Ideas or ways to get new participants into the game of golf

jnug

Reaction score
We have hijacked the OP that started the slow play suggestions thread to death and I am as responsible as anybody else for that so I thought I would start a different thread. In fact it got hijacked a couple of times. This thread is only specific to one of them.

Assuming you buy the premise that participation is down and that in addition to that, the group of core participants, those that have been most responsible for generating revenue is also eroding then what can the golf industry do to turn the tide?

We were losing participants before the economy went south and before Tiger’s negative press. So the trend well precedes any of that. We lose about 3 million golfers per year and pick up some number less than that for a net loss every year. I recall the period from 1999 to 2003 was really pretty bad. I think we had a net loss something like 3.5 million participants during that period. It has been a long time since I had that set of numbers but I think I can find them again. I do not think the years since then have been that bad although every year we have had a net loss year over year.

Generally speaking for a market that is suffering some degree of erosion in its core participants it is a dead giveaway that the market dynamics that had driven that market in the past either no longer exist or have changed sufficiently such that you need new blood in order to grow. You need participants that come into the sport or hobby for a different set of reasons or based on a different set of market dynamics. I think what has been at the core of the golf market has been the traditional foursome whether guys, gals or mixed. The morning or afternoon foursome is at the heart of the business of golf. These are people interested in hitting the ball or improving their scoring or both. They are in the main died in the wool golfers and they are not much or at all out there giving much consideration to the company or the nice weather, the birds the bees the flowers or the trees, exercise or anything other than getting the ball in the hole. While participation is down generally it is also down right in the core participant group. In my view things like riding carts has helped to keep some number of traditional participants playing but has neither stemmed the tide of reduction nor accounted for any meaningful gains that can be identified.

So the premise is that participation is down and continuing to decline. Courses are closing. To some extent courses might be closing because we overbuilt courses between 1996 and 2003 (3,000 courses built in that time period). However the courses were built mainly based on the idea that aging boomers would have more leisure time and would play more golf. That just has not happened to any great degree.
If you want to argue the numbers, be my guest. I love numbers so if anybody has them and wants to toss them up here either to support the premise that numbers are down or argue that we have already turned the tide, feel free. I would suggest that we not take much time talking about growth that occurs as a consequence of the shifting tide of global economic wealth however as it is hard to accept that as real growth. So the fact that golf is on the rise in India and China for example would not seem relevant to participation in the US and it certainly only helps us here in the US tangentially at best.

I agree with those in the other thread that have suggested that cart riding is a faster way around the course. I don’t see how it could not be. I do have occasion to play with guys who ride while I use a push cart and in those instances I just about have to run just to make sure they are not waiting too long for me to catch up. In fact I have literally trotted on occasion not to have them wait nor hold up the group behind. It may or may not have a bearing in this thread. I have suggested that one possible path might be to have courses that are walk only courses since we already have courses that are ride only courses. The walk only courses might offer other features and amenities that would attract golfers to the golf course for a different set of reasons. They might be courses that are more family friendly as I for one just do not know where we are going to find more numbers in this country unless it comes from families or from groups of golfers that play for a combination of old and new reasons.

Those that like to walk might be stuck with slower play and kids on the fairways but for the right combination of features and amenities and for the added relief of not having to keep such a sharp eye out for the group ahead and the group behind that could be worthwhile, especially if you thought you were ultimately helping to bring more new blood into the game. Plus you might well be one of the families enjoying the golf outing as a family.

The cart only courses may be where many of us end up anyway if we play long enough as at some point before we are willing to give up the game we may not be physically capable of walking the course. Surely the cart only courses would allow for a faster pace and that might be more to the liking of a high percentage of the core golfing community. Also I am not suggesting that we would only have walk only or cart only courses. We would still have combination courses as well. However a different way of using a course might kill two birds with one stone. It might get more new blood into the sport and it might be a means to keep some of the overstock of courses from closing. If some of those that come to the sport through an “alternate” route eventually become more traditional golfers that would be fine. If they always liked this alternate path then that might be fine as well. Anyway that is only one idea.

So if the thread can be ideas to bring new blood into the game based on the premise that game needs more/new participants or debunk the idea that it needs new participants(i.e. our numbers are already improving enough as it is) that would be great. If you are going to argue that the numbers are already improving sufficiently then it would be nice to see that argument supported with numbers.

longest.post.ever :banghead:

Lol, can we get some talking points?

Courses are indeed hurting, our home course went on the auction block so who knows if its still a golf course and actually open :sad: We'll see later today!!

I'm not really sure how to approach this. I decided against posting in the other threat because it was off topic, but I'm not sure what you can say about a game that:

1) Has a high cost of entry (golf clubs, even if you go get, say a full set at Costco for something like $299, that's still a good bit more than...say a basketball or a tennis racquet)

2) High barrier of entry in skill (You sure don't pick up clubs for the first time and head to the golf course......time spent on driving range/practice before your first real round of golf would be a interesting poll)

3) High cost to play (Looking at a different thread, $30-$50 a round sounds normal + cost of lost balls. A walk in the park or a bike ride with the family as you say, is free once you buy a bike)

4) Costly in time. Just the fact that there's a slow play thread kinda shows the problem. On a muni course in the bay area, a 6 hour round is not out of the ordinary. Now this really depends on where you live. I don't know Florida...I haven't been there since I was a kid going to Disney. But in Cali, the pace of life is pretty hectic at times. I know a large majority of my friends quit the game because there just isn't time (especially after marriage and kids) to play. At best we could do a back 9 early Saturday, but waking up at 5AM isn't the most pleasant.

Obviously I didn't point out any solutions here, I'm just saying my opinion on what the game has working against it at the moment.

Can we get this in a powerpoint presentation?

On a more serious note..

Cost is a big factor, I think there is a market for more basic courses to open. 12-15 bucks a round type courses. Not the best conditions but good for a fun time.

Elitism is a big factor in many places. In Italy for example golf is considered a sport for 'rich people'. And if you have been on any of the other major golf forums you can quickly see that a new player or casual player is regarded with a lot of dismissal. You can be driven away from the sport pretty quickly based on that.

The entry cost is certainly a factor, but I think people would pay it if they new the sport was fun and could be played causally.

And time. 3-5 hours is a big commitment and when that goes up to 6 because of crowding, well that is enough to turn off anyway.

I guess the best comparison I can make is with Skiing. It costs a lot to play and for the equipment, plus it can be so crowded on the weekends at some places that it's not worth going. It can also take half the day.

BUT unlike golf, skiing is very open and welcoming to everyone, there are slopes to suit lots of different levels and it is very family oriented. When you go to ski its a vacation 'event' for the whole family. I know that golf has resorts as well, but I think the Ski industry has done a better job than golf in that respect.

Last edited:
It's pretty well established that golfing participation is down and courses (public and private) are suffering for it, so I won't debate that. There was actually a good article on this subject on USA Today earlier this week. I looked for it, but no dice on the linky.

I think there are three major things that are reducing participation.

1. Money
2. Time
3. Our Culture

1. Golf is super expensive. Especially for the die-hards, but even for the occasional golfer. 30 bucks for an afternoon of fun is a lot of money, and that is cheap in the golfing world. On top of that, you have clubs, balls, bags, clothes, travel, etc, etc. There are private clubs around here that are available to me for almost 50% of what they cost a few years ago. Public courses are running specials every week trying to get people.

2. Slow play or not, there are people that don't have the time to spend doing anything for four hours. Family dynamics are much different than even 10 years ago. It's not the norm for dad to be gone all weekend golfing, fishing, hunting, etc. Instead, he's at the zoo or soccer games. The folks who do have time are faced with courses that don't manage their traffic, so when they get a chance to get out, they are looking at 6 hours instead of 4. Next thing you know, the golf bag is collecting dust in the garage.

3. Our culture loves instant results. Golf is the exact opposite.

Don't listen to all these guys.....I appreciate the time and effort that you put in to post your thoughts on the subject.
I firmly believe that the decline of new participants in this game will eventually doom us all to the choice of poorly maintained muni courses or way overpriced private courses....

Don't listen to all these guys.....I appreciate the time and effort that you put in to post your thoughts on the subject.
I firmly believe that the decline of new participants in this game will eventually doom us all to the choice of poorly maintained muni courses or way overpriced private courses....

Sort of mirrors the direction of society in general.

I think many of the causes of golf's potential demise have been covered. I would add one more, however: intimidation. It is difficult enough to make the decision to enter the sport, but when more experienced players are huffing at you with impatience, making obnoxious remarks about the degree of suckitude of your swing, and generally making you feel as if you should just pick up your ball and ride in the cart, well, frankly, it can be a less-than-pleasant experience. (And many pro shops seem to reflect these attitudes as well.)

I mean, someone on another board actually suggested that beginners should not play during prime times because it is unfair to the more advanced players. So, if I'm a beginner, I'm only supposed to play at times that are inconvenient and uncomfortable to me, simply for the sake of the more advanced players? How is that welcoming? How does that further the sport? As someone pointed out earlier, skiing does a much better job of welcoming people, despite the high cost of entry.

End rant.

Anyway, golf may need to become more capitalistic if it is going to survive. Lower prices, particularly for lessons and gear, may be the way to go. Yes, I know this represents the WalMartization of the sport. But unless it does so, it may find itself going the way of hockey. If you make the prices low enough, newcomers may not care about the poor attitudes of more advanced players.

What constitutes a hard core golfer today? The guy or gal willing to play in a downpour? The weekend duffer who drives two hours to play a track he hasn't experienced before but has heard about?

Nope. According to the National Golf Foundation, which speaks for the recreational golf industry, the core golfer today is someone who plays 8 rounds a year.

8 rounds. That's it. Just 8 circuits and you qualify as the heart and soul of recreational golf.

Yes, the bar is indeed being lowered. As fast and as far as the numbers of golfers. We are a dying breed according to the National Golf Foundation.

Millions of golfers each year become ex-golfers. And we know how the NGF and other organizations like the National Golf Course Owners Association are struggling to find ways to attract new, younger players into the game.

The industry brain trust is scratching its head trying to figure out just why millions quit the game every year and why we're left with a situation where someone who plays 8 rounds over 365 days is the beating heart of recreational golf.

A few days ago, Paul Vitello from The New York Times wrote a story that tries to sort out the problem.

It doesn't. The problem has more than one cause. But I don't believe the most popular notion that a round of golf takes up too much time. We can't afford 5 hours outdoors in the fresh air and sunshine surrounded by natural (and some man-made) beauty?

I don't buy the time thing. If anything, it's probably more financial than anything else. And that would certainly be a barrier to young people entering the game. A skateboard or even an Xbox 360 costs less than your average set of irons.

Take a look at the Swedish solution; that country's golf industry has aimed its product at families. And look at how many Swedish touring pros are on men's and women's tours around the world. It's staggering.

The U.K. has adopted a similar plan to the Swedish model. You can find their strategies for growing the game here. You'll need Adobe to open it.

http://www.eagleparbirdie.com/50226711/the_decline_and_fall_of_recreational_golf.php

Cost is certainly a factor but I believe that there are two other things that need to be considered as well.

The first is that like so many other pursuits, golf has become specialized and technologized (is that a word?) to the point that I think the perception is that pro golf sits at one very high and very technical level and golf for the rest of us is far below and I believe that the notion that "anyone can become a pro" (and the impetus to get better at the game) is virtually gone.

Years ago, I think most people thought that if one had a love of the game and enough time on their hands that anyone could take a shot at turning pro someday. But these days, between the college golf factories and the ever increasing dependence on gear and specifications, I think that for the first time in history there is a real disconnect between the people and the pros.

I'm not saying that everyone used to have a desire to turn pro, but it was rather the idea that it was possible and the reason was the perception that the equipment the pro's used and what the average player used wasn't that different because technology wasn't there to make it all that different. But today, I think people see getting into pro golf as a million dollar undertaking and that kills the dream (however fanciful) and thus the interest.

The second thing is the single-parent or the working parents household.

Because of the strains and demands of modern middle-class life, the leisure time that was enjoyed by many in the past is gone. It has been replaced by schedules and commitments and the idea of a father passing his golf wisdom to his son on any regular basis has all but disappeared.
When I learned the game, my father took me out to play every week and he was there to teach me the finer points of the game as well as the etiquette and he engendered an interest in the game in me that became set in stone. But today, many fathers are either absent or simply don't have the time to nurture a child's interest in the game beyond a perfunctory level and though the "basics" may be passed on, the passion isn't because it takes time to develop a passion.

I don't know whether any of this makes any sense to others, but these are a couple of things that I've thought about over the years and that I've observed.

-JP

Cost is certainly a factor but I believe that there are two other things that need to be considered as well.

The first is that like so many other pursuits, golf has become specialized and technologized (is that a word?) to the point that I think the perception is that pro golf sits at one very high and very technical level and golf for the rest of us is far below and I believe that the notion that "anyone can become a pro" (and the impetus to get better at the game) is virtually gone.

Years ago, I think most people thought that if one had a love of the game and enough time on their hands that anyone could take a shot at turning pro someday. But these days, between the college golf factories and the ever increasing dependence on gear and specifications, I think that for the first time in history there is a real disconnect between the people and the pros.

I'm not saying that everyone used to have a desire to turn pro, but it was rather the idea that it was possible and the reason was the perception that the equipment the pro's used and what the average player used wasn't that different because technology wasn't there to make it all that different. But today, I think people see getting into pro golf as a million dollar undertaking and that kills the dream (however fanciful) and thus the interest.

-JP

While I agree with a lot of what you say, I think the equipment side of the equation is actually the opposite. The marketing that is done today has people believing that they can hit it as far as the pros. They also look and see Taylormade being the #1 driver on tour and see it as a chance that they can play the same as the pros. Same with the every 30 seconds a Titleist ball ad talking about playing the same ball the pros play.

I think consumers now are connected to the equipment more than ever before because there is more of it and it gives them the option and opinion to believe that they are in the same league as the pros.

The disconnect from the pros comes from in my opinion from the advent of video and grooving swings that are all similar. Sunday hackers dont look at the TV and say my swing looks like that. I really dont think less people pick up the game though because they thought they had a chance any more or less today than before. Just like any other sport.

According to surveys done every single year by CCA (club corp of america) there are only 3 reasons that people give for the reasons that they do not play.

1. Cost
2. Time
3. Elitism

It has been the same three things on their survey for the last 15 years and they list about 15 other reasons. It always comes down to those three choices each and every year that the survey comes out in February.

When I mention time being an issue, I mean that it puts me out of sync with my friends and family. Essentially, the vast majority of people I know don't play golf. When I play a full 18, you can think of me as "sneaking in" 18 holes and running off to meet up with pals afterwards.

If this were a 1 day event with the family, I wouldn't mention time at all, but generally it's not. It's me with a few other friends who all share the love for the game, but are trying to "fit in" a round in between things.

Cost is the other factor. Generally speaking, most of us only have time on the weekends, and of course, that's when costs are at it's highest. A municipal golf course here runs in the $50 range (and that's without a cart). If we turn that into a family outing of 4, that's $200 spent. I don't know about the rest of you, but I find that to be quite a bit to be spending if you want to do this monthly.

While I agree with a lot of what you say, I think the equipment side of the equation is actually the opposite. The marketing that is done today has people believing that they can hit it as far as the pros. They also look and see Taylormade being the #1 driver on tour and see it as a chance that they can play the same as the pros. Same with the every 30 seconds a Titleist ball ad talking about playing the same ball the pros play.

I think consumers now are connected to the equipment more than ever before because there is more of it and it gives them the option and opinion to believe that they are in the same league as the pros.

The disconnect from the pros comes from in my opinion from the advent of video and grooving swings that are all similar. Sunday hackers dont look at the TV and say my swing looks like that. I really dont think less people pick up the game though because they thought they had a chance any more or less today than before. Just like any other sport.

According to surveys done every single year by CCA (club corp of america) there are only 3 reasons that people give for the reasons that they do not play.

1. Cost
2. Time
3. Elitism

It has been the same three things on their survey for the last 15 years and they list about 15 other reasons. It always comes down to those three choices each and every year that the survey comes out in February.

What I mean by the equipment idea is that while many people certainly have a better chance at "being better" through technology, I think that the perception may be that we first of all "need all the help we can get" and secondly that the pro's have access to technology that "we the people" will never be privy to and both concepts tend to contribute to that disconnect.

I'm surprised though to see that "elitism" is still an issue. I really thought that was a thing of the past.

Interesting.

-JP

Regarding elitism, keeping in mind I'm a proud golfer, I've been denied service at a local golf course before (and I'm talking about slightly better than the local muni type of course).

Now.....I understand the dress code and I adhere to it. But when I meet up with friends on the weekend to hang, I'm sorry I don't do it in a polo and khaki's.....I go hang in a t-shirt and jeans.

We were bored one afternoon and a couple of them suggested to go hit up the course and so we went off and were denied. Go figure......those guys have never touched a golf club again. I love the sport too much to give it up.

Like I said.....I'm understanding of the reasons, but at the same time I understand the other side of the coin as many non-golfers find us to be pretty elitist.

What I mean by the equipment idea is that while many people certainly have a better chance at "being better" through technology, I think that the perception may be that we first of all "need all the help we can get" and secondly that the pro's have access to technology that "we the people" will never be privy to and both concepts tend to contribute to that disconnect.

I'm surprised though to see that "elitism" is still an issue. I really thought that was a thing of the past.

Interesting.

-JP

I really do think that is changing as well. Ping paved the way for that with their fitting. And companies like Callaway and Taylormade with their fitting centers using systems like MATT give consumers the exact same experience and fitting that the tour pros are using. It is there for them. Plus superstores like Golfsmith and Golf Galaxy adding launch monitors and fitting. To the average golfer, they believe this is exactly what the pros are getting.

You ask most of the golfers at a weekend course and they dont know any different or much about the technology that is available. It is the reason that 83% of all drivers sold in 2009 were sold OTR rather than fitted.

As for elitism, read any golf forum and you will see TONS of it. People can call it whatever they want, elitism, traditionalist, stuffy, etc... its still the most common perception with the game of golf.

I agree with time and cost being a factor as to why the people who like to play don't play as much as maybe they used to. I know I don't. I used to play 5-6 times a month, now I'm lucky if I average 2 or 3 rounds a month, and that is pretty much only from April through September.

The one thing I don't think anyone has mentioned is that it is a hard game to play, even harder to be good at. If it wasn't so hard, more people would play. We live in a society where everyone has a short attention span and wants instant gratification. Golf just isn't that way, you have to put in the time, and money. It is my opinion (and my Dad's) that when people stopped playing as much, more than anything it was because they sucked at it. They see Tiger and Phil on TV, go to the course and expect to 'be like Mike'. It just isn't going to happen that way. So all those people who started playing 15 years ago they bought all the equipment, got the memberships, played all the time. They could never figure it out, never had a good score, stopped buying clubs, got rid of the membership, and did something else. Club companies have tried to help by making all the SGI stuff to help people try and play better and stick with the game. It has probably worked to some extent, but golfers still have to swing the club, and that doesn't get any easier unless you put in the time, and money, which it has already been determined are two things that most people are lacking.

The one thing I don't think anyone has mentioned is that it is a hard game to play, even harder to be good at. If it wasn't so hard, more people would play. We live in a society where everyone has a short attention span and wants instant gratification. Golf just isn't that way, you have to put in the time, and money.

This is so true. When they watch golf on TV, people see professionals who make what appear to be simple and easy swings, and find themselves thinking, "Well, how hard can that be? I'm semi-athletic and I played XYZ in HS and college. I should be able to golf with no problem."

I don't know how many of you watch "Little People, Big World," but in one episode this past season, the mother hosted a golf fundraiser. She bought her own clubs and approched the game with a "this will be simple" attitude. She was shocked at how difficult golf is.

I think many of the causes of golf's potential demise have been covered. I would add one more, however: intimidation. It is difficult enough to make the decision to enter the sport, but when more experienced players are huffing at you with impatience, making obnoxious remarks about the degree of suckitude of your swing, and generally making you feel as if you should just pick up your ball and ride in the cart, well, frankly, it can be a less-than-pleasant experience. (And many pro shops seem to reflect these attitudes as well.)

I mean, someone on another board actually suggested that beginners should not play during prime times because it is unfair to the more advanced players. So, if I'm a beginner, I'm only supposed to play at times that are inconvenient and uncomfortable to me, simply for the sake of the more advanced players? How is that welcoming? How does that further the sport? As someone pointed out earlier, skiing does a much better job of welcoming people, despite the high cost of entry.

End rant.

Anyway, golf may need to become more capitalistic if it is going to survive. Lower prices, particularly for lessons and gear, may be the way to go. Yes, I know this represents the WalMartization of the sport. But unless it does so, it may find itself going the way of hockey. If you make the prices low enough, newcomers may not care about the poor attitudes of more advanced players.

this is the whole reason my girl quit playing and doesnt mind just riding in the the cart listening to her mp3 player
she doesnt mind hitting balls on the range but refuses to play on the course no matter how well she hits balls... its the attitude of others on the course she doesnt wanna deal with

Back