Game improvement irons

BarryG

hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
20-ish
I'd appreciate comments on whether the very latest GI irons are more forgiving than those of 2-3 years ago. Specifically, I originally had my eye on Adams A4OS and wonder if I should pay a bit more and consider Nike SQ MachSpeed or Burner SuperLaunch instead. I suspect that my often borderline iron striking might benefit but would like to hear other opinions.

It depends what someone wants in their irons and where they struggle with ball striking. I think the last year or so companies have found ways to add more forgiveness outside on the toe and higher on the club face (if you miss on the toe or high) without adding weight to the club head and sacrificing balance. The SuperLaunch in particluar does this by having a deep and thick club head that is not tall in stature. It works tremendously in helping one find the sweet spot (which in turn is larger) and help them keep the ball straight.

By going with that club head shape (unconventional) the golfer will experience higher ball flights and more forgiveness and you will see a trend starting as soon as 2011 where more companies use this type of direction in their SGI lines.

I hit the Nike Machspeed and the Nike VR Full Cavity last week. I actually found the VR Full Cavity more forgiving and consistent.

I have my PING G15's which are incredible. Picked up a set of Nickents 3DX's at a steal and tried them. I beleive the DX's are about 2-3 years old. I could tell the difference in the forgiveness of the irons. I hit the newer irons much better. The 3Dx's were still great but not as long as the G15's.

Mi dos pesos.

The irons I just picked up are a great GI set. Mizuno MX-200's. Very forgiving and also give you great feedback when you don't' hit it in the sweetspot.

The irons I just picked up are a great GI set. Mizuno MX-200's. Very forgiving and also give you great feedback when you don't' hit it in the sweetspot.

I just dont see those as GI clubs. I am in the minority, but I consider those to be more of a hybrid (not in teh club sense) of an iron between GI and GE. Smaller head, less offset, thinner topline. Equals one of my favorites. Great set.

You might be right JB. Coming from the musclebacks these look very GI to me but the Adams had a crazy thin top line so these 200's just look thick to me. Hitting them at the range today and I just can't wait to throw some good shafts in them. So do you need my address to send me that Miyazaki C Kua shaft?

Back to the OP. If you want to go real old school look for a nice set of Callaway X-14's. One of my favorite irons of all time.

I hit the Nike Machspeed and the Nike VR Full Cavity last week. I actually found the VR Full Cavity more forgiving and consistent.

I found the same to be true as well and bought a set.

I just dont see those as GI clubs. I am in the minority, but I consider those to be more of a hybrid (not in teh club sense) of an iron between GI and GE. Smaller head, less offset, thinner topline. Equals one of my favorites. Great set.

Definitely a mixture of GE and GI. Hit these puppies thin or on the two and you DEFINITELY feel it (not that I've ever done that)!
I think game improvement irons have definitely improved. They seem to be able to make the club smaller and more traditional while still maintaining an easy to find sweet spot.

I'll throw my support behind the TaylorMade 09 Burners, and as mentioned previously also the Mizuno MX-200s - they are on the lower level of GI, and more of a hybrid as JB pointed out. Both sets are great though.

I agree with JB about MX-200s. They were the perfect fit between GI and GE and a set that I knew I could keep for many years as my game progressed. Plus I love the more traditional look of the club head. But then again... I AM rather biased about those clubs ;-)

The Ping G15i were another option for me and definitely GI

Great club, I have a set myself. Full Cavs with the High Launch shafts are a golfers dream.

I just started golfing and bought the Nickent 3dx rc's for a really cheap price. Love these clubs, until my brother showed up with TM Burner 09 irons. Man at the feel at contact and distance on hits that aren't exactly solid. Like I said, I'm new to the game, but the difference in 08 Nickents to 09 Burners is big.

If Ping would press out the offset in the g15s and put a little better grind on em (for me) id buy 3 sets and be set for bout 8 years lol.

I like the burner irons for GI, also i have a buddy with the Diablo irons and he is crazy about them

I tested a lot of irons this year and three really stood out for forgiveness: Nike Machspeed, Ping G15, and Callaway Diablo Edge. My miss tends to be a slightly fat shot and all of these clubs have wide soles that don't dig in. A chunk is still a chunk but the slight misses lose very little.

I would say these are noticeably more forgiving than clubs I tried 3 to 4 years ago.

I would put the mx 200 in the GI catagory but some of these like the machspeeds and 09 burners would be SGI so in that respect i see where jb and some others are coming from. I'd probably put the 200s in the same catagory as nike full cavs, ap1s, g15s and the 300s in with the I'15s and ap2s. Players irons for me are the split cavities, or the new titleist cbs. They do have forgiveness, just not much lol. I may have to try the splits though after reading the review on here but they sure look pretty unforgiving

I would put the mx 200 in the GI catagory but some of these like the machspeeds and 09 burners would be SGI so in that respect i see where jb and some others are coming from. I'd probably put the 200s in the same catagory as nike full cavs, ap1s, g15s and the 300s in with the I'15s and ap2s. Players irons for me are the split cavities, or the new titleist cbs. They do have forgiveness, just not much lol. I may have to try the splits though after reading the review on here but they sure look pretty unforgiving

You could fit two MX-200 iron heads in one G15. Heck the G15 is more GI than the Burner. Are you basing your classifications on looks only?

You could fit two MX-200 iron heads in one G15. Heck the G15 is more GI than the Burner. Are you basing your classifications on looks only?

yeah, i don't see how the g15's and ap1's can be in a category that doesn't include the burners......even going by looks!

Appreciate all the comments. Wanted to post a follow-up that I just pulled the trigger on a full set of A4OS (3H-LW), lightly used, at about half the price I could find any of the very latest GI/SGI iron sets for.

Enjoy the new sticks! I really like the a3OS irons.

nice pick up barry!!! Post some pics for us when you get the chance

Surprised no one has said Taylormade r9 for GI irons. Id think the burner superlaunch are more of SGI right?

edit: my mistake i thought someone said superlaunch instead of just regular burner irons.

Back