Shaft Help Needed

made2last

Reaction score
Handicap
Don't have
I have a Taylormade R580 driver head that needs shafting. I'm currently swinging my fairway woods from the tee but miss the driver on the long par 5's. Question: what is a decent/affordable shaft, as I still will be mainly hitting fw from tee.

some info first: my tempo is slow to avg., driver ss is 105.

I'm mainly looking for high launch and avg weight shaft. Thanks.

There are a ton of them. price point? Do you have the opportunity to get a fitting? Ideally, you will want to view launch numbers and find a shaft that will really hit on each aspect for you.

looking in the 50 dollar or less range. I've been hitting into a monitor but without a pro for fitting. Launch angle with a TM Burner 07 9.5* is 10-11.

looking in the 50 dollar or less range. I've been hitting into a monitor but without a pro for fitting. Launch angle with a TM Burner 07 9.5* is 10-11.

Is there a fitter at the place you are hitting into the monitor? Or is there at least a person that can show you the numbers and let you try multiple shafts?

First off,you need more launch,closer to 13-14.105 mph ,i'm suspecting avg ball speeds around 148-155?

Nope. Its called Golf Academy, but its mainly just an indoor practice facility with the launch monitors. They have a few clubs there to hit, nothing like a normal pro shop with demos but a few drivers to experiment. My brother has the TM Burner 07 that I like with a reg. flex stock shaft. The problem I'm having, as you may have guessed, is that there is no one that can help translate the numbers for me. The only thing I get from the monitor are basics, swing speed for shaft flexes, and swing path, which has helped with my out to in swing. But thats as far as I can go, I've only been playing a little over a year, and finding out different things all the time.

First off,you need more launch,closer to 13-14.105 mph ,i'm suspecting avg ball speeds around 148-155?

BigLefty, yes, between 145-155

Can the launch be loft of club or face angle? I'm a newbie, sorry for dumb questions

No dumb questions, people are here to help. Launch angle can be had and changed by many things. Club, swing, shaft, ball, etc...

Can the launch be loft of club or face angle? I'm a newbie, sorry for dumb questions

More than likely has to do with the shaft. Listen to Big he helped me a ton when I was going through shaft problems and he really knows his stuff.

Nothing is dumb, only if you don't ask. Easiest way to increase is with loft,then shaft is used to fine tune it. I'm a firm believer in using higher loft and using shaft to reduce then trying to raise launch with shaft.

Thanks guys. I've read that definately as a newbie, I would be better off getting a high launch shaft at 10.5*. I've swung a Tour Exotics with a high launch shaft at 10.5* but seemed to ballon alot of my drives, might be my swing path. I got this TM R580 head as a gift and wanted to find an affordable way to put it on the course. I have a Cleveland Launcher 3w that I love to tee with, bout 235-250 yds, so it gets me by. I mainly wanted to try something new with the R580 for the time being and invest later with a fitting and a newer club. Thanks again all, I'm trying to soak it in the best I can.

Thanks guys. I've read that definately as a newbie, I would be better off getting a high launch shaft at 10.5*. I've swung a Tour Exotics with a high launch shaft at 10.5* but seemed to ballon alot of my drives, might be my swing path. I got this TM R580 head as a gift and wanted to find an affordable way to put it on the course. I have a Cleveland Launcher 3w that I love to tee with, bout 235-250 yds, so it gets me by. I mainly wanted to try something new with the R580 for the time being and invest later with a fitting and a newer club. Thanks again all, I'm trying to soak it in the best I can.

I've found alot of OEM shafts to be like that. They over compensate with the lauch angle of the shafts to help less adept ball strikers get the ball in the air. Meanwhile someone who can actually hit the ball balloons it. Gotta appeal to the masses! Thats why alot of lines have gone to Standard/TP lines with the only difference being neutral/open club faces and a good shaft.

You might not require a high launch shaft with more loft.Not all,but most high launch shafts will also increase one's spin.You would already be doing that if you choose to move up to a 10.5* head and using the wrong shaft could take your spin up too high

For <$50 shafts you might want to find a local clubmaker and see if he has something pulled from another driver that makes sense. These guys are out there but you might have to dig a little.

For <$50 shafts you might want to find a local clubmaker and see if he has something pulled from another driver that makes sense. These guys are out there but you might have to dig a little.

Didn't even think that, Doh... I'm going to check this weekend

Back