and the retro/nostalgic equipment was part of what he liked best about the game in that he could still play a respectable round without the latest and greatest technology. Cool guy and a fun round.

I played in a scramble with a few guys last week and the best of the three had a whole bag full of older wilson equipment, but he could hit the heck out of the ball. I have to say I did have some thoughts by just seeing his equipment, but I think by the end of the round I had him convinced to look into some new equipment. I bet he kills the ball if he upgrades equipment.

What about putters? I think a lot of the good putters around pro and average joes seem to have older models that they've fallen in love with and used for years. I suck at putting so I'm always changing.

Back