Titleist Seeks Preliminary Injunction Against Taylormade-adidas Golf

I have never judged a person by the clubs they play. I get crap all the time due to most of my clubs being Taylormade, people say at my club "You get paid to play Taylormade?" I just tell them the same thing I tell everyone here. When I find clubs that I'm as comfortable with as these then I'll switch. Play what makes you a better golfer and screw anyone that has a problem with it. I came close to getting last years Cobra irons as I really liked the way they hit the ball. But for me the Burner's shined and then JB wrote a great review on the R9's and after trying them and improved ball striking I wanted to try a set. I personally believe everyone here that likes TMaG is for one simple reason, they make equipment that works for most people. I know it has helped my game improve a ton and I have played Callaway, Titleist, MacGregor and Mizuno clubs in the past. Last year when I got back into golf TM clubs shined in my testing and until they don't I guess I will look like their poster child.

I would actually prefer to play clubs from the perceived 'little guy', so I can go out and surprise people with them.

I just need to find some that work for me.

It is really quite amazing how different clubs can work for different people. For example, with all of the rave reviews for the TM SuperFast 3 wood, I wanted to test it out. Truth be told, I did not like it. The same goes for the SuperTri, it does not work for. On the flip side is that I love the SuperFast driver and hybrid (Canadian exclusive). So of the same line of clubs, some work and some do not. That is why there are many OEMs each providing their own take on the equipment. It is the same for cars. We have choice in what we drive whether it be a Nissan, Honda, Dodge etc. We like what we like and that is that.

I've always found Gray's talk of his "hissing Snakes" quite hilarious. He is obviously passionate about his clubs, just as I am passionate about mine (when they work.... :smile:). Cobra is not my first choice, neither is Titleist. That is my decision. If someone else likes them, I say good for them. We have to be proud of what we play, whatever it may be. Some people don't like Nike. I do. It's no big deal.

Gray, my friend, I welcome you to bring them hissing snakes to WPB, and show us how much bite they've got!

I do have a question for someone in the know: I asked earlier about Cobra's new relation with Puma. Has Puma been drug into this mess as well now too or is Cobra still its own separate entity in which it remains independent from Puma??

It is really quite amazing how different clubs can work for different people. For example, with all of the rave reviews for the TM SuperFast 3 wood, I wanted to test it out. Truth be told, I did not like it. The same goes for the SuperTri, it does not work for. On the flip side is that I love the SuperFast driver and hybrid (Canadian exclusive). So of the same line of clubs, some work and some do not. That is why there are many OEMs each providing their own take on the equipment. It is the same for cars. We have choice in what we drive whether it be a Nissan, Honda, Dodge etc. We like what we like and that is that.

I've always found Gray's talk of his "hissing Snakes" quite hilarious. He is obviously passionate about his clubs, just as I am passionate about mine (when they work.... :smile:). Cobra is not my first choice, neither is Titleist. That is my decision. If someone else likes them, I say good for them. We have to be proud of what we play, whatever it may be. Some people don't like Nike. I do. It's no big deal.

Gray, my friend, I welcome you to bring them hissing snakes to WPB, and show us how much bite they've got!

I do have a question for someone in the know: I asked earlier about Cobra's new relation with Puma. Has Puma been drug into this mess as well now too or is Cobra still its own separate entity in which it remains independent from Puma??

As far as I know Cobra and Puma are officially one company called Cobra-Puma Golf. They operatore differently just as TaylorMade and Adidas and Ashworth but they are considered one company. TaylorMade is being sudes not Adidas but technically they are one company, hopefully that makes sense. And if someone knows for sure please correct me if I am wrong because this is just my educated guess.

As far as I know Cobra and Puma are officially one company called Cobra-Puma Golf. They operatore differently just as TaylorMade and Adidas and Ashworth but they are considered one company. TaylorMade is being sudes not Adidas but technically they are one company, hopefully that makes sense. And if someone knows for sure please correct me if I am wrong because this is just my educated guess.

Thanks GG, that's what I thought. Once you're all together, it's hard for the others not to be involved one way or another. It will still be interesting to see how this all plays out. Hopefully it won't be drug out for too long!

Strange to see how this thread went. On the initial topic, its one huge corporation going after another huge corporation- it will be argued by lawyers, settled in a backroom and will have little or no impact on the everyday golfer or how they view the brands they like.

I went through a TM phase and loved my Supersteels, my old Callaway Heavenwood rocked, I played some great Wilson Staff irons, I was all Cleveland for a while, and now I have a mixed bag- including a Cobra L5V driver which is great. And in fact I loved the Cobra ZL when I tried it, if it hadn't been more expensive than the Ping I would have bought it. So it just goes to show how individual clubs are.

I think the ads and the association with the pro's gets you looking at clubs in the shop, but unless they perform for you it doesn't really matter who is hawking them.

Golf Digest reported that Puma is not part of the suit, although they are the parent company of Cobra.

In my day job, I work on contracts that purposely keep my co. from being sued if one of its Affilaites comes under fire. This is called Affiliate Separation where one can sue one part of a co. but not the whole company itself. Here's a poor example....if you want to sue the pants of us great, you just can't sue the shirt as well.

Golf Digest reported that Puma is not part of the suit, although they are the parent company of Cobra.

nice!!! i love a smarta** first thing in the morning!

ironically, i feel bad for guys like gray. he likes what he likes and it works for him, and i can completely see where he's coming from with his complaint. if i don't like something, i don't play it, there's too many options out there, but i just don't like something b/c of who they are, it's b/c it doesn't work the best for me. i like wilson's Ci9 irons, a lot! many wouldn't dare put a wilson club in the bag, b/c of the perception of wilson, and that i just don't understand.

i got hot and bothered in this thread when certain things were implied by a certain someone, and i just felt like it was a cheap shot. i have no qualm with someone being honest or expressing themself, but just do it, and be honest, and tell me why.

i have more respect for someone when they explain themselves, when they make the effort to get their point across, someone like JP. he gets a lot of respect from me b/c he's more than happy to explain his thought process, that's all we can really ask for.

Very well stated! I have always been a guy that goes to the beat of his own drum whether right or wrong......

Gray,
In my opinion part of the reason for a certain brand being named quite a bit is based on their actions and THP and nothing more. It has little to do with you outside of the fact that clearly you are on payroll since nobody could be this much of a superfan...haha

But when a company chooses not to support the people of the site via testing, some take that as a knock on them personally. If it was a situation in which some companies chose not to be a part of it and some did, it would be one thing. But to have every single of the top 12 companies be involved and them not, it says a lot to a lot of people here.

But you of all people should understand that, because I have shared with you some information in the background that showed true colors of certain companies and certain people. WHo you choose to root for, play, or anything else is your business and all we want is someone to find clubs that work for them. Wouldnt care if its ABC or DEF company. But this community is different than most in that they love to rip through marketing and get to the bottom of line of companies that help and work well with consumers. Being that only one company chose to ignore consumer testing in this case, has led many to come to their own conclusions on why.

Not everything will work for everybody. Just you this year got a ZL, hated it, got a new shaft, still didnt work. Then got the next Cobra driver, hated it, sent it back for more weight and it still didnt work. As long as people can find what works for them, is all that matters.

So while superfans are interesting to say the least, I cant think of a single time when someone started something with you over your clubs. It may have happened after a comment such as "these snakes will hiss", but you have to understand that. No different than you telling others that the R9 irons you got were not to your liking.

We all want to have fun here and the goal of THP is to give the consumers a direct link to the companies to try products, rip through the marketing, and get to the bottom of exactly what works for them and why. Only one company has chosen to not be a part of that, hence the backlash. And to go as far as asking us to break the rules that everybody else has to follow and sneak a plain clothes rep in our demo day to monitor thoughts, wreaks of oddness in my opinion. So again, it has little to do with the person playing them and everything to do with the company and how they have treated the forum member testing.

Many others on thsi forum play Cobra and love Cobra. Including me up until a few years ago. But nobody seems to get treatment about it. It could perhaps be what I said before such as the constant "ads" and the constant "the snakes will hiss" in every post.

I have no issues with the banter and find it quite refreshing. In the end, it is all in good fun.

Now you my friend are very wise and diplomatic. I agree with what you said and honestly believe you would never purposely aim darts at any individual because of what clubs they prefer.

I have never judged a person by the clubs they play. I get crap all the time due to most of my clubs being Taylormade, people say at my club "You get paid to play Taylormade?" I just tell them the same thing I tell everyone here. When I find clubs that I'm as comfortable with as these then I'll switch. Play what makes you a better golfer and screw anyone that has a problem with it. I came close to getting last years Cobra irons as I really liked the way they hit the ball. But for me the Burner's shined and then JB wrote a great review on the R9's and after trying them and improved ball striking I wanted to try a set. I personally believe everyone here that likes TMaG is for one simple reason, they make equipment that works for most people. I know it has helped my game improve a ton and I have played Callaway, Titleist, MacGregor and Mizuno clubs in the past. Last year when I got back into golf TM clubs shined in my testing and until they don't I guess I will look like their poster child.

I love this analogy of what I stand for :eek:)!!!

I would actually prefer to play clubs from the perceived 'little guy', so I can go out and surprise people with them.

I just need to find some that work for me.

Good stuff and I play what I play because it works for me, not the mass. Little company or Big company does not alter my decision. I walk my own path when it comes down to performance on the course and playing stuff that helps me just a little bit more to be confident....

Thanks buddy. I will work hard with my clubs to have my ducks in a row when I hit WPB.... It's not the clubs one plays, it the clubee :eek:)......

Thanks buddy. I will work hard with my clubs to have my ducks in a row when I hit WPB.... It's not the clubs one plays, it the clubee :eek:)......

Truer words were never spoken my friend!! But it's SO much easier to blame the clubs!! Hehe. I hear ya loud and clear though. A co-worker of mine calls it operator error.... :D

As much as I would like to disagree with this, they may have a point legally. If I was shelling out $$$ for a player to endorse my stuff, I would want him till the day his contract expired. If the information was leaked, I don't know if they have a foot to stand on, but if it was an actual press release, then they may have a point. Then again, maybe TM knew this was going to happen and they calculated the cost as in their advertising budget because you know news like this will only help to shine light on the situation.

TM wins either way.

That's what it looks like...

Back