Titleist Seeks Preliminary Injunction Against Taylormade-adidas Golf

Cmon guys dont forget that harness thing they are selling that looks like what Gray Golf has been talking about wearing at PGA National.

lmao nawww dude. The super bra has been put to rest. It does not go well with my smurf outfit :eek:)....

Does anybody feel that the last "issue" with court cases hurt the Titleist brand in the eyes of public opinion? Will this?

I don't think so. I don't think the average golfer knows or cares if he/she does. I know I am not offended by it.

Probably not. Titleist has fierce, blind loyalty that has been carried through generations and will be passed down to other generations.

I have some very interesting Golf Datatech numbers for the last few months. Green Grass (on site) still HUGE and very strong, despite minor declines. But retail (off site) they have REALLY taken a dive over the last few months. And compared over the last 24 months is fairly staggering.

Now do keep in mind that they are FIRMLY still number 1 by a HUGE margin, but trending says quite a bit.

And the company that shunned ball fitting for years is now promoting it and saying "dont worry about off the tee, its around the greens that matter."

I think the once elite group is in a near panic mode if you ask me based on these latest decisions.

There always will be fan boys, but over time if you tick enough people off, things will change. Not to say this will tiock people off. Like v3.0, I'm not offended. I couldn't really care less who plays what. This does not directly affect me. What bothers me is Titleist attitude. They are #1 and they know it. Arrogance will be their down fall. Not sub-par equipment, it will eventually boil down to their attitude IMO.

wow that's interesting.......maybe it makes sense though. Golf is now played by a wider range of different types of players since Tiger came aboard which means exposure to many other brands and their offerings. Maybe Titleist is viewed as your 'dad's golf co' so others are playing more Nike, Callaway, and Taylormade now

I have some very interesting Golf Datatech numbers for the last few months. Green Grass (on site) still HUGE and very strong, despite minor declines. But retail (off site) they have REALLY taken a dive over the last few months. And compared over the last 24 months is fairly staggering.

Now do keep in mind that they are FIRMLY still number 1 by a HUGE margin, but trending says quite a bit.

THIS is what I was curious about. Numbers dont lie.

Keep in mind, Titleist still DOMINATES the ball market. But the marketshare has changed quite a bit over the last 24 months. Certain brands have really krept up and I wonder if news such as this will continue with that trend. It makes you wonder.

While people wont read about these filings and the previous ones in the sports section or many golf magazines, they can be found in biz journals from time to time and golfers read those publications. It makes me wonder what will transpire over the next 60 months or so.

wow that's interesting.......maybe it makes sense though. Golf is now played by a wider range of different types of players since Tiger came aboard which means exposure to many other brands and their offerings. Maybe Titleist is viewed as your 'dad's golf co' so others are playing more Nike, Callaway, and Taylormade now

Well said!

Keep in mind, Titleist still DOMINATES the ball market. But the marketshare has changed quite a bit over the last 24 months. Certain brands have really krept up and I wonder if news such as this will continue with that trend. It makes you wonder.

While people wont read about these filings and the previous ones in the sports section or many golf magazines, they can be found in biz journals from time to time and golfers read those publications. It makes me wonder what will transpire over the next 60 months or so.

Anything is possible.... Time will tell. I wonder how much ball share they have lost to Bridgestone.... There you have opposit ends of the spectrum.

And the company that shunned ball fitting for years is now promoting it and saying "dont worry about off the tee, its around the greens that matter."

I think the once elite group is in a near panic mode if you ask me based on these latest decisions.

Titleist did a ballfitting at the local muni here a few weeks ago, and I wasn't that impressed with their methodology. Asked a couple of questions about my game, what balls I'm currently playing and then gave me samples of the balls that were similar to the balls I currently use and a scorecard to compare both balls.

Doesn't Bridgestone, at a ball fitting, recommend the best ball for you regardless if it's a bridgestone ball or not?

Titleist did a ballfitting at the local muni here a few weeks ago, and I wasn't that impressed with their methodology. Asked a couple of questions about my game, what balls I'm currently playing and then gave me samples of the balls that were similar to the balls I currently use and a scorecard to compare both balls.

Doesn't Bridgestone, at a ball fitting, recommend the best ball for you regardless if it's a bridgestone ball or not?

That is true.

One thing to remember though is that "HE" has not said anything. TM did, THP did, and other media outlets, but not Camilo.

but HE did agree to switch. and HE did cash checks to be a face for 2010. last i checked....it's still august.....lots of golfing months left.

fourputt.....good call. i had that very discussion that you referenced regarding football players and coaches today.

i know this site despises Acushnet and all of it's associations....at any rate....I LOVE MY TITLEIST PROV1x.

but HE did agree to switch. and HE did cash checks to be a face for 2010. last i checked....it's still august.....lots of golfing months left.

fourputt.....good call. i had that very discussion that you referenced regarding football players and coaches today.

i know this site despises Acushnet and all of it's associations....at any rate....I LOVE MY TITLEIST PROV1x.

Camilo has not said a word. Camilo is still being featured in Titleist ads. Camilo is still playing the Cobra clubs in his contract. Camilo is still wearing FJ shoes. Just like his contract says he has to. Camilo is still carrying the Cobra staff bag and playing the Titleist ball per his contract.

Union deals and 1099 deals are very different!

I wont even dignify the other with a response. I think readers will find our reviews of Acushnet products have been extremely fair and unbiased.

I don't know golf contracts too well but do the players have clauses that can release them if certain criteria are met?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know golf contracts too well but do the players have clauses that can release them if certain criteria are met?

Not really. Golfers are independent contractors for the most part. They sign contracts on their own behalf (usually through their agents) and negotiate them on their own as well.

Actually I missed a part in my post. I really don't think THP is biased in any way. Honest yes. Biased no. Reviews and opinions aren't really filtered and suppressed. However the common misconception is that of those views don't jive with consensus or peoples opinions or beliefs then bias exists which is simply not te case

i'd like to see posts where the powers that be at THP have ever said anything that shows despise towards Titleist (and acushnet products). i'm confused by your post SD, a lot actually. the only thing that's ever been said about them as a company by JB or GG, is that they won't bend their policies in order to accomodate theirs. i think that is fair. i'm entitled to my opinions just as much as anyone else on this forum, and a lot of their products just aren't my cup of tea. it would be nice if you would at least explain where your comment came from.

Him signing so early, rather than just a simple verbal agreement 'speaks' volumes, doesnt it?
One thing to remember though is that "HE" has not said anything. TM did, THP did, and other media outlets, but not Camilo.

Him signing so early, rather than just a simple verbal agreement 'speaks' volumes, doesnt it?

Im not sure. We know of 2 others that are about to sign and leave their current deal. Major Players!

I dont think Camilo has done anything wrong whatsoever. The problem lies with TM's press release. Them signing him to a contract is not the problem. None at all. Where is the outcry from Cobra announcing the signing of Edfors last week? Granted not the same level and he did not have an exclusive deal, but still a contract announcement and leaving his current club deals.

TM just should not have put out the release out, but I am sure it was a calculated decision based on the news being out and weighing out the pros and cons. That is on them. I wouldnt have done it. But as 1099 employees go, they have the right to sign and be signed at any time for future services rendered.

who cares when he signs, he's still playing and wearing what he's obligated to and will til the end of the year.

who cares when he signs, he's still playing and wearing what he's obligated to and will til the end of the year.

So if you only got 3 days out of a 6 day car rental and they kept your money anyways would you complain? Would you be a whiner? I mean he basically came out as a tm endorser halfway through his acushnet contract. But on the other hand if tm didn't mention shoes etc and only clubs and acushnet doesn't own cobra then do they really have a point?

So if you only got 3 days out of a 6 day car rental and they kept your money anyways would you complain? Would you be a whiner? I mean he basically came out as a tm endorser halfway through his acushnet contract. But on the other hand if tm didn't mention shoes etc and only clubs and acushnet doesn't own cobra then do they really have a point?

everyone keeps using the word "HE", camilo didn't do anything. he's still abiding by his contract and is filling out his obligations. he's still using cobra irons, still wearing FJ shoes, still playing a Pro V1, "HE" didn't do anything. he signed another deal, and as a 1099 employee, i'm sure has every right to. it's not his fault that TM leaked this information.

I kind of see it now, despite whatever logo he is wearing, TM is better because Camilo said so.[by signing, not actual words]

Back