Golf shoes for someone who does not like golf shoes.

bpipe95

The big stick rules!
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been putting this purchase off, as I don't like the look or the feel of most golf shoes.

BUT, this past weekend I had a couple of noticeable slips, so it may be time.

I have been wearing a pair of basic Nike sneakers that happen to be decently low. I do not like thick bottom shoes (girls yes, shoes no).

I kinda like the look of the Ecco shoes but have never had a chance to try them on or even have a local retailer for them. I have also taken a liking to the look of the kikkor golf shoes, but they look rather thick on the bottom. I also recently found the Puma Scrambles, they look rather promising. Does anyone own any these shoes or tried them on?

I must add I am not a fan of the traditional looking golf shoe, as I hate pointy toe shoes. Even the ones that try to look like a regular sneaker seem to get a pointy toe. ugh!

What do you guys suggest.

I did not think this was a fashion topic, but if I put this in the wrong forum please move.

Thanks,

Brad

Last edited:
Based on the fact that you are choosing based on looks, I would say its fashion...hehe

We have reviewed all the pairs you have discussed. The Kikkor shoes look neat, but I struggle with the comfort as the round progresses. The Puma Scrambles I have in black red and white. They are more comfortable than the Kikkors, but their sizing is very weird on these, so I would make sure you try them on.

I think since its about your choice in how something looks, I am struggling with coming up with some shoes to take a look at. I have not noticed the pointed toe so much of the sneaker style. Not anymore than my regular sneakers anyway. I also think my Ecco shoes that I have are just as pointy as my adidas Powerband 3.0s.

Question that may help, is it more the shape that bothers you or the saddle look?

JB, it is kind of both, the saddle look and the shape. For example I tried on some of then newer Adidas "sport" 4.0's and they looked all kinds strange on me. Then I tried on the tour 360 4.0 and LOVED the comfort but they felt heavy and I did not care for the looks to much. I found a somewhat local PUMA store, and will be going there later on today. The strange sizing thing does not surprise me at all, I have always found pumas to be bit off for me, some fit great, some not even close.

Thanks, I have been checking out the streets (and really like the looks) but I am having a hard time finding a dealer near me. When it come to shoes I have to try them on as I have an "extra" bone in my feet. I would love to try the streets but no dealer = no go for me.

Thanks guys!

Have you looked at the adidas golf shoes? They're more like sneakers, they look great and feel great too and are super duper comfy like sneakers :)

JB, it is kind of both, the saddle look and the shape. For example I tried on some of then newer Adidas "sport" 4.0's and they looked all kinds strange on me. Then I tried on the tour 360 4.0 and LOVED the comfort but they felt heavy and I did not care for the looks to much. I found a somewhat local PUMA store, and will be going there later on today. The strange sizing thing does not surprise me at all, I have always found pumas to be bit off for me, some fit great, some not even close.

Thanks, I have been checking out the streets (and really like the looks) but I am having a hard time finding a dealer near me. When it come to shoes I have to try them on as I have an "extra" bone in my feet. I would love to try the streets but no dealer = no go for me.

Thanks guys!

Have you looked at the adidas golf shoes? They're more like sneakers, they look great and feel great too and are super duper comfy like sneakers :)

GC,
He just said in teh post above yours that he did not like them.

Check out the Nike Air Anthems

Well the PUMA factory store was a HUGE let down, not one golf related item to be had. Even though the website lists it as so.

I also had a chance to visit the Nike and Adidas stores, each of which only had 2 pairs of golf shoes being a couple years old. However the Adidas store had some low sole hiking shoes that have very promising soles, so I picked a pair up and will test them out. They were only $49.99 so if they suck I will have another pair of kicks to wear around.

These are not the color I bought but it shows the tread really well.

erez

I am not 100% sure these will work well but it is worth a shot. At least until I can find a place to try the puma's.

Hmm. Might be a little aggressive on the greens and tees? People lean on the outsides of their feet alot more than they think. With running shoes, you can see the edges of the soles left in some spots. If you notice more than slight impressions while walking around, im sure youre super would appreciate you wearing those elsewhere. But if they turn out okay, good luck! Hope this is your solution to your anti-golf shoe dilemma!
Well the PUMA factory store was a HUGE let down, not one golf related item to be had. Even though the website lists it as so.

I also had a chance to visit the Nike and Adidas stores, each of which only had 2 pairs of golf shoes being a couple years old. However the Adidas store had some low sole hiking shoes that have very promising soles, so I picked a pair up and will test them out. They were only $49.99 so if they suck I will have another pair of kicks to wear around.

These are not the color I bought but it shows the tread really well.

erez

I am not 100% sure these will work well but it is worth a shot. At least until I can find a place to try the puma's.

I have a pair of Kikkors and they are very comfortable.

sweet looking kicks but thainers right they could be murder on the greens

You might wait for the ECCO Golf Street (Freddie's shoes) coming out this fall. I can walk long time in mi' ole ECCOs with comfort all the way to the 19th hole. :bulgy-eyes:

sweet looking kicks but thainers right they could be murder on the greens

After searching for non spiked shoes these are not to much more aggressive. They look more aggressive than they are to be honest.

Luckly I am not foot dragger or a rotater when it comes to walking. I will give these a shot and if it looks like they are a bit harsh I will change back to the regulars. As I am not out there to cause damage.

You guys have no idea how pissed I was when I got to the puma store and they did not have 1 thing golf related. I really like the looks of those scrambles. It really grinds me gears!

You could look for a pair of Puma C-Hoppers. They look like Vans but have regular golf spikes on the bottom.

IMG_0241.jpg

After searching for non spiked shoes these are not to much more aggressive. They look more aggressive than they are to be honest.

Luckly I am not foot dragger or a rotater when it comes to walking. I will give these a shot and if it looks like they are a bit harsh I will change back to the regulars. As I am not out there to cause damage.

You guys have no idea how pissed I was when I got to the puma store and they did not have 1 thing golf related. I really like the looks of those scrambles. It really grinds me gears!

Thank you! And good luck on your search.

+1 on the C-Hoppers. I wouldnt wear them because I am a traditionalist when it comes to golf shoes, but they are super comfy.

lovin that puma got into golf!!!

nike still has the best looking stuff to me tho

On my opinion ECCO is the best option, nice looking shoes and very very comfortable

I'm a fan of the Adidas Tour 360 model. They look like tennis shoes and they are the most comfotable ones I've ever worn with the 3D foam fit.

Back