Safeway Classic, Aug 20-22

The worst part of this is that it was done because of viewer email. Crazy. I still think someone with her experience should know the rule and so should her caddy, but viewer email. Really?

Agree 100% but another golf rule that is totally worthless. I understand the premise of the rule (can't be using vision tracks, etc before every swing) but making someone wait 30 min on a tee box is assinine, and a weighted doughnut isn't going to affect anything.

The rules of golf need a serious overhaul.

found this from a Yahoo sports article...just shows this isn't the first time someone was dq'd because viewer called in...

In 1987, Craig Stadler was booted from a tournament after a viewer called to complain that Stadler's use of a towel to protect his knees while kneeling for a particularly awkward shot was an illegal construction of a stance; he'd finished second in the tournament but got nothing. And in 1991 at the Doral Ryder Open, a viewer ratted out Paul Azinger for moving a loose stone as he took a stance to hit a ball out of shallow water; moving loose impediments in a hazard is illegal, and Azinger got yanked from the tournament.

found this from a Yahoo sports article...just shows this isn't the first time someone was dq'd because viewer called in...

In 1987, Craig Stadler was booted from a tournament after a viewer called to complain that Stadler's use of a towel to protect his knees while kneeling for a particularly awkward shot was an illegal construction of a stance; he'd finished second in the tournament but got nothing. And in 1991 at the Doral Ryder Open, a viewer ratted out Paul Azinger for moving a loose stone as he took a stance to hit a ball out of shallow water; moving loose impediments in a hazard is illegal, and Azinger got yanked from the tournament.

I really don't see how a fricking towel can enhance your stance. It may keep your britches clean. Craig Stadler is heavy enough where I would think the towel would not give him much more support if any :confused2:... I agree that some of the rules are a bit overboard. Anyone here (JB) know how long the rules have been in existance? I realize everyone has to play the same rules, but geez!!!!!!!

Juli Inkster was disqualified from the LPGA Safeway Classic for using a weighted training aid on her club while waiting on the No. 10 hole
I'm sorry JB, but another dumb rule. Heck, at her age she was probably just stretching/working the muscles.

Great time today -

We arrived at about mid morning and stood at the 9th green watching players mostly avoid the water. A notable exception was MW whose drive was a decent length, but whose 2nd shot was wet. You know Mom and Dad as well as most fans cringed. Crowds gathered steadily and folks dispersed throughout the course. Most folks here seem very golf knowledgeable - remarking on good drives, good play. Some are a little less LPGA knowledgeable - I overheard one woman state that Ai and Mika were sisters. I couldn't let that go uncorrected. At about 11:30 I moved to the 10th tee box and watched groups tee off until we all scrambled for cover from a quick rain shower. I moved over the the practice area, wished Cristie well, then took a quick lesson from one of the teaching pros. After a quick lunch, I walked up to the 9th tee box where there was a delay. I turned to watch the play at the 8th green and saw Brittany L seated in a folding chair - hope she was okay. We all withstood another quick shower, then I moved to the 10th green where I could keep one eye on an electronic scoreboard, and the other watching each of the final twosomes come through. Later I joined Spouse at the 14th green and cheered on the good play from there. Finally we moved to greenside at the 18th where we could see the approaching players and the manual scoreboard. Tons of fans there, but plenty of room to see. It was fun to see Laura and Suzann birdie the hole with practically the same shots. Suzanne was clearly dissappointed with her play. We all applauded each of the players, and, of course hailed Ai as she completed a wonderful tournament. The trophy presentation was well done - short and sweet - lots of thanks to Safeway, presentation of a huge check to the diminutive Ai, and gracious remarks by her.

It was a great time and we look forward to coming back next year.

Thanks for all the reports Ricey! I enjoyed them all.

You're quite welcome. Attending or volunteering at events is very fun for me. I like to spread the fun. Reporting on them is not always easy to do - it takes a good memory (or a partner with a good memory :wink:), time and energy at the end of the day, a reliable internet connection, etc. Plus, we've made many friends that follow the LPGA, so we also budget time to have dinner with them to exchange stories and laughs. It's a great way to spend a few days.

We're off for a few days in Portland now, then home. Hope to do this again in October.

Back