Titleist Seeks Preliminary Injunction Against Taylormade-adidas Golf

everyone keeps using the word "HE", camilo didn't do anything. he's still abiding by his contract and is filling out his obligations. he's still using cobra irons, still wearing FJ shoes, still playing a Pro V1, "HE" didn't do anything. he signed another deal, and as a 1099 employee, i'm sure has every right to. it's not his fault that TM leaked this information.

Well i said he because according to the press release his agent was involved and i doubt did so without his knowledge.

Well i said he because according to the press release his agent was involved and i doubt did so without his knowledge.

i honestly don't see the problem in the young man signing a new deal with someone else so long as he fulfills his obligations, which i believe he is doing.

Well its not that he signed its that they told the world he signed beforehis previous contract was up. Is he gonna pay back half the money because now he has basically said I like tm products i just have to finish with these junkers first. In one view he absolutely is honoring his commitments but in another its kinda like a golfer playing with a set of clubs and saying man these thing are nowhere near as good as these others. He didn't say it but its kind of implyed. Whether he had anything to do with the announcement, though, is the BIG question

But like i said earlier he has cobra clubs(not acushnet anymore) so did tm mention his shoes and ball?

This is all very interesting and I feel that Acushnet may have a case but consider it very childish. It seems that they are always "going after" a company legally when they seem to be losing market share in some way. In my opinion the way they do business could also be causing the switch with golfers, amateur or pro.

I wonder how many players actually choose their affiliations based on the quality of the product instead of the fee they are paid to be affiliated? I'm skeptical that Camilo's change is motivated by anything other than money. I guess having tour players as the face of your products is important, but do many consumers actually believe most players play the clubs they do for nay reason other than money?

I'm kind of surprised at the antagonism shown toward Titleist in a lot of posts. I've long been a fan of their products. The balls are as good as anything else, I loved my 690 MBs when I had a swing to handle them, I prefer their gloves over any other, their shoes are good, and I always liked their drivers.

Kevin

I wonder how many players actually choose their affiliations based on the quality of the product instead of the fee they are paid to be affiliated? I'm skeptical that Camilo's change is motivated by anything other than money. I guess having tour players as the face of your products is important, but do many consumers actually believe most players play the clubs they do for nay reason other than money?

I'm kind of surprised at the antagonism shown toward Titleist in a lot of posts. I've long been a fan of their products. The balls are as good as anything else, I loved my 690 MBs when I had a swing to handle them, I prefer their gloves over any other, their shoes are good, and I always liked their drivers.

Kevin

I too think they make awesome clubs but its mostly bare bones straight up players stuff. Nothin really for the higher cappers.

Well its not that he signed its that they told the world he signed beforehis previous contract was up. Is he gonna pay back half the money because now he has basically said I like tm products i just have to finish with these junkers first. In one view he absolutely is honoring his commitments but in another its kinda like a golfer playing with a set of clubs and saying man these thing are nowhere near as good as these others. He didn't say it but its kind of implyed. Whether he had anything to do with the announcement, though, is the BIG question

But like i said earlier he has cobra clubs(not acushnet anymore) so did tm mention his shoes and ball?

i can totally see where you are coming from here and i think that they are all great questions. unfortunately, i have no answers and am curious to know what a lot of them are myself. JB mentioned that he would be wearing adidas shoes but i'm not sure if that was in TM's press release or not. as for the ball he'll be playing, i have no idea. i think JB also mentioned that it was a 12 club deal.

i can totally see where you are coming from here and i think that they are all great questions. unfortunately, i have no answers and am curious to know what a lot of them are myself. JB mentioned that he would be wearing adidas shoes but i'm not sure if that was in TM's press release or not. as for the ball he'll be playing, i have no idea. i think JB also mentioned that it was a 12 club deal.

I think they mentioned that he was going to start playing Pentas. I think the only thing he didn't switch was apparel (JL) and putter (Scotty).

Kevin

For me it's the simple fact that Titleast act like they are above the average golfer, they have Michael Breed always throwing his titleast gear in front of the camera's on the golf channel, whoring out their balls which are good but most of the people playing them have no business doing so and most importantly they try to make other companies look bad when they have been caught red handed doing things that are unethical. I think this lawsuit, that is just stupid in all aspects, takes the cake. How does announcing someone will be joining another company cost them money? Do they honestly think Camillo has that much clout with people that they would sell all their cobra stuff so they could be like him? Like I said earlier, Rocco should sue Callaway for keeping him in their advertisements if you feel Acushnet has a legitimate argument. It's the same thing in my eyes.

Im not sure. We know of 2 others that are about to sign and leave their current deal. Major Players!

I dont think Camilo has done anything wrong whatsoever. The problem lies with TM's press release. Them signing him to a contract is not the problem. None at all. Where is the outcry from Cobra announcing the signing of Edfors last week? Granted not the same level and he did not have an exclusive deal, but still a contract announcement and leaving his current club deals.

TM just should not have put out the release out, but I am sure it was a calculated decision based on the news being out and weighing out the pros and cons. That is on them. I wouldnt have done it. But as 1099 employees go, they have the right to sign and be signed at any time for future services rendered.

This is all very interesting and I feel that Acushnet may have a case but consider it very childish. It seems that they are always "going after" a company legally when they seem to be losing market share in some way. In my opinion the way they do business could also be causing the switch with golfers, amateur or pro.

A lot of people agree with you.

Kevin

What would your thoughts be if you found out the money was almost exactly the same.

For me it's the simple fact that Titleast act like they are above the average golfer, they have Michael Breed always throwing his titleast gear in front of the camera's on the golf channel, whoring out their balls which are good but most of the people playing them have no business doing so and most importantly they try to make other companies look bad when they have been caught red handed doing things that are unethical. I think this lawsuit, that is just stupid in all aspects, takes the cake. How does announcing someone will be joining another company cost them money? Do they honestly think Camillo has that much clout with people that they would sell all their cobra stuff so they could be like him? Like I said earlier, Rocco should sue Callaway for keeping him in their advertisements if you feel Acushnet has a legitimate argument. It's the same thing in my eyes.

I quoted my original post here because I agree with you, but at the same time, also do not think TM should have announced it. The media would have handled it and did in this case and there was no reason for an official release. However when they looked at the overall picture, I am sure they weighed all options. Like I said, where was the outcry when Cobra announced a signing just a few weeks ago as well (ironically on the same day we broke the Camilo story). There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with contracts being signed in the middle of the year. Golfers do not have an offseason and free agency signing period. The rights of an independent contractor are completely different than that of a bargained for union workers contract. But, how a company handles that signing is a different matter.

Last edited:
Looks like Titleist have grabbed their chance for getting some publicity from this. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce another staffer just as this whole deal gets settled....just to keep them in the spotlight for a little longer.

TM's handling of the whole thing could have been a little better, imo.

they're clearly going with the 'bad press is better than no press' mantra here....
Looks like Titleist have grabbed their chance for getting some publicity from this. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce another staffer just as this whole deal gets settled....just to keep them in the spotlight for a little longer.

TM's handling of the whole thing could have been a little better, imo.

I said this on the first page, but I don't think that TM really cares about getting sued. What could they lose? Some money and they probably figured that the money lost is good payment for some awesome viral type advertisement. If Titleist has not sued, we would be all talking about the horrid day Tiger had yesterday.

the negative Titleist sentiment here exists. you have to look through the cracks to see it.

what does TM have to gain by announcing now rather than at season end?? a lot. it's a business. a cut throat business about money. reverse the role and what if Acushnet had announced a big switch mid-stream taking one of TM's players? i dare say that a lot of people would be supportive and jump on the bandwagon when TM sued Acushnet for "intentional interference with a business relationship/contract".

TM's hand was forced because of the leak(s). someone is in trouble.

the negative Titleist sentiment here exists. you have to look through the cracks to see it.

You may want to read our FJ shoe review and our Pro V1 ball review. BOTH the items that Acushnet is suing for. They got VERY Favorable reviews here. Anybody that has ever been asked to write a review for THP whether it be for the home page and the forum has only been asked to follow one rule. BE HONEST!

My reaction would be the same if the roles were reversed and TM was doing what Titleist is. I just don't see it to be that big of a deal. He signed with a new company. He's surely not the first person to do it before their contract was up. I don't think it's a big deal that TM announced it either.

Again, this happens in auto racing all of the time. They are also independent contractors. They have a right to take endorsements from whoever they want to, assuming they abide by the contracts they sign.

I want to add that our bias against Acushnet has also led them to be featured in the Spring Issue of the magazine with their shoes, the summer issue of the magazine with their wedges, rain gear and headwear, and at our THP Outings and Demo Days both Spring and Fall.

what does TM have to gain by announcing now rather than at season end?? a lot. it's a business. a cut throat business about money. reverse the role and what if Acushnet had announced a big switch mid-stream taking one of TM's players? i dare say that a lot of people would be supportive and jump on the bandwagon when TM sued Acushnet for "intentional interference with a business relationship/contract".

TM's hand was forced because of the leak(s). someone is in trouble.

I bashed TM for their terrible email about Callaway saying that they are the number 1 driver. That was a very poor move on TM's part.

I am not a Titleist fan because of the sheep out there that swing from their teet. They do make good stuff and I have never said otherwise. If Titleist ever offered me money to play their stuff or gave it to me, I would smile and say thank you very much and demand that I go to the Scotty Cameron studio to get a personalized fitting. But they never will and I will continue to be annoyed by the sheep.

That being said, I wish I owned a company with followers like that. I don't begrudge them a thing on the business side of things. They are advertising geniuses.

My reaction would be the same if the roles were reversed and TM was doing what Titleist is. I just don't see it to be that big of a deal. He signed with a new company. He's surely not the first person to do it before their contract was up. I don't think it's a big deal that TM announced it either.

That may be true for you (although I even question that from the tone of your comments), but it isn't for most. Most detractors just want to see the big boy taken down. If Titleist (Acushnet) files a suit, they're a bully. If they get filed on, then they deserved it. No matter what they do they will never be in the right as far as some people are concerned. All they can do is make their decisions based on what's right for the business. In this case they have definitely taken a hit. A player who is still under contract to them for another 5 months been publicly exposed to be leaving their stable. That can't help but hurt their business as far as anything his endorsement covers. It may not be a huge hit this time, but they can't risk letting it become a trend without fighting back. If they just lie back and let it go this time, then who's next?

I don't know how THP got involved in the leak, but there is something not right about this whole mess, and Titleist has a right to do what they can to minimize the damage and/or recoup any losses, both current and future.

Disclaimer... although you would think that I have an axe to grind when you look at my sig, I'm not a brand loyal buyer. I buy what feels good to me regardless of label, and the last time that just happened to be the AP-2 irons. Prior to 2 years ago, the only things I'd ever used from Acushnet were balls and shoes. I have no personal feelings for them one way or the other, aside from the fact that they make quality golf equipment. I try to maintain an attitude of unbiased fairness, and if Titleist has a legal beef, then they have every right to explore a legal remedy.

I don't know how THP got involved in the leak, but there is something not right about this whole mess, and Titleist has a right to do what they can to minimize the damage and/or recoup any losses, both current and future.

I have said it before, THP did NOT get any of this info from Taylormade. It was obtained from different sources on tour. TM would not comment on the story even after we published it. As for him leaving, news comes of this every year. The media puts out reports every year of people leaving and signing. Heck Darren Rovell has made a career out of it. However TM should NOT have released an official statement from a legal perspective. The media breaking a story is nothing new and happens every year.

No different than when Digest ran the story about Geoff leaving Puma last year.

You may want to read our FJ shoe review and our Pro V1 ball review. BOTH the items that Acushnet is suing for. They got VERY Favorable reviews here. Anybody that has ever been asked to write a review for THP whether it be for the home page and the forum has only been asked to follow one rule. BE HONEST!

hence my....."through the cracks" comment. i have never said anything about the reviews being biased....so that can be put to rest. and honestly...you'd would be crazy not provide the equipment at the outings....they provided it to you for review and sharing....it might look kinda bad if you excluded them.

when it's all said and done....it's advertising dollars that make the golf world go round. that is....if you're in the golf business for advertising. i....for one.....don't care. what works for my game is the only thing that matters.

sheep. bother me.

and TMAG has just as many sheep as Acushenet. i'd wager that any day.

My tone was simply conveying the feeling that I have for this situation. I like Titleist equipment fine, though they don't really have much for me. I love one of their older drivers and I play one of their balls (DT SoLO) every now and then. I also am a huge fan of FJ gloves.

I have said it before, THP did NOT get any of this info from Taylormade. It was obtained from different sources on tour. TM would not comment on the story even after we published it.

I didn't say that you did... all I'm saying is that someone was talking out of school. It's entirely possible that this could be traced back to Camilo confiding in a friend who then told another friend...... etc. All I know is that someone blabbed about an issue which should have been confidential, and TM apparently decided to make some hay from it while maintaining an air of innocence. I know nothing about the legalities of the situation, but someone, somewhere, somehow did something that violated that confidentiality, and Acushnet has a right to explore their legal options.

and honestly...you'd would be crazy not provide the equipment at the outings....they provided it to you for review and sharing....it might look kinda bad if you excluded them.

Huh???? Companies are invited to supply new equipment specifically for the outings. Its not up to us.

Back