Alexis Thompson, getting the "shaft."

Im conflicted on this. Because the other option would be to not turn pro. She knew the rules going in of course. But I also think they are handling it from a PR perspective pretty poorly.

Im conflicted on this. Because the other option would be to not turn pro. She knew the rules going in of course. But I also think they are handling it from a PR perspective pretty poorly.

Agreed JB, it's just too bad we wont get to see her play.

I won't be watching simply because of this. Take that, LPGA!

Agreed on all statements. Just like the Masters. Stay amateur, play in it. Turn pro the following Monday.

And, I don't think her record in pro events warrants an exemption.

2010 Evian Masters T2

Tournament 2007 2008 2009 2010
Kraft Nabisco Championship DNP DNP T31 T24
U.S. Women's Open CUT CUT T54 T10

For that matter, her amateur career doesn't warrant an exemption. Yes, she was all the AJGA stuff. But, she didn't dominate the USGA events.

Amateur career (taken from Wiki

In 2007, as a 12-year-old, she became the youngest player to qualify for the U.S. Women's Open. She shot 86-82 and failed to make the cut.[7] In 2007, she also won the Aldila Junior Classic to become the second-youngest winner in AJGA. She also won the Westfield Junior PGA Championship to become the youngest winner in Junior PGA Championship history.[8]
In 2008, she won the United States Girls' Junior Golf Championship. She qualified again in 2008 for U.S. Women's Open where she shot 75-87 and failed to make the cut by two strokes.
As a 14-year-old, she qualified for a third time for the U.S. Women's Open and made the cut for the first time, finishing tied for 34th.[9] Later that year she Monday-qualified for the Navistar LPGA Classic, where she shot 65 in the first round and finished at T27, 12 strokes behind winner Lorena Ochoa.[10]
In 2010, she represented the winning United States team in the Curtis Cup competition. She turned pro the next week. She stated she believes her game is ready to make the jump to the LPGA Tour[11]. Lacking official status as an LPGA Tour member, Thompson would have to rely on sponsors' exemptions to gain entry into tournaments.
[edit]Amateur highlights
2007 second round, United States Girls' Junior Golf Championship
2007 quarterfinalist, United States Women's Amateur Golf Championship
2008 Won - United States Girls' Junior Golf Championship (final 5 & 4 over Karen Chung)
2009 third round, United States Girls' Junior Golf Championship
2009 semifinalist, United States Women's Amateur Golf Championship

I just dont understand the outcry. Is it because she finished 2nd? Or is it because she is 15? I think a combination.

I just dont understand the outcry. Is it because she finished 2nd? Or is it because she is 15? I think a combination.

The only thing that bothers me is having the qualifier the day after the US Open. She obviously wanted to play in the open as a pro, but then she couldn't make the qualifier. In the end she knew the rules, and she made her decision probably counting on receiving an exemption. Now its time to act like a "pro" and take your lumps. I think the LPGA learned their lesson with Michelle Wie.

The only thing that bothers me is having the qualifier the day after the US Open. She obviously wanted to play in the open as a pro, but then she couldn't make the qualifier. In the end she knew the rules, and she made her decision probably counting on receiving an exemption. Now its time to act like a "pro" and take your lumps. I think the LPGA learned their lesson with Michelle Wie.

Why couldnt she make it? I mean a hassle yes, but I am still trying to figure out why she couldnt make it, like everybody is reporting. They have flights and charters all the time. The men had to do this for the US Open. She could have stayed an amateur and none of this would have been an issue. Instead she turned pro (nothing wrong with that), but she has to follow the same rules as the rest now.

Why couldnt she make it? I mean a hassle yes, but I am still trying to figure out why she couldnt make it, like everybody is reporting. They have flights and charters all the time. The men had to do this for the US Open.

You're correct , I worded that wrong.

Like I said she was counting on an exemption and got burnt, now she has to live with her decision. Once again I don't agree with not giving her an exemption but she can't be upset about it.

I don't like stories like this. Making a big deal out of something that really isn't. Shouldn't the story be that she is 15 and finished second last weekend? To me that is a huge accomplishment and is definitely worthy of press, but making a big deal about this just seems silly. Everyone knows the rules when you turn pro this should be no different.

You're correct , I worded that wrong.

Like I said she was counting on an exemption and got burnt, now she has to live with her decision. Once again I don't agree with not giving her an exemption but she can't be upset about it.

I dont see any way in which she could have been given an exemption. No way at all. This is the British Open and not a regular tournament. You dont hand out exemptions to rookie players with no wins. It just should not be done that way.

I dont see any way in which she could have been given an exemption. No way at all. This is the British Open and not a regular tournament. You dont hand out exemptions to rookie players with no wins. It just should not be done that way.

I just think it would be good for golf and the LPGA to have her play, but I can't disagree being that this is an open tournament.

She knew this was going to happen when she decided to turn pro right? I don't see what the big deal is.

She's missing a tournament. Is the next article gunna be about getting her period? She's 15. She'll have many more chances to play in the tournament before I play in one.

She's missing a tournament. Is the next article gunna be about getting her period? She's 15. She'll have many more chances to play in the tournament before I play in one.
I sure hope not!

I think taking the ladies exemptions away because you turn pro is a bit stupid. She still earned her way into the tourney and the rule should be changed.

This is the reason rules, and laws for that matter, must be enforced but on a case by case basis. If its good for the sport (it clearly is) then give her the exemption. You can't shoot yourself in the foot because it's a rule.

I think taking the ladies exemptions away because you turn pro is a bit stupid. She still earned her way into the tourney and the rule should be changed.

This is the reason rules, and laws for that matter, must be enforced but on a case by case basis. If its good for the sport (it clearly is) then give her the exemption. You can't shoot yourself in the foot because it's a rule.

My question for both is did you feel the same way about the guys on the PGA Tour that missed the US Open because of the similar rule.

Here are my thoughts. She is freaking 15 years old. Nobody told her she had to turn pro. She got exemptions as an amateur (same exemptions that got her into other majors) and decided to take the money. All this talk about "she couldnt qualify" by the media out there is completely wrong. Why couldnt she qualify? Sure it was the next day, but it always is the next day. It was for the men, remember Justin Rose? Get on a charter or jet with your money you earned from turning pro rather than staying an amateur and go qualify.

I dont think you can look at rules on a case by case basis because then there are debates that happen about why this guy instead of this guy. The fact is despite being a fan favorite to many because she is only 15, she has done very little to even be considered for an exemption.

Given an exemption, she might end up bumping out a qualifying pro trying to make enough money to see them through. That would have been worse.

I don't see the big deal and I'm surprised there is a 2 page thread on this. There are more important things going on right now ....... I wonder what OEM bought today? lol

Last edited:
My question for both is did you feel the same way about the guys on the PGA Tour that missed the US Open because of the similar rule.

Here are my thoughts. She is freaking 15 years old. Nobody told her she had to turn pro. She got exemptions as an amateur (same exemptions that got her into other majors) and decided to take the money. All this talk about "she couldnt qualify" by the media out there is completely wrong. Why couldnt she qualify? Sure it was the next day, but it always is the next day. It was for the men, remember Justin Rose? Get on a charter or jet with your money you earned from turning pro rather than staying an amateur and go qualify.

I dont think you can look at rules on a case by case basis because then there are debates that happen about why this guy instead of this guy. The fact is despite being a fan favorite to many because she is only 15, she has done very little to even be considered for an exemption.

Amen!!!!!!!!

Agreed as well.

There are certainly a fair amount of problems and issues that will arise when someone turns pro at such a young age and they need to be anticipated and accepted.

The rules were written in an era when turning pro at the age of 15 wasn't considered and because of that, situations such as this tend to fall into gray areas that the rules don't specifically cover.

If turning pro at a younger age is to be the future, then perhaps it's time to change some of those rules. But to make exceptions or to change individual rules to suit individual situations will only serve to open a Pandora's box that needn't be opened.

She has her whole life ahead of her and this one little hiccup shouldn't matter and if it does, then it only proves that she wasn't ready in the first place. My advice to her would be that she has her whole life to be an adult, but she's only a teenager once -- enjoy it while you can.

-JP

She shouldnt be allowed to turn pro at 15 anyway! Just my opinion

She's a great player to watch and it too bad that we won't get to see her :(

Back