PING Anser Forged Irons

staticline

Reaction score
Handicap
Initial release in Japan as forged is seen as high quality and cast is not. No U.S. release date as of yet. MSRP $1,440 (and I think that is for 5-PW!). Don't expect these to go on sale, either. PING's agreements with shops do not allow for selling PING gear for less than what PING says to sell it for.

Golf.Com Ping Forged Irons

From Golf Magazine (August, 2010)
In 1967, Ping received a patent for its breakthrough Anser putter. It’s also the last time that the company sold forged irons (100 Anser sets). The new Anser, a forged multi-material iron, is designed to raise Ping’s profile among avid single-digit handicappers in Japan, Korea and other Asian markets. (Ping iron sales in Asia are relatively weak by Ping’s U.S. standards). Of course, Ping expects its share of converts in the States, too. The U.S. version, for the record, has an identical head design as the Asian model, the same shaft length, a 1-degree weaker loft per club, and the Project X shaft.

As expected, the clubhead materials and overall design package contribute to a softer, quieter impact sensation. The forged "8620 carbon steel" clubface is thick behind the hitting area, similar to a muscleback blade, while a "support bar" (just below the oval "custom tuning port") connects the face to the back flange. A heavy tungsten-nickel sole (22 percent of clubhead mass) serves many functions, too: It dampens vibration more so than less-dense metals (aka steel), shifts the club's center of gravity more rearward (to increase ball trajectory), and boosts overall forgiveness. The forgiveness bit ties into a hollow cavity (behind the lower portion of the face) that redistributes 30 grams away from the face. The Anser has forgiveness qualities that are similar to the i15's, but the Anser looks cleaner, feels noticeably smoother, produces more spin on short irons and flies slightly lower in the long irons.

From The Shop blog (March, 2010)
MIAMI — Two weeks ago in Phoenix, before the start of the PGA Tour's Waste Management Open at TPC Scottsdale, several Ping staff players had a chance to see, hit and learn about the new Anser irons.

Matt Rollins, a Ping tour representative, said Monday, "The clubs are as forgiving as our i15 irons, but they are a little sleeker looking and they've got the word 'Forged' on the back, which we've never had."

For gearheads and Ping fans, that single word, forged, will raise eyebrows.

Ping has always made cast irons, a process that involves creating extremely-detailed molds and then filling them with liquid metal to create the clubheads. (Click here to see a video showing how Ping casts clubs.)

To make forged irons, a piece of metal is heated and then hammered or pressed into shape.

"We've been talking about making a forged iron for while," Rollins said. "But for our guys, it's kind of funny. Once we put chrome on a cast club, people thought it was forged.

"They are only available in Japan right now," Rollins said. "They might release it in the United States later, but I don't know." He explained that in the Japanese market, irons need to be forged in order to be perceived as high quality. Irons that are not forged simply don't sell well.

While not a super game-improvement iron, the Anser irons feature plenty of perimeter weighting and tungsten in the sole to help players get the ball into the air more easily. The PING badge on the back of the club is a weight that can be changed as part of the fitting process.

As more information about the Ping Anser irons becomes available, we'll pass it on.

$1,440, steel, ping.com

Read more: http://www.golf.com/golf/equipment/article/0,28136,1972121,00.html#ixzz0uLC7jI7t

:bulgy-eyes: Beautiful!

they look nice. I would love to hit them.

No doubt they will be top notch, everything Ping puts out is, but 1440$? Ouch.

who in their right mind would spend that much money on a set of irons? i think it's absurd. they are beautiful and i'm sure they are quality, but that's ridonkulous.

who in their right mind would spend that much money on a set of irons? i think it's absurd. they are beautiful and i'm sure they are quality, but that's ridonkulous.

Its funny when these were first rumored, Ping made it VERY Clear to us that they were Japan only. Then they clearly decided to bring them here. Ping fans will spend it. Just like they did for the high end Rapture line when it debuted. Ping fans are VERY loyal for the most part and have been waiting for this day for quite a while.

But I still go back to a few things. This company has marketed for a decade that forged is about marketing. Yet now they are going to do the marketing as well.

the crazy thing is, I have sold people irons that cost over 1,000. Taylormade CGB Max with graphite shafts were going for 1299, also sold Rapture graphite shafted irons for around the same. I would never spend that much on irons...although if I did I would use them for 15 years haha

What makes the raptures so expensive?? Do tfhey perform better that the othed irons they make?

I think when they came out they were the only irons with a titanium face. I think with steel shafts they were about 999

What makes the raptures so expensive?? Do tfhey perform better that the othed irons they make?

They are not that expensive anymore. They base their price on R&D, Supply & Demand, etc...

Its funny when these were first rumored, Ping made it VERY Clear to us that they were Japan only. Then they clearly decided to bring them here. Ping fans will spend it. Just like they did for the high end Rapture line when it debuted. Ping fans are VERY loyal for the most part and have been waiting for this day for quite a while.

But I still go back to a few things. This company has marketed for a decade that forged is about marketing. Yet now they are going to do the marketing as well.

i suppose they just don't want to miss the boat. it is suspect and i'm sure they are eating their words about all the forged stuff, clearly!

the crazy thing is, I have sold people irons that cost over 1,000. Taylormade CGB Max with graphite shafts were going for 1299, also sold Rapture graphite shafted irons for around the same. I would never spend that much on irons...although if I did I would use them for 15 years haha

you're a member of THP and friends with OEM kevin, so i say no way you would.

you're a member of THP and friends with OEM kevin, so i say no way you would.

I'm on year 3 with my current set...irons I don't mind sticking with, drivers and wedges they go often

I don't think they expected the amount of success that the various forged cavity backs are having. All brands included.

JB correct me if i am wrong as you are the master of all things new in our world, didnt Ping just come out with a new set of forged irons, also are any of their pros playing these?

As far as I know (And I'm not JB) but I believe their staffers play the S57's and I15's, and KJ Choi has been known to bust out the g15's.

dude KJ busted out that crazy stand beside and hit it forward putter also i dont think we should count him in this count

JB correct me if i am wrong as you are the master of all things new in our world, didnt Ping just come out with a new set of forged irons, also are any of their pros playing these?

As far as I know (And I'm not JB) but I believe their staffers play the S57's and I15's, and KJ Choi has been known to bust out the g15's.

You guys are both correct. Most are using the irons mentioned above, but a few have been trying out the new Forged irons that are being spoken about here.

Daniel Chopra and Ted Purdy played them in the Valero Texas Open.

Westwood still plays the i10's

i think the Open Champ Louis Oosthuizen played the s56 this past week

Its nice to see Ping get in the forged iron market. More competition makes all the manufacturers work harder to constantly one-up each other. I was very surprised to see them come out with forged irons, considering they have always said that cast is just as good as forged.

Just a tad cleaner than the i15's IMO. I bet they don't play $800 better.

Ping Anser Forged

Ping Anser Forged

I had a chance to try the new Ping Anser Forged irons couple days ago on a local demo day. I am not a Ping iron fan, but these were quite nice. They only had the 7 iron and a wedge, but they actualy felt good. Distance was not super long but it may be becaused it launched much higher than my X-22 tours.
Anyway overall they were nice, and I am so regretting not taking pictures!

Anyone else like these?

Back