Which (past or present) Professional Golfer had/has the best shortgame?

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
me and a regular golfing buddy always argue about this. well, we don't argue but we always come back to this discussion. personally, i believe that it's phil. but then we discuss whether or not putting is part of the shortgame and for the sake of this discussion we will say that it's not! putting would put phil out of it imo, so we're not putting putting into the mix.

anyway, i've always loved phils' creativity and his feel for shots. my buddy loves seve. i do to, don't get me wrong. so who do you like, and why?

Tom Watson had one of the best short games ever, IMO.

For me it would be hard to pick between Seve and Phil for a short game, but I'll take Jack for putting any day.

For me it would be hard to pick between Seve and Phil for a short game, but I'll take Jack for putting any day.

No one made more putts when it was showtime than he did. He wasn't the best putter ever, but in the clutch no one was better.

For the record, I think Crenshaw was the best putter ever, overall. He just never put himself in the position enough to make the clutch putts like Jack did.

I'll take Seve on this one. The man can just create and he was a decent putter. Phil with a wedge is deadly but his putting is not his strong suit. Jack is a big time putter so no qualms there. How about most underrated short game/putter? Pavin is real underrated.

I have not followed golf long enough to have seen much of Seve. Also, since putting is out of it, I have to go with Phil. He helped make the short game cool again, when most of the discussion was on driving distances. Not that he can't drive a ball with the best of them. His shots are what I like to try if I am fooling around on the practice area.

If it were strictly putting I would say Jack simply because he is the greatest clutch putter of all time. Tiger is close but I would give the edge to Jack right now. If it were strictly pitches and chips I would give the edge to Seve. Greatest troubleshot artist of all time. Phil is great but Seve was an artist. But since short game is all of those this is tough. I think I would have to go Brad Faxon here.

Phil for wedge game overall. Tiger for putting inside of 10 feet.

I want to say Tom Watson. But I once watched Phil hole 2 out of 5 bunker shots on a practice green at the olympic club........ right handed.
Why aren't we including putting?
Tiger has to be the best clutch putter of all time.
But Loren Roberts had the silky-est smoothest putting stroke back in the 90's.

i guess we are including putting. tiger is hands down the best clutch putter of all time.

at the moment Phil is hands down the best. man is a freakin magician with his wedges

With putting being removed from the equation it is Phil without a doubt. He amazes and baffles me; sometimes on the same shot.

Phil's wedge game is top notch

1- Seve
2- Phil without puttiing/ Tiger with putting
3- Gene Sarazan (not thhe best, but ceartainly the most important)

I would consider short game 115 yards in, so all things considered I would say Tiger. But they are many different greats for all the facets, but the total package = Tiger.

Phil. His wedgeplay is 2nd to none.

Tiger as the best if both wedgeplay and putting is included. Seve if we are only talking wedgeplay...when he played the guy was a magician with so much creativity around the greens. I'll take Phil 3rd if we ignore his putting.

I don't understand why putting is separated from this conversation. To me, "Short Game" is everything inside 100 yards.

But, since putting is separate, I'd have to put Phil on the top of the "Wedge" list with Tiger, Seve and Tom Kite (one of the best short game players ever), right behind.

As far as the best "Money" putters out there, Jack and Tiger hold that honor hands down.

But the best "Short Game" player out there (as far as MY definition of Short game goes), I'd have to say that the player who "has it all" inside 100 yards is Tiger, by a mile.

-JP

Back