When is the last time Ping won a major?

staticline

Reaction score
Handicap
I've got Ping irons and love them. It's my 3rd set of them in 30+ years of golf. But, on tour, they been pretty quiet in the majors. Of course, Callaway (Phil) and Nike (Tiger) have been stealing most of that thunder.

So, when was that last time a Ping club was in a winners bag, before Louis Oos (shrek)?

How about Cabrera or on the ladies Nordqvist.

How about Cabrera or on the ladies Nordqvist.

I'm trying to get on the ping.com site right now. Server seems to be a little busy.

All those new orders for PING sticks. :act-up:

My guess would be Cabrera. I say good for Ping. They make quality stuff and deserve to win a major at least every now and then.

I know Cabrera was the last. You should also look at regular tourneys, Bubba just won a couple of weeks ago. Hunter Mahan is usually in the hunt with his sticks. Ping makes a quality product and they seem to hold their own on tour.

Don't forget Westwood and how good he hits the Pings

Ironically they said that last year too.

surely, he'll get it done though, right? i mean, 6 top 3's in the last 11 majors, you would think that just by law of averages he'd have one or two by now. i can't figure out why this guy can't close the door.

He needs to play the last 3 rounds, instead of the first 3!

I think he will do it, but he needs a little luck on the final day. Sounds kinda like the same thing people were saying about Monty for years though.

He needs to play the last 3 rounds, instead of the first 3!

I think he will do it, but he needs a little luck on the final day. Sounds kinda like the same thing people were saying about Monty for years though.

i would agree completely paulo. i thought he played well at st. andrews in his final round, and the same at the masters. he just doesn't seem to go low in those rounds. he hovers at one or two under or even par in those final rounds, when he needs to shoot four, five and six under. i also hope tht he gets it done. i believe that once he wins one, it could be the start of a handful.

Ping is having a tremendous year, Oost, Mahan, Jimenez, Westwood, Bubba, Mahan. Munoz on LPGA is running to be the rookie of the year.

They have probably 1/4th the number of staff players of Taylor Made yet they are picking really good ones. They are all classy players as well.

Ping is having a tremendous year, Oost, Mahan, Jimenez, Westwood, Bubba, Mahan. Munoz on LPGA is running to be the rookie of the year.

They have probably 1/4th the number of staff players of Taylor Made yet they are picking really good ones. They are all classy players as well.

Slightly different staff deals too. TM staff deals do not always include 12-14 club deals. Ping deals take up much more than that. Totally different type of contract.

Slightly different staff deals too. TM staff deals do not always include 12-14 club deals. Ping deals take up much more than that. Totally different type of contract.

Hmm could you go a little further into detail I don't full understand the business side and I am quite curious.

Callaway is having a great year as well.....

same here, love to hear about that side of the game

QUOTE=JRod;327372]Hmm could you go a little further into detail I don't full understand the business side and I am quite curious.[/QUOTE

[]

Think he means the ping guys win with mostly ping clubs while some taylormade guys only play with a couple of taylormade clubs. i.e. brian gay has mizuno irons at last check

===== QUOTE JB ====

===== /QUOTE ====

Hmm could you go a little further into detail I don't full understand the business side and I am quite curious.

Sure, all companies sign players to contracts. Some are full 14 club deals in which they have to play all 14 clubs in the bag from that brand and others are different deals. Companies like Taylormade and Cleveland are known to do deals that are as little as a driver, staff bag, and visor (Brian Gay) or driver and irons (Dustin Johnson) whereas other companies such as Ping or Nike rarely sign these kind of deals and normally have most of their players in at 13 or 14, or at least a minimum deal at 11. Different styles depending on what a brand is trying to promote.

From there, there are also very unique deals for wedges, putters, and balls. Not only do companies do sponsorships for these deals on a smaller scale, but players are also involved in a winners pool, that rewards them based on performance. Some companies, such as Titleist for balls wedges and putters, footjoy for shoes, taylormade for driver, etc pay millions to make sure they can be called "the most used on tour". Winners pools and sponsorships are a huge deal.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Sure, all companies sign players to contracts. Some are full 14 club deals in which they have to play all 14 clubs in the bag from that brand and others are different deals. Companies like Taylormade and Cleveland are known to do deals that are as little as a driver, staff bag, and visor (Brian Gay) or driver and irons (Dustin Johnson) whereas other companies such as Ping or Nike rarely sign these kind of deals and normally have most of their players in at 13 or 14, or at least a minimum deal at 11. Different styles depending on what a brand is trying to promote.

From there, there are also very unique deals for wedges, putters, and balls. Not only do companies do sponsorships for these deals on a smaller scale, but players are also involved in a winners pool, that rewards them based on performance. Some companies, such as Titleist for balls wedges and putters, footjoy for shoes, taylormade for driver, etc pay millions to make sure they can be called "the most used on tour". Winners pools and sponsorships are a huge deal.

Wow. Good stuff JB I learned something today.

From what I could tell PING is poised for a win or two this weekend on the various tours.

Awesome thanks alot, guess I never realized there were deals like that. Other than balls, shoes, and clothes I thought you were playing all the same clubs. Good to know.

Back