Any runners out there?

Atticus

CMSgt of THP
Reaction score
I have a PT test in a month and I haven't ran for like a year(I know i've been slacking :bulgy-eyes: )... I am basically asking whats the best way to try and get into shape in a month for a 1.5 mile run?

I'm just starting again and used the walk run technique,run for 1 min and then walk for 1 min.Build it up to R2 W1 then keep increasing it,after a month I can run for 30mins no worries.
Either that or google 5k training plan for beginners and follow that.

I remember those days. I was 82nd airborne and we ran everywhere! The only thing I can tell you is to start hydrating now and get some reps in everyday. I would try to run the full distance atleast twice a week with the other days maybe being half. Don't over do it in the beginning though just build up to it. Good luck!

I'm a big runner, if you're starting from scratch the main thing is to not train too hard and hurt yourself in the beginning

Look for a "first 5k" or "couch to 5k" training program on the web, basically I'd say to start running 4 days or so a week, alternating from doing longer slow runs, to running shorter distances at faster speeds.

unfortunately a month isn't a long time to train, but on the bright side 1.5 miles isn't that far so you can make a pretty big improvement

I'd say, you should get to where you can run at least 3 miles at a good pace and that'll put you in great shape for the 1.5. training to go farther than you have to run during the actual test will help you out a lot.

Try to get in some HIIT (high intensity interval training) with sprints and rests to increase your lung capacity. The intervals can be distances or times depending on what is at your disposal. My favorite is running telephone poles: sprint to one, jog to the next, and walk one... repeat until tired or your sprint becomes the same speed as your jog.

Find a football field with a hill next to hit.

mondays wedensdays fridays.
run 6 gassers( run the width down, back, down back)
next run the hill, make sure its fairly tall.
after that run 6 field width sprints and after each sprint run up the hill in a continuous sprint.
6 bear crawls up the hill.

tuesdays
walk 3 miles on a treadmill, or around a track. try and get it done in about an hour but whatever time is fine.

thursdays
run one mile at any pace but whatever pace you set try and improve your time each week.

saturdays/sundays
rest/core exercises.

yesterday I ran the 1.5 mile in 16 mins I need to take about 3-4 mins off in a month. I had to stop and walk 1 time for about 50 yards time during the run and I think that is what hurt my time. I think ill be ok once I get back into the running grove. thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.

Only time I run is if I need to run for my life.

I'm running a 10k in September.

I've not started training properly yet. I'm quite fit, but running distance just kills me. Motivation is my problem.

I'm running a 10k in September.

I've not started training properly yet. I'm quite fit, but running distance just kills me. Motivation is my problem.

Im the same I hate running... push ups and sit ups are cake for me but I just hate running lol

Im the same I hate running... push ups and sit ups are cake for me but I just hate running lol

Exactly my thoughts. I can knock out hundreds of sit ups, but ask me to go running and I just think of sore knees and the bit where you turn around and have half the run left to just get home!

well I hope whoever/whatever's chasing you runs even less than you do so you escape!!!!!!!

If in a group, you only have to be faster than the slowest person in that situation.

I know people that love to run and I just dont get it. I think it sucks. Its bad for your knees and joints. Makes you feel crappy and tired. Why run when you can drive? lol

In all seriousness I just dont like it. I'll do a treadmill if I can watch TV to keep my mind off the complete and udder boredom of the task. Then you get off that thing and your legs are weird and messed up.

i tried to get in to it a few years ago. I wanted to run in a 5k, I trained for about 6 weeks from March to April. Then it got nice and I started golfing instead of running. By time the race came 4th of July I was struggling to run it. I ran a mile the night before and it was the first mile I ran from Mid April. I finished the race and haven't really run more than 5 times since. I just get too bored with it.

I know people that love to run and I just dont get it. I think it sucks. Its bad for your knees and joints. Makes you feel crappy and tired. Why run when you can drive? lol

In all seriousness I just dont like it. I'll do a treadmill if I can watch TV to keep my mind off the complete and udder boredom of the task. Then you get off that thing and your legs are weird and messed up.

the whole "it ruins your knees" thing is way overblown, and the more research that comes out the more it's also looking to be false

there are plenty of runners who have been booking tons of miles for 20-30 years who are just fine, and there have been quite a few studies that actually say that runners actually are less likely to get the arthritis/joint issues than a person with a more sedentary lifestyle (but this is likely due to the runners being less fat than non runners)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/running/article694153.ece
http://beginners.runnersworld.com/2009/12/will-running-ruin-my-knees.html
http://www.examiner.com/x-19794-Boston-Triathlon-Examiner~y2010m1d2-Is-running-bad-for-your-knees

I'm not sure why running would make you feel crappy and tired, when I finish a run I feel great and energized. Actually after just about any workout I feel pretty good in general (don't get me wrong, the day after running a marathon is not fun... but after a normal mid week workout I feel great)

treadmills do suck, and they're much easier than running in the real world. You've got to have a nice place to run though, I've got some nice paths near my place and a park I go use to run hills at. as long as I'm somewhere nice I'm good to go.

im currently in training for a half marathon in september.

aiming for 1:45 time so im currently running 7 miles at pace once a week, with shorter faster 3 mile runs in between.
every 2nd week i up the distance so i should be at 10 miles before the event which means the extra 3 should be cake :)

i really dont like running either, and if it wasnt for charity i dont think i would be doing it. on the plus side i do find that after you get past the pain of the first couple miles you just get into a rhythm and you can just keep going. ive suprised myself with just how much energy i have at the end of my distance and this makes me think running is a lot about mental conditioning and not just physical.

good luck with the run, you will manage it no probs. remember and get some good carbs and protein in you, nutrition is just as important as a good training regime..

Only time I run is if I need to run for my life.

haha...I was thinking the same thing. If a bear is chasing me or maybe a velociraptor...or I have been known to run from my car to the door if the beer store is about to close

I'd love to get back into it! I have to start slow though.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

that's the key thing, many people start up too fast and too far
take your time beginning, even do run/walks maybe depending on what shape you're starting out on

for many people just getting going, run for a couple minutes/walk for one is a great starting point (of course depending on your current condition that may be too easy though)

a good way to check your pace is to make sure you could be having a conversation while running, if you're getting yourself out of breath you may be going too fast

===== QUOTE Golf Chick ====

===== /QUOTE ====

that's the key thing, many people start up too fast and too far
take your time beginning, even do run/walks maybe depending on what shape you're starting out on

for many people just getting going, run for a couple minutes/walk for one is a great starting point (of course depending on your current condition that may be too easy though)

a good way to check your pace is to make sure you could be having a conversation while running, if you're getting yourself out of breath you may be going too fast

Thanks for the tip. I walked over 4 miles the other day, but when I walk, I walk fast so hopefully that will help with the running! Will def have a slow start!!

Just went out for the first time in about 2 weeks. Did a google map and apparently I did 5.2k. Felt more like 52k. Good news is that I feel fine afterward (when everything eventually stopped spinning - but it was spinning clockwise - that's fine, right?), apart from a sore back.

Back