CalvinG35

One swing at a time
Reaction score
Handicap
We've had so much rain this season it is incredible. With so much rain I need to get some rain gear that can really stand up to the weather. I've been looking for some reviews and have come up short (I apologize if I missed them or any related forums). What special weather gear and equipment do you use? I'm really looking for some affordable rain apparel, but am also looking fo other gear that people have found useful during drizzles and down pours. If thread already exists for this stuff please point me to it.

Thanks!
CalvinG35

We have reviewed the Nike line as well as their rain shoes. We also have about 10 pages on ladies rain gear in the upcoming summer magazine.

If you are determined to play in the rain don't skimp. Price is important but make sure you get a quality rain suit designed for golf and get good waterproof shoes.
Get items that breathe so when the rain lets up for a few minutes you won't be in a sauna.

Leather gloves can get slick so get a glove made for the rain.

If you expect to play in the rain often consider grips with half or full cord; they can be hard on hands and gloves but really improve grip in the wet.

If you are determined to play in the rain don't skimp.
I always say with rain gear that is most important. Doesn't mean you have to break the bank, there is plenty of great stuff to be had on clearance if you can find it. Just don't get the cheap stuff. You are better off in the long run. It isn't something you will use 3 times a week for 10 months out of the year. It will last a long time if you take care of it, better to just get something good to begin with. A good rain jacket could last over 10 years. They look pricey at first, but when you spread the cost out over several years, it isn't too bad.

I have quality rain gear from Footjoy, Nike, and Mizuno. All have done the job and held up well. I would recommend looking at any of those brands, and there are several more that are great as well I'm sure. The biggest thing is the sizing. If you can try them on before that is great. Most have a little extra room built in, but if it cooler and you put a jacket on over a sweater, it might be a little tigher if you got your normal size. I wear a regularmen's large in just about everything, but for the raingear I prefer the XL. Sometimes it is a little loose, but I would rather have that than too tight at times.

If you are determined to play in the rain don't skimp. Price is important but make sure you get a quality rain suit ...

I agree with this statement 100%. That said, of all the golf gear out there, I find rain gear to be the most OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. I can't believe some of the prices of these companies are asking.

I know the OEM's won't like me saying this, but if you want good sturdy serious rain gear go check out Cabelas, Bass Pro or the like. I am not knocking some of the stuff by Nike, Callaway, Footoy and others but they are really beginners in the wet weather game compared to the ourdoor clothing manufactures. I have some really good rain gear that didn't cost me an arm and a leg and i got it at Cabelas. Its light, compact, breathes, and is easy to swing in. They have some stuff that can run into the hundreds of dollars but i bet you can find some in your price range that will work great. The other only other thing I reccomend besides rain gloves is a bucket hat to keep the rain from dripping or rainingdown the back of the neck.

You could also look at Rain Flex by Sun Mountain, have had a suit for a few years now and just love them. What I like about it is when your out in the rain for a long
period it does not seem to get heavy. Have had Footjoy jackets that after awhile they get heavy, won a Nike suit for the THP British Open contest last year, but
living in Arizona I have not had to use it yet.

IMO Sunice makes the best golf rain gear. Very well thought out stuff.

I posted about the USGA Shop clearance sale. There is some rain/wind gear at some good prices currently available.

US Open Rain Jacket

There is a dunning rain gear pant on sale on rock bottom golf for 19.99. If you make an offer you can get it for 15. Waterproof up to 6 hours, Windproof, is what it claims.

apparently it worked for zach johnson at the 08 british

i have the footjoy stuff and it works great. it was expensive at first but its one of those things that i have spread the cost out over multiple years now where some of my friends bought less expensive stuff and have ended up having to replace their stuff and have actually spent much more money than i have over time

I've been researching this myself for a while and haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. I've been looking into some of the tops that are convertible into short sleeve and vests, but then also the pants that become shorts. Anyone have any experience with the convertible ones?

won a Nike suit for the THP British Open contest last year, but
living in Arizona I have not had to use it yet.
Well if you're not using you could make my search a lot quicker :D

has to be Galvin Green.

although i currently use Nike, but after 18 months of lots of use its starting to let in.

scotlands great weather..i had full winter gear on in july..!!!

has to be Galvin Green.

although i currently use Nike, but after 18 months of lots of use its starting to let in.

scotlands great weather..i had full winter gear on in july..!!!

Any way to get Galvin Green on this side of the pond?

Any way to get Galvin Green on this side of the pond?

Sure, there are some sites that sell it online. And a few proshops (resorts) carry it as well. I just did not care for the cut of their gear as much as others did and do.

Sure, there are some sites that sell it online. And a few proshops (resorts) carry it as well. I just did not care for the cut of their gear as much as others did and do.

Thanks for the head's up, I had never heard of these before, some interesting color combos.

i didnt realise it seems to be bigger in europe, and their main site doesnt list any US retailers.

plenty of different options, and i even like their insula range of tops which are good for light rain or wind.

IMO Sunice makes the best golf rain gear. Very well thought out stuff.

I was looking at some of the Hurricane line-up, $360 for just the tops? :shock: Not sure I could get that past the wifey... Nice looking stuff that should last forever though!

OK, so there's some info in gloves, and rain suits. How about bags? I've always assumed carry bags were fairly waterproof, but the last few heavy rains have proved otherwise. My playing partner has a nice Minuzo cary bag that he uses on a pull/push cart. during one down pour he put his umbrella over the top of his bag protecting the heads of the clubs only to discover that the bottom of his bag (and his club grip, extra gloves, etc.) got drenched. In some searching I've found only a couple of explicitly advertised waterproof bags, H2NO from Sun Mountain and StaDry from Titleist. Do you know of anyothers, or even have a reviw of these two?

Thanks

I went to an outdoor shop and bought a spray bottle of water repellent and sprayed it on my bag and it has worked very well. It was called Nikwax and here is a link to their website. http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/index.php

Just wet the bag, spray it on, and let it dry. I've also used their product to refresh some of my rain gear.

zero restriction - the best IMO

My honest opinion here is to be looking at backpacking/camping equipment and not golf equipment.
Retailers like backcountry, EMS, etc usually have 'house brands' that are right up there with the best camping (northface, patagonia) and golf specific brand at a fraction of the price.

In my experience the water proofness (is that even a word) and durability are better in the outdoors sector than in the golfing sector- generally at a better price too.

Looking at the long range forecast this might be needed for the outing.

Suck. I'll be bringing a jacket but no rain pants. I could care less if my legs are dry.

Back