Would you buy a house with a bad history?

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
http://realestate.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=23504393&page=0

Here's the first part of the story:

Homes with sordid pasts: Creepy, but great bargains
Murder. Suicide. Homes with dark histories can be difficult to sell and often suffer severe drops in value. Here’s how to learn whether a home has a sketchy past and how to mitigate the stigma if you own one.
By Marilyn Lewis of MSN Real Estate

Chris Butler had a list of “musts” when he went house shopping in 2005 in Summit County, Ohio, near his hometown of Cleveland.

“I had a pretty strict list,” he says. “I play rock ’n’ roll and I was tired of having the neighbors yell at me.” The house needed to have:

● Plenty of space to accommodate his band mates.

● Distance from neighbors, so he could make music without getting angry phone calls.

● Ground-level living quarters, in case his aging mom needed to move in.

It was a tall order in this part of Ohio, outside Akron, where the style is Ralph Lauren and the real-estate market is replete with two-story colonials, Butler recalls.

Imagine his happiness, then, when his agent showed him a stunning, 2,000-square foot split-level home atop a rocky hill on a two-acre lot deep in the woods near the town of Bath. The house was a stylish, well-built 1950s specimen, with a flat roof, wrap-around deck and expansive windows overlooking Cuyahoga Valley National Park. The price — $269,000 — seemed ridiculously low.

The other shoe dropped when Butler’s real-estate agent called. The seller’s agent had made an important disclosure: The house had been the childhood home of serial murderer Jeffrey Dahmer and it was there — in 1978, while Dahmer was in his late teens — that he had committed his first murder. Butler, a native of the region, knew that Dahmer had lived somewhere nearby. But the news that a homicide had happened in this house that he’d fallen in love with was a startling disappointment.

a7fa0a665c7145fda54d157a8a306142.jpg

Chris Butler purchased serial killer Jeffrey
Dahmer’s childhood home in Bath, Ohio, at a
deeply discounted price. Dahmer committed
his first murder there. // © Chris Butler

“My initial shock was, ‘I can’t do this,’” he says.

Then he looked at it differently: In a way — an offbeat way — the home’s bizarre and outcast persona resonated with his own. “After I got over it, it was like, ‘I can’t not do this.’ It fits my alternative lifestyle, my musician-artist nature,” he told himself.

He also understood a rule of thumb in the real-estate market: Homes that have a stigma are harder to sell. They spend more time on the market and, when they do sell, it’s usually at a discount. Some are never purchased and the owner must destroy them to recoup any of the value from the property. The sellers of Dahmer’s childhood home were at a disadvantage, Butler sensed, so he offered even less than the low asking price and purchased the house for $245,000.

. . . Back in Ohio, Chris Butler continues to enjoy his “unbelievably cool pad,” along with any ghosts and stigma still clinging to it. Some neighbors still won’t set foot inside. But Butler says he believes the home’s notoriety may be fading. Meanwhile, he hosts an annual Halloween bash and shares the tale of his home’s past.

I think I might, depending on what the history is. In fact we talked about this last night. My wife would not. I think you could get a heck of a deal on a lot of places if you could handle the bad part. And just be sure you aren't planning on the property value to go up much!

People have to be careful they aren't buying a former meth house these days! At least you have a pretty good idea of the house your getting if it's got a "history."

Not at all.

I wouldn't buy a house where someone had been murdered. I wouldn't want to live there.

I wouldn't buy a house where someone had been murdered. I wouldn't want to live there.

It doesn't have to be a murder. The history could be a number of things. The story focused on Jeffrey Dahmer, but that was just the example they used.

It depends on the history. That wouldn't bug me so much. But I remember in the town I grew up in, there were houses with medical issues. In one house, every family that lived there had a family member come down with Leukemia, for instance. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I wouldn't buy that house.

im not sure if i could or not. but i gotta say that is a pretty cool looking house

There is a house locally that isn't selling because someone was murdered there. It also doesn't help that there was a made for TV movie about the guy being murdered.

There's a company that keeps a data base of sales of stigmatized houses of all different kinds.

Mrs. Esox once had an appointment to inspect a house, and inadvertently went to the house that was two doors away as it too had a for sale sign in front. It was Dahmer's grandmother's house where he killed at least one person in the basement. She realized she was at the wrong house when the lock box didn't work.

Kevin

the house my brother bought had a suicide in it (the previous owner). but before it was sold, somebody ripped out all the flooring and walls where the blood seaped thru (shotgun suicide). everytime i walk into that room i think about it, but it doesnt really bother me. im not sure if a murder would have a different effect on me though. maybe it would

no, you just can't tempt karma

I'd have no issues at all, in fact the previous owner of my current house had a 3 yr old girl die here.

heres a big example of this

This house http://www.century21.com/realestatelistings/Jamestown-NY-14701-1205SMainSt-36157732

It never stays occupied for more than a few years at a time.

Heres it's back story: http://books.google.com/books?id=ZuKoSskEWyIC&pg=PA150&lpg=PA150&dq=hallett+murders+susan+hallet&source=web&ots=qJgLlmCfA-&sig=FQVV9lPjin9hHfF0bgDRHilNoDk&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false The Hallett Murders.

I have to say I would never live there, what happened is just way past the line of something Id think about everyday and never rest.

I think I would. But I would have to seriously be in the position to think about it more than i have now.

I hate violence and would avoid a house with that kind of history.

with the housing market the way it is i think you could get an even better bargain on houses with whacked histories... lol

It would depend for me. One house that I grew up near I definitely would have bought. It is the Amityville Horror house and it is a very nice house. Not sure I would buy a Dahmer house though. Couldn't be sure that some dead bodies wouldn't still be buried somewhere.

I don't think this would bother me much at all.
In my job, I live around death and am constantly surrounded by it- no room in a hospital is "death free". It is just something that I don't even think about anymore.

I realize there is a difference between a place where violence occurred and where 'natural' death happens but I don't think it would be enough to keep me from buying a nice house that I really liked otherwise.

I think resale value alone would deter me from buying something like that..

It would be fun to hang out in for a weekend though! Maybe Ghost Hunters can go through it for reassurance!

Heck to the no!

I think resale value alone would deter me from buying something like that..

It would be fun to hang out in for a weekend though! Maybe Ghost Hunters can go through it for reassurance!

Resale value is a good point, however, someone who buys these places are already buying below market value because of the history. You might never get what it is "worth" but over time you will possibly get more than you paid.

More of a horror is for those who bought a house right before the crash. Their resale value is out the window!

As a horror film afficionado, this is rule #2 of things to not do if you want to make your next birthday, between #3 Go camping with college friends, in couples, and #1 Go looking for something in nearby woods, at night.

Of course, as a natural skeptic, I know that bricks and mortar have nothing to do with anyone who has lived there before, so I'd probably buy it, but then want to sell after watching The Grudge (not the remake) at 11PM on a Friday night...

they couldnt give away the heavens gate mansion in rancho santa fe...
so the neighbors who were tired of all the freaks snooping around bought it and tore it down

Back