Ping - Regions Cup Tournament

Slammin'SAM

Never a flatbelly
Reaction score
Handicap
Rare play
Today was the first round of this annual amateur event at my home course Gordon Lakes. I actually got out this week and played three afternoon 9's to try to prepare a bit, since this is my first stroke play event of the year. And the heat has been brutal, reaching 100 and humid every day.

I was lucky enough to get an early (0755) tee time, and was paired with two other members of Gordon Lakes. I managed to get off to an ugly start, driving in a fairway bunker and bogeying the first, then hitting into a mass of roots and double bogeying the second. +3 after 2 holes, I ripped a long one off the par 5 3rd tee, and took another driver and put it on the green 20 feet from eagle. I made a nice soft stroke at the fast downhill downgrain putt, and she went in center cut - EAGLE! I played the rest of the Pine View 9 in even par for a 37, and after two bogeys in the first four holes of the Island View back nine, I chipped in for birdie to get back to +2 on my round. From there I made four pretty easy pars to finish that nine with another 37, and a decent round of 74 (+2). Not bad scoring for a truly indifferent day of ball striking (7 of 14 fairways hit, 9 greens in reg, 29 putts). I didn't stay to see where that is gonna fall, but I am guessing it will be a top ten score.

Nice round. I have played that course a couple of time. Very nice.

nice round sammy! good luck the rest of the way!

Great scoring Sam! I hope it ends up well in the rankings.

This is not the result I wanted to report.

I was right about the top ten - the lead was 68,70,72,73,73,73 - and I was in a six way tie for 7th at 74. Since I feel strongly -1 or E will be a good two day score, I was in the hunt.

Yesterday afternoon I got overheated doing yard work, and spent the evening feeling queasy and ill. That was followed by a night of repeated leg cramps and poor sleep. I got up and went out for my 0830 tee time, and I had a great pairing with two good guys, one a member of my weekly gaggle and the other an old friend from my tournament playing days. But as soon as I got on the range, I knew I was in big trouble - it was all I could do to keep standing. I hit about ten balls, but was terribly shaky. I gave up and went back inside to await my tee time. When the time came I went out, but the opening tee shot, which was a simple 3W on the dogleg first, I nearly hit it off the neck of the club. It was pulled into the swampy woods short of the corner - by some miracle it was found, but I nearly whiffed my attempt to pitch it back to the fairway. Then I took a penalty drop out, and when the carnage was done I had an 8. At the second tee, shakier yet, I yanked it into the left trees, but it fell out maybe 120 off the tee. I punched a 7 iron over the corner trap, but it also caught a tree and fell into the deep rough about 80 yards from the green. I gouged two more shots to the left fringe, then nearly chipped in and left with a 6. When we went to the third tee, I knew I was done - I couldn't even force myself up the 8 foot hill to the teeing area. I told the guys I couldn't go on, that this was worse than a chore - I could tell from their expressions I must of looked as sick as I felt. I came home and stretched out with my fan on the computer room carpet, and didn't stir for about 5 hours. I feel a little better now but completely washed out. I can tell you one thing - heat exhaustion is a b****.

wow sorry to hear that sammy, glad your feeling better now

Back