Taylormade Burner SuperFast Experiment

I had demo'd this cumb a bunch of times and finally went and ordered it....Should be here tuesday Ah im so excited. 9.5 stiff woo hoo.

I"m currently tryin the superfast to see if it will replace my r9 460. So far it looks like under its current setup it will NOT be taking that spot in my bag. The extra 10-20 yards I'm seeing so far is not worth the extra 4-5 fairways i'm missing currently. The extra 1.5 inches is too much for me. I just can't turn the club head over and found my self hitting these big slices instead of my usual gentle draw. So i'm gonna chop an inch off and see where I go from there.
Edit: Someone earlier asked about its forgivenes. It's actually the largest face ever on their burner series (yet the most aero dynamic?) I found shots off the edges of the face to be very forgiving. However with the longer shaft I found the forgivness of the club head only works if you hit the ball on the club head.
Once I slowed my swingand temp down I was crushing the ball. But by the 9 hole I felt that I was carrying two swings yeasterday. (My driver swing and everything else)

thanks for the update snap hook! let me know for sure how that extra inch chopped off works out!

thanks for the update snap hook! let me know for sure how that extra inch chopped off works out!

I'm swinging with a slower tempo and a legitimate pause at the top of my swing to compensate for the longer shaft. My friends actually liked my swing better yesterday. I was able to contain the driver by the back 9 and was hitting long straight drives with a very fluid longer swing compared to my usual quick slashing tempo. It just felt that I couldn't really "go after the ball" if I really wanted to. Any time I swun hard I'ld leave the ball a mile to the right. And I havn't even started trying to move the ball (draws and fades) like I could with my old driver.

oh i see. i will be keeping an eye out for your posts and see how your liking it or not liking it lol.

Hey Snaphook, what shaft are you playing and what is your swingspeed? I had the same problem and really slowed my swing. I was only swinging at 90 mph so I changed from the stock stiff to a regular shaft @ 46". Now I'm probably around 95 mph with much more confidence. This baby is giving the best results I've ever had.

Edit: I also discovered I had to snap my wrists earlier and stronger when playing the longer shaft, plus put it slightly more forward in my stance. Just and FYI to try out.

by the way have you looked down at teh superfast. I Love the the way this thing looks from address. Its got the red line outlining the "upper Crown" which is smaller than the base of the driver. The lower base tends to blend in and look like a "shadow" making the club seem MUCH smaller than it actually is. To me that's a good thing. I think I've got a pic that describes what I'm talking about:

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the Stiff. Swing Speed is around 110 with the SUperfast. I gained about 5 mph.
"Edit: I also discovered I had to snap my wrists earlier and stronger when playing the longer shaft. Just and FYI to try out. " I didn't want to do anything like that for one club. I'ld end up snap hooking all my other clubs just to be sriaght with that one.

Here is a picture of the red outline.

765970627_oqMdn-L-1.jpg

Gotcha. I only focus on doing that with the driver and it hasn't hurt my other clubs yet. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

JB Did my pic not come up? I can't see the pics when I'm at work. Stupid cr@ppy computer.

JB Did my pic not come up? I can't see the pics when I'm at work. Stupid cr@ppy computer.

It did not, so I edited out the pic (it did not work) and added that one for people.

Just ordered a SF TP with Fubuki 73. The used one I saw was gone the next day, so no dice there. Found a great price on the club through family connection and couldn't pass up getting the premium shaft. My club got a TP in recently and I've had the chance to hit it at the range, this one looked perfectly square and it wasn't going right. It was hitting high bombs though, and very forgiving. I went with the Fubuki because I've hit them in other clubs and just love the feel, and I think the ~65g HD6 is a little loose feeling. We'll see how it goes, finally starting to get good results out of my i15 so it will be fun to compare the two, also with my 9015d setup.

Took a few swings with the SuperFast on Friday night at Golf Town. Holy crap!! Ok, the first swing didn't work out, but the next one, OMG, LONG and STRAIGHT!!! Same with the next few swings. Really long and dead straight. Plus my club head speed was up 7-8 mph. This one may be a keeper. Going to try it a bit more and definitely it will be te one I wan to spend the most time with at the outing. I've never had much luck with TM drivers, but the SuperFast rocks!!

So i've logged 3 rounds and 3 driving range sessions with my new SF. Man this thing is a beast. It's got mean intentions. I'm still gonna chop an inch off the shaft and here's why. This driver only seems to have one intention and thats to hit the ball as FAR as possible. Out here in the desert you got maybe 2-5 yards of rough before it's miles and miles of desert. ( I don't mean sand, i mean cactus, joshua trees, and rocks with scorpions and snakes underneath them)And I really want to to be able to work the ball like I could with my R9 460. Hitting it currently 15-20 yards on avg farther than the r9 460 (Actually the carry is roughly the same. I"m getting more roll out with the SF. ) So i'm gonna sacrifice a little distance for more workability. So now i'm gonna trade the r9 460 and my accompanying shafts and probably tryout the new SF 3w. Not cuz I want to match my driver with my 3w, but because of all the great buzz it's been getting around here..

I have to say I am in LOVE with this club! Ive played 3 rounds with it with my lowest scores ive ever had. Being able to turn all but one of the par 5's into par 4's makes cutting down my scores Cake. My average drive distance is 315 yards in calm wind with a low piercing ball flight which I had never been able to get before with my Nike Saquatch or my TaylorMade Burner Draw (trying to fight a slice I actully did fix :D ) So far my only regret is that I didnt get the TP model with the open face which is how ive started to set up with my new swing this year. But Nuf said this club is staying in my bag for a long time.

Took a few swings with the SuperFast on Friday night at Golf Town. Holy crap!! Ok, the first swing didn't work out, but the next one, OMG, LONG and STRAIGHT!!! Same with the next few swings. Really long and dead straight. Plus my club head speed was up 7-8 mph. This one may be a keeper. Going to try it a bit more and definitely it will be te one I wan to spend the most time with at the outing. I've never had much luck with TM drivers, but the SuperFast rocks!!

Do we see a switch in your future?

So I have a decision to make: I got my Superfast a couple of weeks ago and have basically been hitting it horribly. When I demo'd it I was just hitting on a monitor so I never really got to see how it performed out on the course before I bought it. I had some good results on the monitor so I was super excited to get this thing out on the course, but so far its kind of been a bust. I tend to play a draw on my irons and my woods, but with the superfast I just hook it like crazy. Even when I do feel like I get a hold of one, I'm not getting near the distance I should be. I also got the superfast 3W and I'm happy with that club, in fact I hit it further and straighter than the driver.

So I'm thinking of maybe trading it in for the TP version, which to me, logically would help with my hook. I never demo'd the TP because at the time I made an un-educated guess that I didn't need the tour version, without actually knowing what it was. I wont be able to try one out for a few days, so figured I'd see what you guys had to say in the meantime. Thanks for the help!

JLowe,

I would get the TP. Tour Pros tend to hook when they miss the draw. The TP is 3 degrees open.

So I have a decision to make: I got my Superfast a couple of weeks ago and have basically been hitting it horribly. When I demo'd it I was just hitting on a monitor so I never really got to see how it performed out on the course before I bought it. I had some good results on the monitor so I was super excited to get this thing out on the course, but so far its kind of been a bust. I tend to play a draw on my irons and my woods, but with the superfast I just hook it like crazy. Even when I do feel like I get a hold of one, I'm not getting near the distance I should be. I also got the superfast 3W and I'm happy with that club, in fact I hit it further and straighter than the driver.

So I'm thinking of maybe trading it in for the TP version, which to me, logically would help with my hook. I never demo'd the TP because at the time I made an un-educated guess that I didn't need the tour version, without actually knowing what it was. I wont be able to try one out for a few days, so figured I'd see what you guys had to say in the meantime. Thanks for the help!

Most people dont like the shaft in the driver to, they find it to be really flimsy. That could be the case also, and maybe just a shaft change, but the TP seems like a good fix to if your hooking the regular one that much.

Superfast Driver? What do you like? Dislike?

Superfast Driver? What do you like? Dislike?

Ok guys.... I'm looking for a new Driver and the Superfast/bad is on the top of the list.... Now tell me, what do you like and dislike about this driver? Thanks CC

CC,
I went ahead and merged this with a rather long SuperFast thread we have.

awesome JB! Thanks!

I have only hit it one time and it was in an indoor simulator so I can't really say until after next weekend but I did like the feel and it was really light and I could swing the hell out of it. In the simulator I was getting around 280 yds with it, normally I'm around 265 in one of those stupid simulators so maybe it is longer?

Ok guys.... I'm looking for a new Driver and the Superfast/bad is on the top of the list.... Now tell me, what do you like and dislike about this driver? Thanks CC

clay, i've demo'd it a few times and it is nice. for me though, it launched way too high, i didn't prefer the sound and i was super leary of the stock shaft. again, it feels great and it goes but i just prefer my R9. i say you go and hit it, and hit a bunch of other offerings, you'll know which one you like the best. good luck pal.

Back