Downhill/Uphill lies

Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
If you are in the fairway on a downhill slope, do you aim towards the left? Same with an uphill slope in the fairway, do you aim towards the right?

When you say uphill, do you mean the ball is above your feet, or the target is above your current position

The targets, sorry.

If the target is above/below you, you should be able to take dead aim.

When the ball is above your feet, it will draw. Below will fade.

Read the OP wrong..............>>Also downhill lies tend to need more club, uphill lies tend to need less
The targets, sorry.

If the target is above/below you, you should be able to take dead aim.

When the ball is above your feet, it will draw. Below will fade.

Read the OP wrong..............>>Also downhill lies tend to need more club, uphill lies tend to need less

I thought it was the opposite: uphill lies you need more club and downhill lies you need less? I've always thought since its downhill it'll roll there haa haa

depends on if you are right or left handed.....:)

depends on if you are right or left handed.....:)

Really?

On Sunday, I was using my 3w in the fairway at about 150 yards out and downhill, my first shot I aimed right at the pin, ball went in a completely other direction instead of where I was aiming. So the BF said to aim left, left I aimed and it was a much better shot.

Are we talking lies, and targets above you too? Because to uphill targets youll need more club, but up hill lies to a level target will generally require less club?????
I thought it was the opposite: uphill lies you need more club and downhill lies you need less? I've always thought since its downhill it'll roll there haa haa

sure, if the ball's below my feet i expect it to go left, if the ball's below your feet it should go right. if it's above my feet it should go right, if it's above your feet it should go left.

thats why i said draw or fade, to prevent confusion lol
sure, if the ball's below my feet i expect it to go left, if the ball's below your feet it should go right. if it's above my feet it should go right, if it's above your feet it should go left.

Ok, now I'm confused! I don't think I'm talking about the ball position per se, but more of where the pin is in location to where I am (either uphill or downhill).

The reason the downhill takes more club is because the slope takes some of the loft off of the club making it harder to get it up in the air.

Edit: meant to say less club.

Ok, now I'm confused! I don't think I'm talking about the ball position per se, but more of where the pin is in location to where I am (either uphill or downhill).

so, you're curious of whether or not to hit more or less club depending on whether or not the green is elevated or if it's way below you?

Uphill shots require more club. Downhill less.

Uphill lies to a flat pin require less club. Downhill require more.

That dang TC! Hitting everything backards again!

now im confused... hahah

Golfchick: Often, when playing an uphill lie to the target, folks will aim a little right of the target. Some people need to do this because they find that rotating their body on an uphill slope (particularly in the follow-through) is difficult, leading to increased arm/hand action and a resulting draw or pull/hook.

Not to further muddy the waters, but:

There is a hole that I end up with a side-hill lie quite a bit. The ball is above me and it is pretty steep. The ball always shoots straight right of my target. Is that what normally occurs?

Golfchick: Often, when playing an uphill lie to the target, folks will aim a little right of the target. Some people need to do this because they find that rotating their body on an uphill slope (particularly in the follow-through) is difficult, leading to increased arm/hand action and a resulting draw or pull/hook.

Well said, man, you said it all philisophical-ly-ly and stuff

Not to further muddy the waters, but:

There is a hole that I end up with a side-hill lie quite a bit. The ball is above me and it is pretty steep. The ball always shoots straight right of my target. Is that what normally occurs?

no, if the ball is above your feet (i'm assuming that's what you mean) it should promote more of a hook/draw for you hawk. it should be going left, not right.

That's what I thought. I wonder why am I pushing it then?

That's what I thought. I wonder why am I pushing it then?

dunno, open club face at impact? do you choke up and take a little extra club in this situation?

dunno, open club face at impact? do you choke up and take a little extra club in this situation?

No and no. Maybe I will give that a try next time. Thanks for the advice!

No and no. Maybe I will give that a try next time. Thanks for the advice!

dude, you may want to hit andy up as well. i'm no golf pro, just telling you what i do in that situation, but then again i have a problem of the ball staying straight and not going with the slope.

Back